Switchblades and the Law.

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Happy Feet Cotton Tail, May 9, 2014.

1. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I'm really uncertain about where this topic would go so if a mod wants to move it to a more relevant section of the site then that would be greatly appreciated.

Most countries in the west have bans or some sort of specific legislation pertaining to switchblades (knives where the blade is concealed and can be quickly drawn and locked into place by the push of a button or lever).

I'm curious as to why there is specific emphasis on that kind of blade. Maybe someone more versed in law enforcement could tell me, what is it about flick blades that is so abnormally dangerous that they are singled out in comparison to say a short hunting knife that could just as easily be hidden??

To my untrained eyes it seems the flick aspect is more of a gimmick than anything else so I don't really understand the focus on that particular kind of knife.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Honestly? Hysteria

Many tools are used in crimes or become associated with criminals. The switchblade was the quintessential "gangster" blade, famous for Teddy Boys, Street gangs etc the world over. It was made a prohibited weapon because clearly they would never even dream if using another weapon and no other knife can be handled or deployed as quickly..... :rolleyes:

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

There's no legitimate reason to have a mechanism like that, making the knife's primary use as an offensive weapon.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think that says it all. It's nothing to do with the weapon itself. It's just reactionary legislation. They saw that lots of crimes were being committed with that weapon. So they moved against that weapon. Same reason why walking around with nunchaku is illegal where walking around with a baseball bat (and no baseball) is perfectly legal. Despite the fact that, for most of us, the nunchaku would make us dangerous, first and foremost, to ourselves.

After the switchblade, it was the balisong (aka "butterfly knife").

5. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I share your experience brother :cry: :D

6. Hannibal

Ease of deployment does not an offensive weapon make - I can deploy several of my EDC blades every bit as fast as a switchblade and modern spring assist make it even more redundant as a reason

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

If no one's mentioned it yet, its the same as the UK ban on samurai swords. A couple crimes were committed with them that got some publicity so the ban got made. Same with switchblades.

8. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

In New Jersey bb guns and sling shots are banned also and they had to go to court to get paintball guns taken off the list.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

In terms of the UK, you may find this site useful.

10. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Flick knives make it easier to conceal a larger blade.

If you have a 6" blade, with a 6" handle, you have got a 12" knife to conceal, if it is a flick knife, then you can conceal the same blade with in half the size.

It's quite logical to me, but remember I am sure the flick knife laws only apply to blades over a certain length iirc.

11. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

No, but ease of concealment paired with ease of deployment does.

There's really very little reason to carry a switchblade other than for it to be used in some form of physical confrontation while keeping it hidden from sight.

12. Hannibal

It's purpose is clear, but that is not the mechanism that makes it so.

A switchblade is a stiletto blade designed for fighting. If it popped out a hunting blade the use changes. Like I said I can deploy any number of my folders as quick as a switch and a lot of those are "tactical profile" too

It's am arbitrary, knee jerk and meaningless distinction

13. Hannibal

Surely you can make the point for ANY folder?

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What they have a black handle?

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

BUT...I bet you've done a fair bit of training to be able to do so? Like drawing a pistol?
    Give two muppets a flick knife and a folder and I'd bet you all your tapout shirts the one with the flick-knife will delpoy his blade far quicker than the one with the folder.

16. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

But any folder that doesn't lock is dangerous to use as a weapon as you have a serious risk of it folding back on itself into the users own fingers.

A long blade, easily concealed that can lock in place should be banned.

Well actually, it shouldn't.

If somebody is going to stab somebody else, why would they care whether they are doing it with a legal or illegal knife.

17. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

In it's entirety, no. To deny that the mechanism has any part of the weapons intent, which is offensive in nature, would not be true however. The mechanism paired with the blade type make it an offensive weapon (blade type) designed with ease of deployment (mechanism) and ease of concealment (size when stowed) in mind.

Without the mechanism you may as well just be carrying an icepick.

18. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Stilettos are proscribed here anyway aren't they?

19. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Aren't most knives pretty damn easy to conceal and draw anyway? It's not like it's a shotgun or a baseball bat...

20. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think the difference is time. The idea that I could open the blade of a multitool quickly and under stress is a lot harder to believe than whether I can press the button on a flick knife.