sword preferences?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by themorningstar, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I assume you are talking about the ones you buy for training with that are commercially available around the FMA world.

Well if so I think they are adequate and cheep enought to train with, after all would you realy want to bash the living daylights out of a sword that cost you a few hundred Pounds / Dollars?

They are good basic blades that you can beat the living daylights out of and not worry about breaking the bank. They are made to a basic design from ild steel and yes the handles can be prone to breaking or comming off in your hand after a while, especially if you bash them around like I do.

I am in the proccess of designing a Stainless Steel range that is made to a high quality but at an affordable cost that you can afford to train with for my wife's company, to match the training daggers she has comming out in October this year (sorry for the advertising Yoda but just trying to make a point :eek: ). and Hopefully these blades will stand up to more punishment.

But at the end of the day you get what you pay for, if you pay for a Nissan Micra, dont be dissapointed when the Ferrari does'nt turn up. :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I have an Antique Kris and I would not use it because of it's value (unless someone broke into the house that is and it was the nearest thing I could get my hands on :cool: ). Modern reproductions are excellent for training with as long as the cost is small enought that I don't mind bashing the hell out of it. Again if it cost a lot of money, I am more prone to either train with it in my Solo training or hang it on the wall.

3. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

Ginuntings can also be used as double sword. There are a couple of swords in the Pekiti-Tirsia Kali arsenal which also includes the Talibong. But the Ginunting is the official sword of the PTK System.

Check your PM, I replied there with more info.

4. themorningstar

themorningstar New Member

my thanks to all of you who replied... for those that use ginuntings... i have a question... i have "played" w/ different ginuntings over the years, ranging from mang leo gaje's to mang nene tortal's to tim waid's combat version to a battle antique i have since given away. my question for you is, why do you think the ginunting has evolved or de-volved(depends on your stand) from its original form? and for those that have a reproduction(sinawalitrade or valiantco) what are your thoughts in comparison to the prior blades mentioned?

5. themorningstar

i know this question wasn't directed at me, but i just wanted to comment that i miss the "old" doce pares live swords... ::sigh::

6. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

SImple,
    Through critiques by those that use it in the battle Field. The FRBn (Recon) is the modern day warrior that uses this as part of their combat wear in patrol and battle fireld conditions. The recovery, light weight balance is made for optimal thrust as well as slashing ability. Most Filipino blades are Blade heavy and are made for HAcking. The ginunting is a fighting weapon made for one purpose. it is not an all purpose tool. They have their version which to me is MY FAVORITE BABY!!! The FRbn Kabar Utiliy Blade. It's very much like the U.S. Marines Kabar but Bigger and stronger! Think of an Kabar with attitude that has the decapitating weight of a bolo but short enough to be a thrusting weapon and have good balance. it is also made as a versatile field tool that can use the butt as a hammering (impact) , back of the top part of the blade can cut wire (bone , muscle , spine) Think of the withdrawal . Sorry I'm starting to salivate again and getting out of topic.

Trial and error. It's current design was made for ease of carry and quick deployment. There is a specific way to wear this weapon together with 80 plus pounds of Military gear to include firearms. As silent blade said, there are stories of how different blades have been used in encounters to include the other side (Muslim rebels not in favor of our Government) from Mindanao who's common weapon is not the kris but the Barong which dobles as a farming tool. I 've seen the proof (Body parts) In the battle of making statements with visual and psychological impact like decapitation and dismemberment is part of the game. You need only to see this in the current world events not limited to the Philippines internal political turmoils which have been around for centuries.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  7. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

They don't make them any more? What models were they? ie, espada y daga sets, Pinuti's, ect. How long ago did they stop production?

8. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Bayani, can you post a picture of the FRbn Kabar Utility blade? What does FRbn stand for??

9. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Anyone ever used a Panabas?

10. themorningstar

yes crucible, sad to say...the old style live swords are a thing of the past... i remember the great espada y daga set they had years ago, a picture of it can be found in mark wiley's first book on cabales serrada=exceptional feel, best pinuti/baraw combo ever; i also remember the quality of their pinuti=great balance and good steel w/ traditional acorn pommel handle; kampilan and kris w/ dragon head handle...beautiful mother of pearl inlays;their espada(mano momoy's style long straight blade) was so good that they even made a few for dan inosanto with his name on the crossguard. ahhh.. the good old days, how i miss those swords... anybody out there w/ one of those old pinuti's? i'm still looking for one( mine broke while transporting furniture years ago)... ah well... yes... sad sad me.

11. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

hm. What did you think of thier kampilan and kris models? Compared to the real thing?

12. themorningstar

honestly, the kris was a visayan kris(pointy), it wasn't much compared to the real thing but looked great due to the handle and had a pretty nice balance.. but it was the kampilan that stood out, sad to say i almost favor it more than the real thing... length was around 30-31 in. wide blade, heavy spine, dual points, one hand compatible or two if you prefer and also had a nasty dragon's head...not the most traditional of blades compared to the traditional moro style but nice enough substitutes....

13. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Force recon Battalion.(Frbn)

[​IMG]

14. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Nice... That, I could probably chop a horse's legs off with...

Visayan meaning Visayan interpretation of a Moro blade, right?

15. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Silentblade, Bayani, what are the Pekiti weapons of choice for espada y daga?

16. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

A sword and a dagger... :) specific blades of choice are nice but not everyone can afford to own one or continously carry with them. What matters is that you have an understanding of the weapons you posses in your hand when your skill is called upon. PTK does have though a ginunting sword and a ginunting dagger to complement it.

17. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Bayani, is this a public blade or solely military issue? How long has GT Gaje been working with the military? I know in the past GT Nene Tortal was working with the military, do you know if it was it a diffrent branch or his contract expired? Thanks. Is there someplace online where I read about the FRbn Pekiti training?

18. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

What's the ginunting dagger look like?

19. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

THe FMA together with other types of Martial arts have always been sought after by the Military. Nene was not the only one working with the mIlitary so many other FMA instructors have also done so.

Many systems have been used loosely around because the members have studied different arts knowing that theyhave to use it to save their lives. They researched different systems tried adn in the end choose Leo Gaje's system over many others that were in contention.

Alot of thought and specifics were created for a combat unit. Separate Martial arts from Combat fighting arts . PTK fits the mentality of FRbn.

20. themorningstar

Visayan meaning Visayan interpretation of a Moro blade, right?[/QUOTE]
    yes... visayan kris blades are in a class unto themselves concerning kris(pointy tips lend themselves to thrusts much easier) only thing i tend to not enjoy w/ them tho is the loss of blade"lean" that moro swords typically have. visayan kris swords and most other provincial copies are for the matter straight in construction thereby helping a strictly stick fighter to have a blade to use similar to a stick...
    oh and yes... the old kampilan from d.p. definitely felt like you could unhorse a rider...