Swords are deadly

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by BGile, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yes, my thoughts also, not many words that you write or speak, but worthy of a careful look at IMHO...

Gary

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

So Pat do you play with swords, or just hit sticks?

I think the garrote is good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrote

More than one application, if you get the drift?

Just a piece of rope and it is now a very good weapon Hmmm next thing you will be registering rope Hmmm Hemp is a good rope product. LOL...

Hemp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

I could go on and on but I am satisfied with this post as of now ;)

Gary

3. satanicSkater

satanicSkater New Member

But wouldn't we be guilty of catering to US culture by allowing people to be armed? At least if I'm not armed I can't shoot myself, something which seems to happen rather a lot over the pond.

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

As in suicide?

5. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Catering to US culture? Do you know how long you (I assume that you're in the UK) have been disarmed? Not long. Has it done any good? Do you feel safer? Are they going to make kitchen utensils illegal soon? Sporks? Sticks & stones? Where does it end? When you start disarming your citizenry, it's a slippery slope, and the UK has fallen too far, IMO. You guys are screwed, get out while you can. Hell, come over here to the US, the girls love those silly Commonwealth accents, regardless of how ugly you are. ;)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  6. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

This is one of the reasons that I like the more rustic weapon arts, such as Okinawan Kobudo & Indonesian Silat. They're great with the improvised weapons & everyday objects.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Someone remind me of the topic of this thread. And by "remind me" I mean "prevent it from devolving into a debate about what's wrong with either the US or the UK." (Both of which are near and dear to my heart, despite my "commonwealth" accent fading just in time to do me no good whatsoever in high school.)

Stuart

EDIT: To be clear, I'm alright with a civil discussion regarding the role that weapon rights play in different cultures. But don't let this turn into another "that's what's wrong with country X" thread. Cheers.

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Ok again my latest sword purchased from Ron K in CT.

This is a good one and handles well heavy though. Stamped, forged and then ground I believe. Nice handle it fits my hand. Have not tried to chop/hammer into any coconuts yet. But will soon. The back of the blade is the best for that, not the edge. Smashed to smitherens is usually the answer LOL

Gary

Attached Files:

9. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Sorry, I forgot to put a smiley in that post!

Corrected. :)

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

this thread is about swords being dangerous (d-uh) and some old man being off his meds (or drunk or high).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  11. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

I don't think it is a case of ban everything and that eventually the governent will ban everything because it could be used to kill somone, as afterall they would then have to chop our hands off wouldn't they?

However Guns are not legal here and we have far less gun crimes than many other countries. Sword/knife crimes are rising here and this is why it has become an issue here in the UK. O.k kitchen knifes have often been reported in domestic violence and can probably be shown time and time again in street crimes, but the concern here is that more crimes are being committed in recent times with fantasy blades and samurai swords etc.

In the PI some swords like the bolo are still used for general day to day chores so will exist there but here in the UK we do not have any use for a sword other than martial arts training and collecting, so there is no apparent reason for a 15 year old child to go and buy one, yet the shops are starting to sell them so cheap that they can.

At the end of the day to some extent it is a power trip to hold a gun or a sword and this is perhaps the reason some people own them in the first place and may even carry them for this reason and to overpower someone else, but once it is drawn into an altrication the chances of it then being used more than double. I do not want my children growing up in a world of every individual being armed to the teeth, as the risk of the weapons being used will increase.

Bammx is right about one thing, they have no control over here of the foreign gangs and do not intend to control them either, they are in effect leaving them to get on with it in-house, while most incidennts are between themselves, but I cannot see it being long before they do not keep it between themselves.

I witnessed a fight between a gang of Polish gentlemen beating up one lad and stamping on his head several times (no weapons) and on the police arrival they said there is nothing they can do because nobody is pressing charges so even with witnesses they cannot do much more than keep a note of the incident and they said this happens all the time between cultures and the Police said the different cultures deal with their own this way and it seems to be accepted within their own community as a way of dealing with each other and nobody speaks out or grasses regardless of how badly beaten. So they have in effect got a law of their own.

