"Tai-Chi Belly"

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by RAGINGbuddha, Nov 23, 2011.

1. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Or all guys in TC.

I think using a sword against coins is a requirement for that. Only if Dean W. approves,tho'.

2. embra

embra Valued Member

Forgot about that little episode! TJL still has a bit to learn yet on the "spew forth with drivel" front. Anyway he's on a temp ban. A few weeks of MAP-stinence will see him morph back into one of
    a) back fresh ready to cut coins with sword (schizoid insanity beckoning).
    b) cool down a touch - maybe then some MAPers will think TCC aint full of freaks .
    c) back to chi-spew - which whilst always baloney was kind of entertaining. Its the wing-chun martial talk that has helped tip him over the cliff this time.

3. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I wouldn't call Lou a troll.He just likes a bit of fun but carries it too far.

A troll is someone such as Puma who resurfaces every few months to carry out attacks on people who are names in this industry.So far he has attacked Steve Morris,Dennis Jones,Gavin Mulholland and Russell Stutely and one or two others.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I don't think he is necessarily malicious, but Lou comes on, posts crap (and often lies) then clogs up threads with his drivel before going "hahah just lulz" - definition of troll IMO

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Nope that's wrong. There's having a sense of humor and then there's acting like a child that takes things too far when he's trying to play with the grown ups. He doesn't understand fully the social boundaries in place and so in his ignorance over steps them whilst thinking he is being amusing.

Really if you cared about your art you would want to ensure you are supplying accurate information rather than contributing to the negative perceptions that already exist.

A lot of time? You've been train what about five minutes?

Perfecting form? You're a complete n00b!

No thankfully I don't know you personally but I do know how you present yourself in this forum and it was within that context I made my comments, incidentally I think they still apply.

What secret would that be? My post was in response to your comments about lactic acid. I notice you've avoided what I said about your points on that.

My screen name is that of a TV character, yeah of course I'm too serious. What I am however is serious when appropriate, usually during discussions of my chosen systems or related areas and I tend to see the same trait in other serious practioners regardless of their system.

So in short you haven't done much and what you have done hasn't been for long or on a regular basis.

Maybe you should read more and offer advice less.

6. Dean Winchester

Ah he's banned?

Er sorry.

That'll teach me to switch between tabs on my iPad.

7. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

What I was talking about were the beneficial effects of shoong while practicing your tai chi form. When you are not relaxed, you might get some benefit from the exercise (you may tone some muscles, improved circulation) but you do not get the full benefit of tai chi that you can only get by being really, really relaxed.

When you relax the dantien it enhances the circulation. Anyone who argues against that doesn't really practice tai chi.

Dean Winchester: I have spent 5 years perfecting my Chen Manching form. At one point I spend almost 5 hours a day, 7 days a week doing nothing but practicing. Maybe that's not really 15 or 40 years, but for me it's really good.

The stuff I talk about never contradicts tai chi teachings.

The secret of relaxing the dantien can only be found by practicing! You've got to be really, really relaxed!

I'm not a troll. As a matter of fact, when I talk about my art I'm frank and blunt and I don't hide my beliefs, but I don't comment on other people's beliefs, either. I think it's great that you are all skeptics! It proves that your brains aren't all stupid and mushy.

But this thread had nothing to do with ch'i. I was talking about relaxation. Relax the dantien: this is a big secret of tai chi: how to relax. You think you're relaxed? No. Relax more. Find the areas that are tense. Relax more. With total relaxation you should have the full aerobic effects of the form. Otherwise you only get a small portion of the benefits.

I wish you hadn't banned me. That was rude.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't think you have Lou. You joined MAP in April 2010 and said you were training yourself. It was several months before you joined a school and by your own admission had your eyes opened as to how you were not training correctly.

It was the result of MOD discussion. If you have a problem please PM one of the MOD Team.

9. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Lou - you've just been caught out in a lie.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  10. embra

embra Valued Member

TJL, no-one believes all this baloney, but if you start lying to yourself it is simply pointless.

11. Hannibal

Fixed for accuracy

12. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Merci :)

13. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

For your information:

I started learning the Chen Manching form when I was 22. By the time I started going to classes I had learned many of the basics all by my lonely, little self. However, there were things that weren't correct: keeping my wrists straight, my rooting needed improvement, turning with my hip, not double weighting. My form needed work. But, I had learned many of the basics of the form completely by myself.

Now I've gotten so good at it that I can actually use my tai chi in sparring from time to time. I'm proud of that; it took work to get this far.

Now on to other matters, ye fellow tai chi enthusiasts.

When I began my bit about relaxing I was dead on the money. This isn't about that; this about you not liking me. But more than that, this is about you not liking yourselves. Let me explain.

--------------------

The post that is commonly used to implicate that I am, indeed a lying troll was because of the post regarding the incident with my brother, in our very own living room. In front of family. How bloody very embarrassing.

To reiterate: my brother was in the US army. He's a dangerous ox when he wants to be, and I respect his capacity to damage another human being. End of story. However, because in that situation I kept my head I was able to deflect ALL of his shots. I was impressed with myself, this showed marked improvement because he has flattened me before, more than once. I posted it, using the guise of some alternate event because I wanted to boast about how well I'd done (!), and perhaps also a bit as some awkward kind of self therapy.

