Sword Disarms

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Louie, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Here are some disarms from Domenico Angelo's l'Ecole d'Armes, (1763)
    Many of them are still taught to this day in Filipino MA as stick disarms.....

Louie

Attached Files:

2. Louie

Grabbing the blade!

Attached Files:

3. Louie

Wrapping the arm around the blade....

Attached Files:

4. Louie

Grabbing the hand - obviously the 'behind the back' thrust wouldn't work with a stick!

Attached Files:

5. Louie

Grabbing the guard!

Attached Files:

6. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

you cannot but admire how efficient the small sword is as a duelling weapon.
    Its just a great pity that it could not be gayer if you painted it pink and bought it a subscription to Big Boys in Boots Monthly! It even manages to make the spanish rapier look hunky!
    Having said that theres probably all kinds of weird sh*t that could be said about me and my Longsword! :rolleyes:
    :Angel: Sometimes a sword is just a sword! :Angel:

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

yeah they could even be fighting with canes. :woo:

The Bear.

8. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Excellent stuff, Louie.

9. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Amazing how culture changes, isn't it?

There was a time when Smallsword and fisticuffs were intimately linked and nothing was considered more manly than learning and using a Smallsword.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Sir Thomas Parkyns' Inn Play is a perfect example of what I mean.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yes but they also wore make-up, wigs, stockings and had a nice collection of heels. Thankfully unless a drag fencing society starts up we're pretty much through that stage in history cause frankly I ain't got the legs for it.

The Bear.

12. Louie

You obviously haven't been to a Dawn Duellist event! :)

Louie

13. RAbid Hamster

Ah... but they have the facial hair for it! :D

14. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Ahh I'm doing 15th century reenactment, and when I wear my tight hose, and angel-winged houpellande, I probably make those smallsword-duded look like Rambo in compareson... Me and a friend discussed this, as we gathered one evening sewing; that the ultimate MAN is the one who dares to go down to the local pub on a friday evening wearing tight hoses, cod-piece and a headgear that more than anything resembles what modern babies wear on their heads! (I haven't dared doing this, yet, but I guess, I'd get the oppertunety to practice my Fiore wresteling pretty actively if I did :) )

15. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

When ISMAC was being held in Lansing, Michigan, it was common for participants, especially INSTRUCTORS to go down to a local bar (usually "The Nut Hut") drinking after dinner. Often they wore period garb which they'd worn to instruct classes. Kilts and hose were the order of the day. IIRC, no one ever bothered them. I suppose that it might be simply that Michiganders are more polite, or... it might have something to do with the Skean Dhu that some wore along with their kilts. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

...Going to pub as a group is one thing, going alone out of context is another thing. But I haven't tried yet, and mabye I'll have nothing to fear. I still think that you're a real MAN if you have the guts to go out alone on the local pub wearing the good old stuff :)

17. RAbid Hamster

going to a pub dressed like some 'medieval t!t n that' in glasgow is a fast way to accident and emergency. It may not be a good reason but there is a reason the sword ban came into effect in the uk and its our nasty little sub class of chavs/yobs/ned/pikeys. call them what you will but dont stand out otherwise you are asking for it.