suitable style?

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by MasterOfNothing, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

He's got a point though.

MON, there's no harm in getting her to attend some SD classes, but a definate long term investment is a good idea. Even this won't necassarily teach her what she needs.

Show her this forum, get her to read through everything and more.

Budo.

2. MasterOfNothing

MasterOfNothing New Member

haven't had much luck there, either with persuading her to go to a class or getting her to hit pads at home, she really dosen't like it. She might have been put off by a couple of competitions she's seen.

3. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

Shou Shu!

Oh..wait..nevermind...

4. shifu tiger

shifu tiger enter my circle of death

ya shou shu brother!

5. tkdhkddave

tkdhkddave Valued Member

From my experiences some sd courses can be very worthwhile, and some not, but I's always check the content and instructor profile. I was looking for more sd oriented classes in my area about a yr ago, I found a Hapkido instructor whose main teaching priority was for us to look after ourselves better, form and style came second for him, self preservation first-which was what I was looking exactly-but it did take some time to seek him out so although he has a "style" being hapkido, I wasn't bothered as it was how and what he taught that's important for me. That was my main point.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  6. Xerxes

Xerxes New Member

MasterOfNothing,

Did you notice the "psychology of squeamishness" thread that was inspired by this thread? Take a look at it.

A few people have made recommendations about a MA or SD regimen in this thread. But,there is no point in making any such suggestion until we figure out this girl's mental state. And, there is only one way to do that. You have to get her to sign up for the forum. And, then she can tell us HERSELF where she is coming from, mentally speaking. Until we know her frame of mind no decent recommendation can be made. Have her read through both of these threads.

7. MasterOfNothing

sorry, I've been on holiday for a few weeks... off to look now :)

8. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

I think maybe Qin Na. :)

9. creamcheese

creamcheese New Member

Hi, Master of (surely) something.
    What's nasty to one isn't nasty to another. It's best to have a look at a few Martial Arts before deciding which one to take up. For instance, I am an older woman so was happy to come upon a Kung Fu style with no high kick attacks, but I believe once your g/f really seeks, it will come to her. Best of luck and happy training.

10. MasterOfNothing

thanks for the advice - I've persuaded her to give jiujitsu a try, so we're going to go to a class and see what she thinks of it. Wish her luck! :D

11. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

What kind of jiujitsu?

12. MasterOfNothing

Thanks guys!!

Do you mean, japanese or brazillian? Then japanese; don't know any further than that though, despite having been already! I'll ask next time :)

For anyone interested, it was really fun and we both enjoyed it. She's not entirely sure if she wants to carry on with it yet, but with luck...

Thanks for all the advice you guys gave us, it really helped :D