System restore problem :(

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jabcrosshook, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Hi. My system has accumulated a few problems lately. The main one occurs when I open certain programmes and get error messages. For example, when I open MSN I get a box with title "msnmsgr.exe - Bad Image" and content "The application or DLL C:\Program Files\RXToolBar\sfcont.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette".

Now, aside from not knowing what the hell any of that means, I think RXToolBar is a piece of spyware. That's not the problem though. When I try to use system restore, I get a further error message which says the same thing as the message above but this time has the title "rstrui.exe - Bad Image". System restore then loads up but all the previous dates are blank and I cannot click any of them. I cannot click the arrows to change months either.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. murphy81

murphy81 GM COMPUTER SERVICES

It sounds like you have something nasty hiding in your computer, stopping you from accessing the System Restore application.

If you dont have it already, try downloading Ewido. type in google (might come up as AVG Anti-spyware now though as its changed).

Do a full system scanner, and see if it shows up with anything. I have found this the best program by far to spot spyware.

Can you open the Task Manager? (Ctrl>Alt>Del) This is sometimes a quick way to find out if something has gotten into your system.

Try this and see what results you have.

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

no.

rstrui.exe is a process which allows System Restore for Microsoft OS's. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Not sure why yours is corrupted a dll .... check the MS website for checks/patches and downloads

4. Thanks.. will do. However, I think this programme has corrupted a lot of dlls! MSN, Internet Explorer, System Restore etc :(

5. murphy81

Really..I had the same problem, and used Ewido to do a full scan, and things went back to normal again.:confused:

6. Sgt_Major

Have you uninstalled any software recently? Often this removed shared dll files

7. What do I search for? an rstrui.exe file? Or something else? I'm no good with computers!

Also downloaded the program (Ewido) mentioned above. Didn't solve the problem but cleared the system of a lot of unwanted crap. Thanks! :)

EDIT:

After about 3000 scans using Ewido, I've got rid of all the error messages when I load up Outlook, MSN etc. Now, when I use system restore, there's no error message and everything works BUT I can only restore back to yesterday :( Any chance to get old restore points back, or shall I just carry on?

Thanks both of you :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  8. murphy81

Ive been having probs with System Restore lately aswell, and cant find a solution. Usually can only restore back to the previous day, or no further than a few days, which kind of defeats its purpose.

Let me know if you find any solutions, will do the same ;)

9. Sgt_Major

10. murphy81

11. Sgt_Major

Do you still have your Windows CD? A re-install would sort it, but whether you want the hassle of that is up to you.