I personally think this will eventually be a bigger problem as the communities increase in size.

So imagine throwing weapons into the equasion as well. Make it legal to carry guns, swords, knifes, then everybody will and those accustomed to fighting already will have to always draw a knife first before using their fists because they will half expect the other person to have a knife, so of course you will find an equaliser and pre-empt the situation.

Alot of people in the UK will still opt not to use a weapon over their fists because they do not want to do the time if caught, as it is illegal. Make the weapons legal and they will be used more often than not.

I know there is lots of sides to this argument and I agree with most reasons why they perhaps should not be banned etc, but I can also see why there is a cause for concern. It is afterall the person responsible and not the weapon, :topic: but we are in a generation that expects everybody to work and put children in childcare, family morals are declining, there is no respect between children and elders and thus we are starting to have a problem with teenage crimes, but this is an entirely different subject and perhaps the core to our rising problems here in the UK and yes the government would rather act towards the obvious problem and not the root of the problem.

But anyway.....

Love Lucy :love:

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Lucy this is an interesting way to say this about thugs beating up people.
    There are laws in effect that would put them all in jail for quite a while in USofA.
    Pretty sad situation if you ask me. In a country with individual rights, guy in our country will go and take care of the problem for he has rights not to be beaten like that...Of course cowards are a plenty now.

The Gov't does nothing??? LOL Sounds like 80 years ago in America until the "untouchables" decided it was time to stop it.

We have weapons for sure, and when you take them away what you are talking about occurs to often.

You mention:

I witnessed a fight between a gang of Polish gentlemen beating up one lad and stamping on his head several times (no weapons) and on the police arrival they said there is nothing they can do because nobody is pressing charges so even with witnesses they cannot do much more than keep a note of the incident and they said this happens all the time between cultures and the Police said the different cultures deal with their own this way and it seems to be accepted within their own community as a way of dealing with each other and nobody speaks out or grasses regardless of how badly beaten. So they have in effect got a law of their own

I have seen it in quite a bit in schools that are bully oriented. When you have cultures able to do that to each other, and be above the law it is not good.
    IMHO.

I had a guy who worked for me who killed a gangbanger with a knife, he was at a party and was told he was marked for death by this leader. So he just knifed him, went to jail for 5 years...Ten years later was doing fine. The guy had guts for sure.

I say he did the right thing. He had no choice, he was marked and that was that.

Gary

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

:D

14. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I play with everything;) but would have no problem being licenced either as after all I have nothing to hide. Yes we would lose and eliment of our freedom in that respect, but making it just a little harder for the wrong individuals to gain access to these items.

Yes any real criminal who wants one, will get one, but why make it easier for them and why make it easy for the chancers and young kids who may make a one time mistake whilst being hot headed. Should we make it easier for them to ruin their lives just because they have easy access to something that they would otherwise not have had.

It is not like a culture where swords are an every day impliment where we are taught about the realities of owning a sword, parents dont know they have got them so they cannot educate them with the right morals of having one, and quite frankly some parents themselves have doubious morals anyway, so maybe a licencing program where they educate individuals wishing own items such as swords could be a good thing.

Here it is a legal requirement to lock up your shotguns, and if they come round and do a spot check and the proper precausions are not being adhered to then they take your licence away and confiscate your guns, that I feel is reasonable and ensures that the owners of shotguns are acting responsibly, I see no reason why the same requirements can not be put in places for items such as swords, which if we are honest are designed for one purpose and one purpose only. Killing an opponent.

Yes it is great to live in the land of the free and all that, but lets be honest, there is no such thing, that is why the ten comandments were brought out and made an important value in life, to help maintain somekind of order but as times change, new guidlines need to be adapted to keep us all living in a world in relative harmony.

