Studying Taekwondo in Korea!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by MDN, Feb 26, 2005.

1. 29622

29622 New Member

Well I went to Korea with a group of students from our school. We visited various TKD Universities and teams such as the Tiger Military Team (something like that) and the Samsung S-1 team. What impacted me most was how different it was from the U.S. I had been to China and Taiwan numerous times as I have family living there, but everytime I visit an east Asian country it just feels so different. It IS a lot of fun though! I think you will have a blast.

Would I go again if I could? Sure! If you have never been over to that side of the world there will be plenty to keep you busy.

I am sure you'll have fun. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I spent a lot of time there, about 50 weeks, then a trip back to the states, then another 50 weeks and so on for 4 years. The biggest impact I had was being away from friends and famiy and sometimes getting tired of not being able to get some western things once in a while (like TV shows, food, book, western style bars, etc.). However, the salary and the cost of living made it easy for me to live large in Korea (food, travel, fun) and to take winter vacations in Asia (like Malaysia, Vietnam, and around Korea)... so not a bad trade-off.

No, I was really naive about going to the the "Land of the Morning Calm", expecting calm, serene people living in a 1950s Korea (as described to me by US vets). I was surprised at the sheer amount of noise, bustle, and self-centeredness demonstrated.
    At the same time, looking past the new glitzy buildings, fashions, and technology, there is a nice bunch of "tradition" there waiting to be explored by those interested, from the sites to the food to the people (and language). So as much as it wasn't what I expected, it became much more than I ever thought it would be.

(1) Teaching experience, (2) adventure and (3) to get in touch with the roots of the art(s) I study. A one year commitment turned into 4... and almost longer. No regrets.
    Yes, it'd be nice to see how much has changed (change is quick there) and how much is still the same. There are lots of little goodies I'd like to snack on and lots of people I'd like to see.

3. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Really, How cheap? Because I ' ve been looking with several instructors and schools here in Mexico and at least it is like $3 000 USD.

I don't know is that cheap?

4. Tai Chi

Tai Chi New Member

Out of curiosity since we are talking about taking a Tae Kwon do class in Korea. Do you call a Tae Kwon Do place without any Korean masters at all a bad place to learn?

5. 29622

29622 New Member

Not necessarily. What really counts in an instructor is not his nationality but the quality of his advice and instruction. There are plenty of sub-par Korean masters while there are plenty of excellent non-Korean masters.

However, I would think there would be more good Korean masters simply because Korea is TKD's country of origin.

6. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

I only travelled to Korea for just under a month and stayed in Seoul pretty much the whole time apart from a couple of days in Pusan. Like yourself, before going I felt tied to Korea despite having never been or really knowing much about it. Without a doubt the biggest impact on my time there were the Korean people themselves.

As a tourist in Seoul I got a little lost a couple of times, but every time it happened if I looked at a map for more than ten seconds at least one person would come up to me and ask where I was trying to go. For me, having grown up in and around London, this was unusal. What was then even stranger is not only did they tell me where it was, but actually took a few minutes of their day and walked me there. The TKD training, the palaces, the shopping malls etc, where all fantastic, but it's the people in them that makes the country what it is for me.

I went not really knowing what to expect to be honest. I think like Thomas I also had a 1950's sort of vision in my head. I was also expecting fairly calm nights, but Seoul just never seemed to sleep.

I think for the same reasons that you're motivated to go by the sounds of things ;)

In an instant! There's so much more there I want to see, and places I want to go. And I really miss the food, finding Kimchi in Wales is hard!

7. Thomas

The "tour" packages that go to Korea with a bunch of other students/instructors and travel all around with a bit of tourism and training can be a pretty nice experience. $3000. for that, if it includes travel, meals and such isn't a bad deal.

If you know how to get around in Korea though, transportation (trains and buses) is cheap, as are places to stay. For that matter, if you wanted to check out Hapkido, look at www.sangmookwan.com ( http://www.sangmookwan.com/page/4 ), they offer accomodations, food, and training for real cheap. The big part is the flight to Korea, which in summer can be quite pricey.

It really all depends on the individual instructors. My instructor isn't Korean and, in my opinion, he's the best one I've ever trained with. I think it's easy in Korea to find alot of places to train, but finding a good instructor who is great with adult students and who provides a great post-1st dan program can be tricky in Korea (and eleswhere for that matter). I think there are enough well trained non-Koreans out there who will teach you the art in a tremendous way.

8. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

I don't know if they include flight ticket, accomodation, training, meals etc.

Thanks for the info THOmas.

9. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Most of the places are McDojos with a capital M.

It's all about the kids. I teach about 5 kids aged 9 who are black belts. TKD is a kids thing here. By the time they reach 12/13 they have to go to private schools to study academic subjects. This happens until they are 19, finish school, and then they go to college. And then the army for national service. After the army, they are expected to get married and have kids. Not much time for TKD after the age of 12.

Also, I have to mention the racism as well. You dont have your location posted so I dont know where you live. Many people here HATE America (I mean that...HATE) and envy them (I can explain this in more detail, but dont want to derail this thread). I would advise you to say you are from England.

