Summer 2006: 5000 miles, a bicycle and a crazy idea

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by iolair, Aug 30, 2004.

1. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I had a crazy idea ages ago that it would be cool to cycle all the way around the coast of Britain, as close as you can manage it.

I've not planned an exact route, but it should be somewhere in the region of 5000 miles. That should be possible in 6 weeks of the school summer holiday (I'm a teacher) riding 6 days a week and about 140 miles a day. Which sounds feasible - I'm pretty good naturally at endurance stuff, and have no problem maintaining 15+mph for a long period.

I would do it to raise money for a charity, though I don't know which one yet, and given the amount of organising would probably aim for Summer 2006. Perhaps to cut down on the time commitment, it would be possible to chop the route up into stages and have multiple cyclists completing it in a relay.

Anyone else here that potentially insane?

2. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Some guys at University of Texas are cycling from Austin to Alaska. Sorry I, uh, can't be of any help, just thought I'd add that though. [​IMG]

3. MattN

MattN Valued Member

I always wondered how charities get money from that sort of thing. Do people just chuck money in a basket on your bike or something?

4. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

You ask everyone you know (and usually a load of people you don't know) to sponsor you - promise to give you money either for completing the whole distance, or per amount completed. I raised £1400 for Macmillan Cancer Relief in the 1999 London Marathon this way....

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

If I'm free for the times involved, I'm in.

6. MattN

MattN Valued Member

Cool.

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

140 miles a day? Start training by doing the C2C in a day, thats 140 miles :)

8. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

great idea, if i only had a bike and better fitness levels i would definitely help :D

9. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

as long as theres a lot of downhills and flattish sections i could dirtsurf it