Just my thoughts

Best regards

Pat

Best regards

Pat

15. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Pat,

Good post. Thanks

I agree with you in much of what you say. But over here in the US of A that statement about freedoms and giving them up might get you shot ;) By the indignant freedom fighter :confused: If you get my drift. Freedoms all have a price tag on them. From the thug, to the Royality, they all are subject to a code.

Gary

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  16. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

I absolutely agree!

Freedom is NOT free.
    In fact,MOST of the worlds population are confused by and can't handle "freedom" and democracy.
    They don't know what to do with either of them,hence the reason it is easier to be told what to do with your life than figuring it out on your own.

"simplicity is the hardest thing to master".

Freedom is simple everyday common sense....
    theoretically speaking. ;)
    Some cultures are taught from day one to respect human life while others are taught to spit on it and the whole "I'm gonna get mines" attitude doesn't mix with the former.

So now we come full circle.....

:topic:

Sorry for the off topic bit.

Damien

17. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

This is what has happened since our (US & UK) gun rights have been infringed upon...
    http://forums.cigaraficionado.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9426054/m/376101823/p/4
    From SgtGlock:
    After spending almost 22 years in Law enforcement, I can tell you that I have seem way more stabbings and clubbing over gunshot victims. They have made gun ownership illegal in Australia and England. Since then the home invasion robberies have skyrocketed because the criminals know the citizens have no firearms. They break into the home and beat the victims with clubs or use edged weapons. Getting rid of firearms will not stop violence.

People need to remember that the Police are taking reports of a crime 90 percent of the time. On site arrest are not as common as one would think. A person should utilize whatever means necessary to protect yourself and family. Do not rely solely on the police department for your safety.

Dave
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sgtglock/my_photos
    If the world's governments follow the slippery slope that began with popularizing Gun Control, civilians will be completely disarmed, and the law abiders will be sitting ducks. Well, screw that!!! That is why I don't support gun control. Anyone that actually looks at the facts can see that criminals don't care about any infringement upon a person's right to bear arms, they will do what they want, but they love such laws at the same time, since it almost guarantees that their victims are not armed.
    It doesn't matter what is used. Guns just make it easier to kill someone. Swords, Bats, or Knives are just as effective, you just need to get your hands a little dirty and it takes a few more seconds.

Besides, how easy is it to fashion a sword out of a leaf spring? Or grind an edge onto any sufficiently long piece of metal? Not long. Anyone can do it in their basement. It's way easier to do that than make a gun in some kind of underground illegal gun factory, and yet the gov't is finding them in the UK, aren't they? Anyone with a library card or an I'net connection can learn how to make a simple blade. All it takes is around $50-$100 worth of supplies from the hardware store. & then what are they gonna do, make tools illegal? It won't end, so let us, as rational people, not let it start.

I've read that three times & all I got out of it was a headache. :rolleyes:

Yes, guns and swords can be used to kill people, but I won't use my guns or swords (or my knives, or my spears, for that matter) to commit criminal acts. I never have, & I never will. THAT IS WHAT SEPARATES ME FROM CRIMINALS. Not what I own, but WHAT I DO. The Right to Bear Arms is for this reason, and is inalienable: so that I may defend my life and the lives of my loved ones from any threat to their lives, whether it be by armed criminals, armed invasion troops, or armed gov't troops acting at the whim of some oppresive inhuman regime.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Cesare Beccaria, On Crime and Punishment

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War (1775)

Don't you mean the Code of Hammurabi? :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's a nice sentiment, but you can have all the laws you want & the LAW BREAKERS WILL NEVER OBEY THEM.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  18. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Freedom costs $1.05 :D

19. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

That's right, you can kill plaque and tooth decay. Fight on!

20. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Don't forget the floss (for plaque or fellow man) that can kill big time un roll and the make it about 3 feet long doubling over several times and then you can weave it, add a couple of loops at the end...The Garrote.

I personally like a good strong piece of 3/16ths inch line (cloths line) put it down your pants with one end slipped under your belt so it won't fall out and now you have a good Garrote or just to tie someone up after you have stopped them "criminal action" and need to contain. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.