Striking vs Grappling

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Andy Murray, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

Sound's reasonable.

Rob

2. waya

waya Valued Member

Seems to be the best conclusion on the matter.

Rob

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yeah, I agree too.

4. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

Although some would say ground techinques are great well the are (one on one) and i would like to think that i could put my attacker in arm lock 4 (which i can) but it goes down to striking (for me and i do ju jitsu) for with out a strike (12345 strikes maybe) i could not lock any one up! i'm not saying locking isnt good for it is, its just that sometimes you need to hit them to get them loose for that important second and then apply a lock.
    But saying all of this i would not go and tell a yellow belt to use a lock for they may not have the skill and even some black belts dont have the skill.
    So thats my very long reply.

5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Moving on......

Thanks for that Joseki, I get where you are coming from.

I wanted to ask a question which relates to both the striking and grappling arts.

We have all seen boxing matches, where by the final round both boxers are shattered, and their technique has all but gone!

The same can be true in any sport. It's not so much the energy you use, but the energy you conserve that makes the difference. BJJ players are a great example of this.

The question is; As you become more experienced , and conserve energy better, can this make up the difference in a contest with someone younger, fitter etc, or will the fitter person always win?

Andy

Last edited: Apr 24, 2002
  6. Freeform

Age and experience will win 90% of the time, I know this because I'm young and superfit (honestly... ok, I'll put the pint down) and still get tied in knots by Judoka who're south of 50 and only train twice a week.

Thanx

7. waya

waya Valued Member

Brains over beauty I think.... Most of the people I worry about ever having a confrontation with are 20+ years older than I am. The mind is still the most dangerous weapon, no matter what is said about how hard you train, if you can't think or have no experience you have already lost to the experienced fighter.

Rob

8. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

I agree with waya
    but in sparring you may (and will) meet the nataural the one person that learns 100 miles an hour than the 35 mile an hour student and in these cases the nataural fighter will beat the experience one (mostly by serprise)

9. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

a load of old bilge

Andy,
    I agree that a situation of multiple opponents is not good for a grappler. Police are involved ina specific duty, apprehending the suspect with the least amount of force. That requires back up and help. As an example the Kenpo art is not concern with holding the perp for prosecition , it is concerned with eradicating the offender from his life. Extreme but his philosophy is the root between the Jujitsu and kenpo relationship in modern times.

10. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I think it comes down to situation.

When I'm out clubbing I'm a pretty imposing figure and for some reason eye contact tnds to make most people stay away.

But if someone were to attack me I would try to stay at a distance, wait to check what state they are in - whether they are drunk or what, whether they have friends nearby, then make a decision from there.

If they try to hit me, block or evade the hit and put them on the ground with a version of any of the basic throws I have learned. Hopefully by this time the bouncers would have come over and stopped the fight.

If it was somewhere where I knew there was no help coming then I would either try to imobilse them either breaking something (knee, elbow, wrist), leaving them unable to breathe with a strike to throat or solar plexus and then leaving them there.
    If there were multiple people then it would definately be strikes to groin, knees, and head, hopefully leaving that person on the floor with a follow up trip or throw.

I think the best way to decide would be to do whatever you first thought of doing and learn to cover big distances with your body to suprise them, being able to attack from two metres away is a great help.

My first instinct now is to wait for the other person to try to hit me but knowing you could stun them with a strike and then have them on the ground while they are reeling is a good thing to know. When some one is one the ground they are open to all manner of kicks to head, body and groin although I would probably only do that if they pulled a weapon.

On the subject of freezing up the best way to avoid this is to be aware of what is around you, learn to pay attention to your peripheries, if someone is walking by you move out of the way, this is excellent practice in nightclubs and pubs where there are many people moving around and it will save you some spilt drinks and prevent the fights when you accidentally bump someone and spill their drink

11. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

There is absolutely no shame in walking away or running for that matter.

The circumstances of the situation and my mindset at the time of the encounter will determine how I will react.

I would attempt to talk my way out of the situation while casually getting into a good balanced stance and bring my open hands up in front of me in a non threatening manner.
    If you suddenly drop into a fighting stance, you just committed yourself to the battle.

I'd much rather do my fighting on my feet but I'm quite capable of defending myself on the ground.
    It's important to practice breakfalls and recovery before you need them.

I'm short so I would not attempt a head shot.

If you use sieze control and take down techniques you have to ask yourself, what are you going to do with them after you have them under control?

When teaching the average person self defense techniques use the K.I.S.S. Method. Keep It Simple Stupid!

12. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

OK, let me rephrase my previous post to say that I wouldn't attempt a kick to the head because my short legs only covers so much distance and I don't want to chance over extending a touchy hamstring.

13. Freeform

Ladyhawk, you can change your own posts by using the edit button at the bottom of them.

Also, you should try to practice striking from the 'no-stance', a 'quick draw'. Reduces the reaction time of your opponent.

Thanx

14. uglyelk

uglyelk New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OR to put a martial spin on things we could say
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Savagely Simple! :D

Laird

15. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

LOL! Excellent definition!

16. Andy Murray

?

Hauling this old thread from the distant past, I had a thought or two recently on this subject.

I spent a little time playing with some good grapplers, who were all over me with knowledge, yet whenever I implied that they had left an opening for a serious strike, they got a bit huffy. I was told off for taking the opportunity to stand up, and freeing weapons as well. They showed a lack of understanding of their own vulnerability.

On the reverse side of the coin, boxers, kickboxers, etc get real annoyed when you tie them up by closing distance and manipulating them (grappling). Without an understanding of the grappling range, you can soon find yourself sleeping like a baby.

There seem to be some holes in either camps arguement, as some grappling techniques are open to finishing strikes, and some grappling techniques are immune to strikers.

Why then do we not generally acknowledge both systems of practice?

Which (for the six month student) has more applicaton for street defense, Grappling or Striking?

:confused:

Andy

17. Spike

Spike New Member

if we`re talking about for a short term student I think it`ll depend almost entirely on the student. Different build and such-like will play a vital part

18. Andy Murray

Oh go on on Spike.....be daring....... extend a limb :)

19. STASH

STASH New Member

For a six month student? Definetly striking...its just easier to apply. You can still punch someone when he's grabbing on to you and you can still punch them when your both rolling around on the ground. I dont know, this is coming from someone who is more comfortable striking then grappling, just my opinion.

20. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

grappling is good n it's easy to grapple than to apply wrists locks n all... but it would be stupidity to grapple a knife yieldin oppnt...

yes n no for this answer...
    if there's no other option then my body built allows me to grapple and my knowledge of standing n ground grappling(Indian wrestling) will help too, u hav techniques which works damn good even in multiple oppnt... but yup u hav to remember some rules about multiple fightin...
    No i would go for powerfull strikes which can control..
    didn't understood the question...wat's bilge??
    kick in the head...if the oppnt is on ground why not... but standing oppnt No i would prefer demoblizing him first by attackin on knee...
    training for stikeing in eyes..?
    i never pulled out anyone eyes yet... so i m not sure...but when it's matter of life...i CAN kill...

for a six month student i would only prefer RUNNING option...i'll better prepare him for 6 months may be make him fastest runner in the world...
    it's so tough even for those who r already studying MA from yrs...
    even seriously if u wannt to hav a look how a guy should fight in multiple opnt...then u should check out this video...

http://www.evolutionary-systems.com...e_attackers.WMV

if u fighting doesn't happen like this(some basics) then most probably u r screwed
    lastly i'll say it's a mind over matter ...
    u want to survive?? u will...
    -TkdWarrior-