Style validity

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Music Man, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

So I was watching a couple YouTube videos about different styles of martial arts. It seems there are a group of people who believe that only certain styles are truly effective for combat. Those Styles being Muay Thai, boxing, judo, wrestling, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. They seem to think that every other style for the most part is just total bunk. They write off karate, Taekwondo, kung fu, Aikido, and just about every other style as being not effective compared to the other ones that I listed.

So, what do you all think about this line of thought and reasoning? Does it hold any weight at all or is it just a total bias on the parts of practitioners of those styles?

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I think that people who go on about the validity of this style over that style need to spend more time practicing and less time talking/ typing.

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I think the majority of martial arts aren't what people think they are.

Training method is more important than style.

Certain styles are typified by poor training methods.

Poor training methods lead to bad impractical techniques.

Poor training methods and a lack of practical testing result in students and instructer who are out of touch with how their material functions and don't have the physical or academic understanding of how to make what they do work.

Combat sport arts and arts that include resistance training daily in their practice irrespective of focus (sport, self defence etc) will be more functional and produce capable students as standard rather than as an exception.

In short: those people you mentioned are mostly right. Although often that attitude is appropriated by people without the experience to understand why or to apprieciate the nuances and exceptions.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I disagree with Aaradia, there's definitely some validity to it.

Some styles have become associated with more and some with less effective training methodologies. Many of those that you have listed have competitive formats associated with them, and, in the past couple of decades we've seen the rise of competitive formats that allow for competition with a mix of different martial arts styles.

In that competitive format, styles that were competitive tended to do very well, and those styles that had looser rule sets tended to do better than those that had more restrictive rulesets. I think there's an argument to be made for the validity of specialized and isolating competitive rulesets (e.g. boxing has a more restrictive ruleset than muay thai, but training just your upper body and just your hands offers a lot to fighters in MMA or MT), but it seems that the most effective training methodology is settled; aliveness, training with resistance against someone who is trying to train against you, better prepares someone than training without it.

Those styles that train with aliveness are thus superior at preparing someone for the glorious struggle of hand to hand combat than those that don't. The styles that you've listed as being effective nearly uniformly train in this manner, while there is a much greater admixture of effective and ineffective schools in those that others are writing off.

5. philosoraptor

Something about your cadence, I made you this:

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Maker

6. Knee Rider

Honoured and amused I am.

You captured my male pattern baldness perfectly too :p

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I never said there was no validity to it. That isn't my point.

My point being that people make choices in training, IMO let them be. If they don't ask for advice, don't give it.

Some people spend far too much time worrying about what choices others make. It isn't your life. Go train and let others have fun living their lives training how they want.

Sure I see some stuff I think is awful. But unless someone is full of hubris making ridiculous claims, trying to make money by being a fraudulent teacher, or they are ASKING for advice, I keep my opinion to myself.

If someone wants to study a certain style, I say let them. It's their life.

If (to cite another thread as an example) a parent wants to enroll their kid in a WC school, fine. They didn't ask "what style should my kid study?" They asked for advice for a WC school. Respect their choice and help them. Don't tell them "do judo or karate" because that isn't what they asked.

Or some student posts their practicing on youtube and other MAists rip them and their style to shreds. Like they get some weird enjoyment putting others styles down to prop themselves up. I think this all too prevalent attitude is a shame.

Some people in life spend too much time worrying about how their opinions should dictate what others believe or do. In all sorts of things in life - martial arts, religion, politics, good vs bad musicians. You name it. Why? Why can't people just let other people make their own choices and respect that and go do their own thing?

Go live your own life (hence my statement about needing to spend more time training) and less time worrying about what others do.

If you (general you- not anyone on MAP) decide one style is better for you- cool. But I personally would much rather hear you talk about the positive things your current art do for you than hear you gripe and moan and complain about your previous style and how it stinks. How everyone should think like you do and come to the same conclusions you did. (Another thing I have seen all over the Internet- blogs, forums, youtube.)

I hope this clarifies what I meant. My opinion only.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  8. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

So as long as the style is trained with resistance and aliveness that's all that matters? That means any of the styles that most people write off can still be great depending on the training?

As a side note, I know that not all styles start out with this type of resistance and aliveness but eventually progress to it. If a person we're just watching training videos on YouTube and not seeing the aliveness and resistance training, even though it is in the art, they could really get a misinterpretation of what actually happens in the long run.

9. philosoraptor

Not necessarily. Styles evolve and, without the practical testing, all sorts of weird things can get incorporated. Limited rulesets can give rise to false ideas of competency - witness the boxers who claim they would knock a grappler out before they were taken down. Some styles and many schools really never progress to practicing their techniques with resistance. Still others have some form of resistance but it's impractical and frankly weird.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbHlg1MqrxU"]Did you get your black belt from K Mart - YouTube[/ame]

There's obviously some sort of pressure testing going on here, but I wouldn't bet money on them even over a very inexperienced boxer.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

As soon as you start live training and move away from restricted formats though the styles rapidly become functional though. It's not what you do it's the way that you do it.

11. philosoraptor

See, I genuinely wonder about that - without some sufficient number of competitors will an art evolve or will it just stagnate? My guess is the latter.

12. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Have you begun training yet?

13. Ben Gash CLF

Why? And why is competition necessary? I agree that competition has many positives but it also brings many pitfalls (exhibit A butt scooting!!!) so it depends on what you want from the system. Valid does not necessarily mean will win MMA titles, valid means does what it claims to do.

14. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

I start the first week of February!

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Being good at a particular style of mma (namely great wrestling and hands) transfers pretty well almost everywhere that involes fighting, bit it doesnt work the other way around. It won't teach you how to use a weapon but timing and distance are just as important defending against one.

16. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Good man! What did you decide on in the end?

17. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

In your opinion which styles are typified by poor training methods?

18. Knee Rider

The majority of them.

19. Ben Gash CLF

While true to an extent, what does that have to do with what I wrote?

20. philosoraptor

I think competition drives innovation, good innovation come from exceptionally talented people who are a small percentage of the number that walk into a martial arts joint. Without both a large pool of talent and the fiery crucible of competition I'm not sure how you generate new techniques that are practical and not simply theoretical.

There's not many arts out there that boast of their minimal efficiency or stagnant technique base.