Submission via Boston Crab!?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by callsignfuzzy, Jul 3, 2013.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xBuH39Dhkw"]Free MMA Cambodia- Von Savy Vs Bun Mang - YouTube[/ame]

In addition to the crazy finish, what caught my eye is how big the cage is.

We see so many crazy finishes in MMA these days- Showtime kick, jumping front kick, etc. I think you can attribute this particular one to guys with limited grappling backgrounds not being told what does and doesn't work. Thoughts?

2. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Not sure due to the viewing angle, but that may have been a leg lock. Also, I thought submissions to the spine were banned?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Nah. Not in pro-mma anyway. The twister is a spine lock for example.

4. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Well, spine locks aren't banned under the Unified Rules, but given that this was in Cambodia, there's really no telling what the rules were. Still, I can't think of any ruleset that banned spine locks.

I agree that the pressure was probably on the leg, but... both legs tied up, belly-down position sounds like a Boston Crab to me. Where the pressure is applied depends on the position of your hips relative to the opponent's head. The closer they are, the more pressure is on the lumbar vertebrae.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It was originally described as a "sharpshooter" in the press, but I was quick to put my wrestling snob hat on and correct them :)

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Crazy finish, its also guys with limited backgrounds not knowing how to not put yourself into a boston crab!

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I have admittedly used one of these once at work to control a freaked out suspect on PCP. I had been helping my busy prepare for a pro wrestling show at the time and it seemed like the thing to do. It controlled him fairly well but pain-wise he wasn't feeling anything so it's hard to say how effective it really is overall.

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Looked to me a lot more like he was doing a face down achilles hold or similiar. More that than a spine lock anyway

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

That looked more like backward leglock of some sort rather than a Boston Crab.
    As the Subee would be faced down completely and the Subber would be more on a butt - butt (no giggling) position.

Theres a very old JJ vid on youtube of that happening, and the person's back broke.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFjn79tesmU"]Double Leg Boston Crab Cody Rhodes - YouTube[/ame]

Heres a single leg variation
    http://youtu.be/p4x7Qe5DPU8?t=2m33s

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Why are you posting a boston crab video and its not Y2J doing it?!

11. Mushroom

I don't like Y2J's "safer" version where its literally a Boston Crab, I prefer the old way where he's standing with a knee in the spine and the guy is upside and all twisted up. Now THATS a Wall of Jericho.....

Also, when I youtube'd Boston Crab, I got a lot of Japanese Women Wrestling vids which were very not suitable for MAP...had a lot of explaining to do to the Mrs...

Its all MAP's fault!

:cry::cry:

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Does the crab actually work as a spine lock? I do half crabs fairly often and it's either achilles or hip.

13. Hannibal

It mainly hits the lower back i have found - but I too tend to favour the "Lou thesz" single crab

[​IMG]

14. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

was VERY disappointed when I watched it after seeing that description, don't really understand the big deal to be honest if the bottom guy was a better grappler he would never have been in that position.

15. Vegeta

Vegeta Hmm I love my girlfriend

Speaking of boston crab technique, is this the forum (it said submission wrestling) to talk about catch wrestling? Or do I go to the BJJ forum instead?

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Here is good, Bjj forum is also good, as most (not all) peoples experience of catch is through a BJJ nogi lens.

17. Hannibal

No here is fine - a few of us have CACC exposure/experience

18. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

LMAO!!! I remember when we used to think wrestling was real at age 11 or so, wrestling in the yard and I finished many of my friends via boston crab.

This is totally new to me LMAO mma-slvania

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
  19. Mushroom

I dont understand. What do you mean.. "was" ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
  20. Hannibal

Wait...does this mean Papa Shango wasn't a voodoo priest?