Depending where you are from, you can come to Korea as a tourist for 6 months as a Canadian, 3 months for a Brit and 1 month for a US citizen. It's a tourist visa, so you cant work.

게스타포주의하세요. = "Gestapo (Nazi police) be careful." Yang Dea,han why do you have that in your signature?

To the op, if you want to know more about Korea, please ask.

10. Ghetto

Ghetto New Member

How bad is the rasism for someone who is from england as i have a friend who is planning to go out there next month

11. semphoon

It's not something you can quantify. First of all, all Koreans will think you are American anyway. Some may ask where you are from (like when you join the dojo). If you are British, they will think you are a "gentleman." I'm serious. I play it up. Of course you get stared at. And it's not like getting attacked (although some older men (ad-josh-es) will hawk and spit when they see you.) It's more the ill-feeling they have towards you. They will think white = rich.

Koreans have suffered a lot in their history and especially in the last one hundred years. The Japanese occupation where they almost lost their entire culture; everyone had to change thier names, the Japanese language replaced Korean, historic temples and building were burned down. The Korean priness ( Empress Myeongseong 명성황후)was raped at knife point and then burned alive.

And after that, the allied forces (with the help of Russia) get Japan out. Now, Korea is torn between being communist (where the Russians are) and capatalist (where the Americans are) - hence the Korean war from 1950- 1953.

After the war, the country is divided in half at the 38 parrallel (remember the 38 moves Yul Gok, same place but unrealted). North Korea (communist) South Korea (free market). It has been estimated that 1 in 7 Koreans have a family member in the North. It has been 60 years apart.

And that's the state of the country. They have suffered and feel bitter (the Koreans call it "han" - a feeling that they are helpless and suffering but they have to endure. It's a collective feeling of oppression and isolation in the face of overwhelming odds. It connotes aspects of lament and unavenged injustice.) As an American, (which is what Koreans will think of white people) YOU are part of the reason their country is divided. Rather than thinking "Gee...we were lucky those Americans were here. If they werent they we would all be Kim Jong Il's slaves and starving." Nope. They dislike you.

I could go on about it. But I've typed about it too much.

The racism - its silent but you can feel it (and sometimes hear it when old men "hawk" at you). Don't let that stop you from coming here.

Taekwondo classes are about 80,000 원 (won) a month. Its about about 80 US dollars a month for 5 days a week, one hour each day.

*steps off soap box.

12. Ghetto

Ghetto New Member

He's a black british at 3rd dan

13. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

I didn't get any of that when I was over, and even had old men coming up to me trying to talk to me about David Beckham. I also go the impression that the lack of friendlyness towards americans was more to do with the soldiers posted over there having a rep for causing trouble.

14. semphoon

The American army has soldiers stationed here. They not only dislike the American army for the reasons I have mentioned, but also the American GIs can cause trouble sometimes. There was an incident a few years ago when a US tank killed 2 girls. I have been told 2 stories - 1) it was an accident, the American army apologised and the soldiers had to be given counseling. 2) The American tank then reversed over the girls, the soldiers were drunk, and the US didnt apologise. I don't know which is true. Also, Koreans blame Americans for bringing prostitutes to Korea. Which is strange because there is no army base where I live but there are "barber shops" where you can get more than a trim. I pass 15 of these shops on the way to my school. That would suggest that maybe Korean guys like a bit on the side. Or is that too crazy to think of in a society with a history of Confucianist culture? Probably. Let's just blame the US army.

If your friend is black then people will probably think he is an American GI. (There are some Africans here but they have a different dress sense from Westerners). And there are different kinds of "black."

As I have said, your friend won't be attacked or anything. NEVER. It will be good to experience a different culture and if he gets an instructor that can speak English, Im sure his TKD will get better.

*writing this post I tried not to rant. :love: But then I had to add in the part about prostitutes to tell you what people think about the US army.

15. tkdmike

tkdmike Valued Member

Studying Taekwon-Do in Korea

Does anyone know anything about studying Taekwon-Do in korea this would preferably be in South Korea and ITF style.

Thnak you

16. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

hate to break it to you but south korea is mainly WTF schools

17. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

bumped for "tkdMike"

Yer welcome

18. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

19. Tansy

Tansy I train ninja guinea pigs

Seriously? they are rascist? I have never come across it although I never lived in Korea I lived in a Korean community.
    I know that Japan can be cold towards western people, but I didn't think you would get a bad audience from Korea. I am aware they think all white people are american, but due to the fact I am English I may get a better time should I vist.
    I do hope they are not horrid as I would really love to go over there.

Tans

20. Thomas

I never saw any ITF schools in South Korea (although it seems like an older thread mentioned one).

A place to start to look though would be ITF (South) Korea:
    http://www.itf-korea.com/company/index.asp
    There is a street address in Seoul listed at the bottom of the page:
    Seoul, Yongsan-Goo, Han Nam 2 dong 736-5, In Gwang Building 3rd floor, Choi Hong Hee iTF Taekwondo
    Phone #02-790-2777

Perhaps this would be a place to train or at least a place to get info to other ITF schools from.

As an alternative, you could try one of innummerable WTF schools, or a good Hapkido school (check out www.sangmookwan.com for example).

All the best!