Stun Guns

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Cosmo Kramer, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

Does anyone here have any experience with using stun guns in a self defense situation? Any comments on how useful they are or if they are worth the money? I can't decide if I should get one or not

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I've had experience of them but not in a self defence situation. Good piece of kit

3. CannibalCrowley

CannibalCrowley Valued Member

Tasers are a good tool; but handheld stun guns are useless for self defense. They're good for torture and pain compliance and that's about it.

4. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

I don't get it... You hold tasers with your hand, I'd think. ;) Is there a specific design of stun gun called "handheld"?

5. CannibalCrowley

Cosmo Kramer do you have your concealed carry permit? Otherwise I believe you'll have to open carry.

If it shoots a projectile it's good, if not then it's useless for SD.

6. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

I thought this was about someone nicknaming theyre bicep...

7. Moi

Since when is a one touch drop to the floor useless for self defence?

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Just curious: If you stun someone with a hand held and they grab you or you have another skin on skin contact somewhere, does the shock get transferred to you as well?

9. Moi

No they just sink like their strings have been cut and you don't feel a thing. The more powerful ones are better. Nothing like 500 000v to stop someone in their tracks. All that from 2 x PP9 batteries:cool:

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Thanks man. My dad had a hand held when I was young. Found it once and was gonna tazer myself for the experience... but the crackling sounds kinda put me off... :)

11. Moi

Doesn't do them any good dry-firing them but sure as hell grabs peoples attention.
    For self defence I could see them as cumbersome to deploy.
    They were deemed over here in the UK as more of an offensive weapon rather than defensive and were consequently banned. Too many muggings at cash machines.

12. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

For sure... makes a hell of sound..

Maybe they have some potential applications as a "sleeping aid" :)

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Can't help with the OP but how is a hand held one not good for self defence? I appreciate a taser's better since they're range weapons but generally don't most muggers and people staring a fight get close to you first? Think its pretty rare a mugger shouts at you across the street "stay there I want your money".
    Plus Cannibal you said they're only good for pain compliance. I count that as pretty effective self defence. Nothing like threatening to fry someone's balls to get them to stop

14. Moi

Stun gun isn't pain compliance. You collapse.

The pain side of it is just for fun. Better a couple of centimetres away from the body. Burns a big hole in your clothes as the electricity jump to you. That hurts.:evil:

15. Southpaw535

Nice. So a handheld one wouldnt be a terrible idea for defence?
    One more thing, don't handheld one's generally have stronger currents? I've seen a couple of times where people have used tasers and they don't work along with one funny one where the guy who got shot grabbed the cable thingy and pulled the cop into a punch

16. Moi

50 000 for a taser, a million volts for a good stun gun. They are applied internally and externally though. Don't know how much that makes a difference.

17. Southpaw535

18. CannibalCrowley

Since when? Sure there was tons of hype about them years back when they first came out and some companies paid stooges to pretend to collapse. After research and experimentation we've learned the truth, stun guns only drop people to the ground in the movies. Also if they cause one to simply collapse, then why aren't they standard issue like Tasers? Stun guns have been around a lot longer, so they've had plenty of time to build up market shar.

As for personal experience, when I was younger we played around with them quite a bit in the barracks. I've been hit by plenty of stun guns and I've never had one cause me to collapse. I've only had one person collapse when I hit him with a stun gun; but he also went into the fetal position after getting shot with an air soft gun.

Here is what the University of Oklhoma, the FBI, and the Oklahoma CLEET program have to say about stun guns:

Finally let's finish with some comedy. Youtube videos which clearly show people getting hit with stun guns and not collapsing:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZgRNJ6KWE4"]STUN GUN Collection Test up to 950,000 Volts[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9FsZBXjAeE&feature=related"]Stun Gun[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhVZkH_uzVU&feature=related"]Drunk Stun Gun[/ame]

Unless they're punching you in the face or stabbing you in the chest. If one is going to carry a weapon for self defense, why not carry something that has proven effectiveness? Especially in locations (such as the OP's) where he will have to get a concealed carry license whether he wants to conceal a stun gun or a pistol.

19. Southpaw535

I though they were effective and you've proved me wrong but my point there was that pain compliance is a reasonable form of defence if you can do it

20. Moi

Don't buy it. I've used a 500 000 volt stun gun on someone not expecting it and they dropped. It was a sustained shock to the body. Maybe 3-4 seconds 'till he fell and he probably had another 3 seconds after just to make sure. When he fell he just collapsed.
    They have to be used correctly and like many things you get what you pay for.

Those video's are just guys giving themselves a quick zap to extremities for less than a second with the more powerful ones, it's not the same.
    Many of the military stun guns are reduced voltage used instead of a knife.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009