However, it's delicious food for the pigs. I'll leave it at that.

Because I regularly and earnestly practice yoga meditation I have seen some pretty remarkable stuff. The man that "changed the weather"? That DID happen, on the #3 bus in Norfolk. That one runs down Chesapeake for any PIs out there. That event was such a shock to my system that I reflected on it for weeks. The story is actually even more incredible than that, unfortunately. I'm afraid to even divulge the whole episode though; it certainly will not be believed by the huddled masses gathered HERE.

Have a wonderful day. I will answer any and all questions!

14. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

fixed!

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

The huddled masses will believe such things when at least one of the many who have claimed such ability will do it on camera with Walter Cronkite present.Or at least Mike Wallace.How come no one ever has?

By your own admission after going and getting TC instruction you told us you realized you didn't know jack,and had been doing everything wrong. Perhaps you remember your frankness on the matter and how impressed we all were at your honesty.

Now you're claiming-what? That you "learned" basics,whatever they are,on your own. You learned theory and choreography.And youtube applications.

"Dean Winchester: I have spent 5 years perfecting my Chen Manching form. At one point I spend almost 5 hours a day, 7 days a week doing nothing but practicing. Maybe that's not really 15 or 40 years, but for me it's really good."

5 hours a day practicing what,exactly? You couldn't start on "perfecting" your form until you got instruction and corrections-that is to say,learning how to do it correctly. So you spent 5 hours a day in mostly incorrect practice- I don't care how many books you read about it,most books don't say anything of worth anyway,and those that do still require an understanding of the what and how. I'm not saying if you practiced that much prior to getting actual instruction you wouldn't get something out of it.Just not much of any depth at all. Kinesthetic perception and possibly relaxation of a sort.

I've known people who practiced on their own for years before getting instruction. Those two things are about the sum of what any of them had,in spite of the best of intentions. Gives 'em a leg up on beginners but that's about it.

using TC in sparring-you've developed TC's issuing and receiving? Been doing at least a lot of ph to develop this ? Like many hours a week of it with people w/more ph skills than yourself? If you can't issue and receive utilizing TC methods it's rather debatable if what you do in sparring has much to do w/TC. Except maybe using theoretical concepts. Ain't no use if you ain't got the juice.

I don't think you're a troll,Lou. Yarn spinner at times.

PS-Once again,Professor's name-not Chen,but Cheng.

16. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Hahaha.... listen to you.

Yeah, admittedly: I spent a lot of time practicing what was wrong. But I've spent a lot of time practicing it right, too.

I respect your dedication, time, money, and energy you have invested. Your goals have been realized: you are probably a very good fighter with a wide range of versatile moves. When I approached tai chi, it wasn't for martial reasons. I already knew how to fight! (or so I thought...). Now I'm better at fighting, too! And yes, on the opportunities that I find sparring partners, I do catch myself doing tai chi, or using rooting and tai chi footwork. My kicks used to be very much taekwondo oriented, now they all look like 37 form kicks. That is to say, I keep flexible... but I'm digressing.

I did a really good job learning the basics, but I needed (and still need) formal instruction.

I've got plenty of "juice"! I'm in pretty good shape.

Why aren't you being supportive? Why insult my enthusaism? I'm not being combative. You keep coming to the martial end of it: I'm not a soldier and I'm not training to be robocop; I'm a massage therapist and I'll beat someone's bottom black and blue if they touch me the wrong way. You dig, brotha man? But let's not think about that. Life's complicated enough as it is.

You are a martial artist. If you are a blackbelt martial artist you should approach this with more maturity and establish circles of communication if you want to discuss the finer points of some of the things I've learned (like how to relax, how to use the mind to guide relaxation and enhance shoong.) Maybe you could offer advice instead of accusation? I seem to do pretty well when I spar and fight, that seems to be a hot topic around here. Unless of course it's just more of that "my art is better than thou art" baloney. Unless we're talking BJJ. BJJ is gospel. Unless the homeboy you decide to "roll" with has a jackknife in his boot. What then, homey?

Best thing is to practice tai chi, be confident in your favorite sport, and not antagonize others. Even Big Mikey might agree with that one.

17. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

If the truth antagonizes you then that is nobody's fault but your own.

18. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

1. Your signature is a direct insult to my beliefs.

2. You are trolling.

3. Let's stay on topic: the tai chi belly; the OP's sifu has him do abdominal breathing, ever expanding, never shrinking. Why is this?

19. Hannibal

Your beliefs are unsubstantiated at best and just wrong at worst. In and of itself this would not be an issue but you use said beliefs as "proof" to argue points, which is why you consistently fail to hold together a cogent argument and often end up getting in a tizzy and often banned

20. Dean Winchester

His sig is a quote of something you posted so in what way is it an insult?

As for the topic well why don't we start by you saying how long you've been studying Tai Chi under a qualified teacher.

That way anyone who isn't in the know can balance what you say against your actual experience.

If you are getting bent out of shape due to how you are being treated then I suggest you look at how you conduct yourself on here, you are treated as a joke because for the most part you act like one.

Grow up a bit and you might find things change but then after all the BS you seem to have been caught out on I doubt it.