Tai Chi Class Protocols

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Lockjaw, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Killing you softly

First. The movements are learnt.
    Second. The breathing cycle connected with each movement is incorporated.
    Third. Awareness of the flow of energy through the body is learned.

•Evaluate only the performance of self. Avoid the temptation to evaluate the performance of others.
    It is best to acknowledge only what is practiced correctly in others, and to find what needs correction in ones self.

•Refrain from attempting to teach Tai Chi to others until you have mastered the form to be taught, and the underlying principles that must be understood and embodied in your own practice before you can teach others.

•Those who are new to the form look to the senior students to model the code of honor and respect.
    Therefore, strive to model the code of honor and respect in class and beyond.

•Find a teacher you respect and then demonstrate respect for that teacher in all learning situations.
    Speak when requested by your teacher, and do not interrupt when your teacher speaks.
    Perform what your teacher requests, to the best of your ability.

•Respect the form, respect the process of learning the form, respect all those who are learning, and respect those from the past who have been the guardians and preservers of the form and made it possible for you to learn today.

•Be attentive and practice what is taught.
    Avoid the temptation to demonstrate what you have not practiced and do not understand.
    For it will always be evident that you do not understand, and have not practiced.

•Share what you have learned openly.
    At the same time, respect that all others, regardless of their level of practice and proficiency, have things to teach you that you have not yet learned.

•Be patient with your self and honor your learning process and timeline.

•Be kind and supportive to others and honor their learning process and timeline.

•Celebrate what you have learned, and at the same time, strive to continue to learn more.

•Remain true to yourself at all times, and avoid the temptation to copy any other.
    Practice the form in your own way, consistent with your own ability level and unique learning style.

2. RexKwonDo Jones

RexKwonDo Jones Valued Member

This all sounds like great advice for ANY style!

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Maybe.Overall it is pretty general stuff and not particularly TC specific,although much of it at least it was cut and pasted from the World T'ai Chi and Ch'i Gung Day website. I'm thinking DM didn't write that for their site.

Points 1-3 will vary as to when they will be imparted depending on system/teacher. Esp something as nebulous as to the actual meaning of "Awareness of the flow of energy through the body is learned."

Point 2 will vary depending on which breathing system and when learned.

While there's nothing wrong with it that piece doesn't really say much more than apply yourself and be a nice kid. Was there a point to your posting this,DM?

4. Lockjaw

This is general rules of conduct for our classes.
    This was not copy and/or pasted from another site.
    This was posted as a general mind set for martial artists.
    It's ok if you like it or not, but there is no need for personal attacks.

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Ok, in all fairness you may not be aware that the first part is here -

www.worldtaichiday.org/tai.../how_are_movements_taught.html

whether it originated on that site or somewhere else I don't know, I do see it on other sites also. I didn't say there was anything wrong with it.Perhaps you should have made clear from the beginning it was the protocols for your particular school.

I fail to see anything on my part which could be construed as a personal attack. However if you feel something is I advise you to report me.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

No need for anyone to be reported. Let's not start this thread off on the wrong foot please.

7. Lockjaw

The link you posted in not in service, and I never said the protocols were unique to the general way to think about martial arts.

I see this as a guide for people starting martial arts for the first time, and what could be expected of them in any given structured class.

8. embra

embra Valued Member

Personally I don't think there is much structure to TCC, even with Forms.

Techniques and their Applications are much more interesting, but I have not found many folk who are clear about any of this.

9. Lockjaw

All great Tai Chi Chuan masters since classical times have practised Tai Chi Chuan as a martial art and all Tai Chi Chuan classics have described it as a martial art, although
    if you do not know the martial dimension of Tai Chi Chuan, you would have missed the essence of this wonderful art, and would probably have practised it as a dance.

Even if your main intention of practising Tai Chi Chuan is for health reasons, you would have missed the best health benefits of Tai Chi Chuan if you do not practise it as a martial art.
    This is because if you practise Tai Chi Chuan as a dance, the most you can get are the benefits a dance can give such as flexibility, elegance, loosening muscles and blood circulation.

The proverbial good health of a Tai Chi Chuan master, including his internal power, remarkable stamina and mental freshness, is obtainable only if you practise it as a martial art, if you train yourself to become a formidable fighter whereby these health features are essential.

Amongst the various dimensions of Tai Chi Chuan, those of internal force cultivation and combat application are necessary if you train Tai Chi Chuan as a martial art.
    Without internal force a Tai Chi Chuan exponent would have no stamina to last a fight and no striking power to subdue an opponent; without knowing how to apply Tai Chi Chuan techniques to combat he would be helpless when attacked.

Manifesting the yin-yang principle of the Taiji unity, internal force and combat application compliment each other.
    If a Tai Chi Chuan exponent has only internal force but no combat application, he may be able to give impressive demonstration of his power, such as taking punches without sustaining injury or sending a demonstration partner flying backward, but he would be unable to defend himself in a real fight.

If he has only combat application but no internal force, he may be able to discuss the wonderful combative techniques of Tai Chi Chuan intellectually or perform some pre-arranged sparring elegantly, yet when involved in a real fight he may be easily defeated by a clumsy but mechanically stronger opponent.
    Internal force cultivation, all styles of Tai Chi Chuan are effective for combat.