Striking with the wrist?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by RAGINGbuddha, Feb 25, 2006.

1. RAGINGbuddha

RAGINGbuddha Valued Member

Does anyone think it's ok to strike with the wrist, like in a sweeping hand strike? My sifu says no, it's easy to damage.

2. Light_bringer77

Light_bringer77 Valued Member

What style you do?

IMO there are lots of good wrist strikes, though you should train your wrists before using some of them.

BTW Crane, Dragon and Snake kung fu uses alot of them.

3. RAGINGbuddha

Wing chun

4. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Northern Mantis. We emphasize it has a technique only on soft vulnerable areas.

Seen it used, haven't learned it yet. :)

5. namaste

namaste New Member

Like a fook sau?

6. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Are you talking about hitting HARD with the wrist? Because that's just silly.

Or are you discussion other parrying, intercepting, twisting attacks, specifically for grabs/bridges/deflections?

7. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Indeed, it is not possible to condition the wrist. It's a pretty fine articulation; not a single bone or a muscle.

The forearms; sure they can be conditionned and are a great striking surface.

The wrist can be used in interceptions, parries, grabs, traps, etc...

But hitting with it as a striking surface? No; try not to.

We do a lot of forearm conditionning and one of the things we learn quite quickly (the hard way) how hitting with the wrist instead of the forearms is a real bad idea.

But if you mean hitting from the wrist; using the wrist for added strength, then yes! Absolutely do! It takes some training in order to get the timing right, but it can increase greatly your striking power if you can get some wrist movement in there.

8. RAGINGbuddha

more like a biu jee, but with the inside

9. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

If used to correctly yes I love this strike close quarter very powerful can be used as a block or strike. Good conditioning is clapping press ups on ya wrist (ouch) Style I learned this was lau gar

10. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i've never done clapping press ups on the wrist but we reguarly do wrist push ups with fingers pointing in, out, up and down.

i've also done board breaks with my wrists.

:)

11. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

The last technique in the first form in Wing Chun has a downward striking motion with the wrist as you pull the other arm upwards. It's a very effective and painful way of breaking a grip on your wrist. Although some may not count the bottom of the knife edge of the hand as being part of the wrist.

12. ryanTKD

ryanTKD New Member

My friend said that in traditional TKD there is an attack called 'turtle head' - which is a wrist strike with the hand almost in a fist.

13. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

LOL

thats what you get when you need the toilet isn't it? :D

14. Light_bringer77

Light_bringer77 Valued Member

Hung gar has a good bunch of hard hits with the wrist.
    The basic drunken fist is a strike with the wrist!
    Crane use it alot also in fact...
    Leopard, snake and dragon often strike with the inner side of the wrist and the lower part of the thumb. But such strike needs ALOT of conditionning and tends to be aimed at softer parts of the body(not always though).

Infrazael.. Choy lee fut has no hard wrist strike???

15. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

We use the FORE ARM, not the wrist.

Wrist = soft and

Forearm = hard and even harder after conditioning.

16. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

if you can put your wrist through breaking boards and you say wrist are soft
    i hate to think what your forarms are like :D

17. someotherguy

someotherguy Valued Member

by wrist do you mean side of the palm? I havn't come across anything in WC that involves using your own joints in a strike.

- When you hit with the "elbow" you don't hit using the joint, you hit using the end of the forarm bone which is thickest and strongest (honeycomb bone structure). The point you use to strike with is aligned with the bone of the upper arm (because the joint itself is bent to create this alignment), thus transferring the force through the shock absorbing cartillage layers and into your structure. You'd want to use this very strong area to hit something softer

- The same holds true of the punch with the knuckles, you don't hit on the joint, you hit with the end of the bone (which is thick) when the knuckle joint itself is bent to transmit the force of impact through the cartillage and down the aligned bones into your structure.

The joints themselves are inherently weak. I would think it is not sensible to strike using the joint itself as the point of impact. It is also not a great idea to strike using the middle of the bones - such as using the forearm to strike/block - because the bone is weakest in structure here (it has the smallest diameter and the weakest biomechanical structuring of bone tissue). Hence why some WC strikes involve using an "elbow" to the wrist to forearm, the strongest against the weakest.

Anyway, the human body is only built one way, it doesn't make sense to use your face to block a punch and it doesn't make sense to finger-jab someone in the forehead. No fighting system is going to get around that reality

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  18. sbaorion

sbaorion Valued Member

Hi,

In Hapkido we have a strike called chicken-neck. Your hand goes into the classic sock puppet shape and you bend the hand down as far as it will go. One nice back hand later using the wrist to strike and thats you done the chicken neck.

Can also be used as a block. Do the same, upwards into an on coming punch for example and then straight into a palm heel strike.

I thought it was a bit daft to start with, but like it now and find it effective.

19. RAGINGbuddha

[​IMG]

this is what it looks like, forgive my crappy picture. Basically the red line signifies the striking area, with thumb tucked in.

20. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

No, actually, in Lung Ying, the only CMA that has the name "dragon style" and is not part of another system, we do NOT have wrist strikes. Why would you even want to strike with such a fragile and vulnerable joint when there are so many better tools for the job? Just to say you do apparently because the styles that don't use 'em don't seem to suffer for the loss.