taekwondo park

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by neryo_tkd, Dec 28, 2004.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

what do you think about this idea?

The Korean Ministry of sport and culture announced that after the first selection, three locations for the taekwondo park have been decided on: Chunchon, Muju and Kyongju. The project is worth 165 billion won. 19 ministers decided on the locations taking into consideration 76 criteria. In the park many different things will be built, e.g. the Taekwondo Hall of Fame, a school, sports venues, shopping center... The decision on the location has to be made till the end of the year and everything has to be ready till the year 2013.

who would you put in the Taekwondo Hall of Fame?

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

First of all, I hope it is in Kyeong-ju... already the historical sites and stuff are a really good attraction and the area has the infrastructure to deal with it.

People for the TKD Hall of Fame (just a few - I want to save some for everyone else!)
    General Choi Hong-hi
    Hee-il Cho
    Chuck Norris
    Sang H. Kim

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... besides those mentioned by Thomas, I much admire Jhoon Rhee but would they include him being the "Father of American TKD"??

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hmmm....i don't know. i don't know what their criteria are, but i guess a person's contribution to taekwondo will be taken into consideration, so who knows.

as far as general choi is concerned, that's a 'must'.

5. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Has the political situation in S. Korea changed enough to allow that to happen? I agree he's a definite 'must to be in the TKD Hall of Fame, but I'm concerned some are not willing to let old animosities drop

6. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

i kinda think its a dumb idea,korea has better places to be spending there money
    coughcoughtakeoutnorthkoreacoughcough

if they do go through with it,it should have ALL different types of martial arts,it seems like alot of hype over just one

7. Topher

Topher allo!

Didn't Chuck Norris study Karate and/or Tang Soo Do

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

I think so yes, but he has got an honorary black belt in taekwondo too.

and as far as including other martial arts, i don't see any point in it. it's supposed to be a park dedicated specifically to taekwondo and i don't think that other MA should be included.

9. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Chuck Norris is a second degree black belt in Tang Soo Do. He studied at Osan Air Force base in Korea when he was in the military. This was Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan, and although I am sure it will start a huge arguement, Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan came from Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan.

The idea of a Hall of Fame is nice, but you know the politics it will create. The Koreans will be inducting every Tom, Dick and Harry they need something from. If you have ever been to a Korean run tournament you know all about all of the silly plaques and crap they give out before, during , and after the tournament. You would also be hard pressed to find a European or American, or any natianality other than Korean in the Korean Tae Kwon Do hall of fame.

I am not trying to start trouble here, but I have quite a bit of experience in this area. It is merely a prediction.

10. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Gen Choi obviously I'd also put Julia Cross in. She is absolutely fantastic

11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Andy Cap: Wow! Someone out there evn more disillusioned about some of the politics stuff than I am!!!! :p I agree with your post completely.

About the politics of Chuck Norris... I think they'd take him just for the sheer influence and world recognition of him... as well as guys like Phillip Rhee ("Best of the Best") and maybe even the rest of the cast... it's one of the best known and loved movies in Korea (having your national art glamorized in a Hollywood movie!)

About General Choi... he NEEDS to be in there. I hate to think that the way their politics are that he could be overlooked. But, then again, you won't find him in any TKD textbooks or articles in South Korea. On the plus side, maybe with the thawing of North-South relations and the desire to create a unifed TKD team, maybe the South would have to re-write history (again) and put Gneral Choi back in. I hope so.

12. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

the decision has been made: Muju will the location of the national taekwondo park. a plan has also been made as to when certain type of work has to be finished. in 2008 the park will be opened, because of the olympics of course.

13. awakened nature

awakened nature chi or pins and needles?

Young Ku Yun for hall of fame

14. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

There are quite a few people that should be included in the Hall of Fame. Besides the names already mentioned here are a couple more:

Sang Kyu Shim (the late TKD pioneer and frequent contributor to Taekwondo Times magazine)-- he wrote many articles on philiosophy and his views were always non-political in nature.

Charles Sereff -- was the biggest influence on most US practitioners of ITF Taekwon-Do. President of the USTF and at one time the Vice-President of the ITF. Awarded 9th Dan in TKD by Gen. Choi himself.

Richard Chun -- Author and Taekwondo teacher.

Nam Tae Hi -- another pioneer of early Taekwondo along with Gen. Choi

the list would also be incomplete without including the founders of the original "kwans" of taekwondo.

Ed Sell -- Highest ranking non-oriental Kukkiwon 9th Dan. President of the United States Chung Do Kwan Association.

H. U. Lee -- The late founder of the ATA (Songham) style of Taekwondo.

These are just a few more that should be considered.

15. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

I nominate...

Dear AndyCap and Thomas,

I completely agree (GASP :eek: )...The Taewon-Do Moo Duk Kwan is a definite by product of TangSooDo Moo Duk Kwan!

Now as to the nominations...

Hyun Jung Myon...One of the first generation of Chung Do Kwan Black Belts and second Kwan Jang Nim of the Oh Do Kwan.

Park Jung Tae...Major contributer to the ITF and the spread of TKD to the eastern bloc countries

Sang H. Kim (previously mentioned)...as a pioneer of quality training media for the WTF in the United States and abroad

TAEKWON!
    Spookey

16. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

Yes I agree... the late Grandmaster Park also founded the GTF which still exists in some form today. (My 2nd and 3rd Dans were from the GTF.)

Sabum Steve Hartsock

17. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

(The project is worth 165 billion won.) just wondering how much that is in £

18. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

heehe.. 7 pounds.. or $14 US.. hehehe.. j/k

19. Pocari Neko

Pocari Neko Learner Ninja

He gets my vote too.

20. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

More nominess ??

Does anyone have any more nominees?? I left out quite a few because I figured others would have a say.

I'd even throw Keith Yates into the mix. He has authored a few books on the subject of Taekwon-Do and has over 30 years experience and is a pioneer of "American" TKD.