Striking / Grappling gloves

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Yukimushu, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'm considering buying a decent pair of gloves, and im just interested in which gloves you folks use or would recommend...

They need to be pretty well padded though because ill be using them for training aswell; so i dont want to go hurting the other guy if i catch him with a hit.

I've heard quite a few recommendations of the Fairtex open palm NHB gloves because they feature more padding than the Ouano gloves.

From the images i can see, the fairtex one's seem really nice, aswell as very sexy to look at :)

Especially Here :)

Maybe you could recommend any other gloves?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

For Kickboxing you'll probably need a standard pair of boxing gloves because the MMA gloves dont tend to have much in the way of padding on the knuckles

3. Old Tiger

Old Tiger New Member

4. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

If anyone is after MMA gloves

Rogue gloves are very good and hard wearing.

Well worth a look.

5. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Had a pair of Harbingers for over a year now, bit expensive but worth it. Only prob is the wrist wrap's a pain in the buttocks :(

Saw some of the new shooto style Fairtex gloves at the open mat on Sunday LOT's more padding than usual :) might make rolling a bit harder but they'll deff be gentler on your training partner ;)

6. KiWarrior

KiWarrior Banned Banned

The open palm fairtex are a tad light on the padding. By tad I mean in training don't plan on hitting at more than 40%. And yes I know gloves are more about protecting your fist. They are pretty great while grappling though and supposedly quite a bit better than the harbs. due to being less material to grab and the open palm.

I've heard good things about these shooto golves from a training perspective:
    http://www.yamatodamashiiichizoku.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=37

When is fairtex coming out with the shooto version?
    The style before the current ones supposedly had a bit more padding.

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'm considering buying a pair of harbringers as they look pretty good; ill have to take the palm plate out though.

8. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

are there any gloves with good padding that are also good with grappling? I hit hard and don't want to injur some sparring partners. I don't think I would like those vale tudo ones pusted up there. Those are not too bad though. I just may have to learn to hit softer to work with some good gloves. If they only protect your hand then should I bareknuckle?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  9. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Check out this in-depth review of many MMA gloves currently available:

SFUK glove review

Dred

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Me mom treated me to a nice pair of rogue fighter gloves.

There alittle light on the padding, but im not going to be pelting my sparring partner... nice open thumbless and open palm design. Top dogs imo!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Downside of them though is they don't have the 2nd set of padding over the lower knuckles!!! but as i said, their only for light sparring/ground work so no complaints! Thanks mom!!! :)

Pretty cheap aswell!!!

About the glove

11. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Those look nice. I use palm heels (palm strikes) though :( . Maybe I should buy a face guard for them :( . I tried bareknuckle but stopped when I broke my friends finger with a hook kick. I am ok with heavy foot pads (standard century ones). The gloves are too restricting. I can probly do my palm heels lightly though. Wonder if those gloves bruce invented would be good for me. i have not looked at them yet.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2004
  12. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

What would be the best brand for buying those type of gloves?

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Which gloves bruce invented? You mean the kenpo gloves? [​IMG]

If your reffering to them then i'd not recommend them to be honest, i've got a pair and their terrible for any grabbing of any kind. They are also very big and restricting.

14. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Oh my kenpo dojo didn't use those. Those look awful. They did bareknuckle and standard karate gloves. I thought bruce invented those guess I was wrong.

15. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I've only seen that brand developing those types of gloves... Other than that you've got the Harbinger gloves which aren't open palmed like the ones ive just purchased, but non the less top quality gloves...

[​IMG]

I was going to buy a pair but decided against it because there around £40 and not open palm.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  16. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Have a look at the player glove about 2/3 of the way down the page. Looks like nice padding and open palm. Around 30quid, not too bad. I can't testify that they are good because I don't have any, but if you get some please tell me what you think :D

Edit - Scratch that, they are on offer in the clearance section for 12.50!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Yeah, my mom treated me to a pair the other day and ive had no complaints so far!!! The open palm is great, makes them so nice for grabbing & grappling!!! Also they give you copious ammounts of velcro so wrist wraps dont come off to easily! But obviously tape is best ;)

[​IMG]

Ive used them on my bag last night and they were perfect, only downfall was the fact they they're cut high from the lower knuckles so you sometimes end up hitting your finger knuckle on the bag/target.

Other than that there top dogs!!!

18. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Did you mean the player glove or the ones in the picture?!? I wanted to know about the player gloves.

19. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Well one of my sparring partners said he don't care if I hit him hard, lol. I broke his finger last time with a hook kick. I guess I will just try to go ez with the power and go bareknuckle. I am gonna train with him at his school as well and see how wing chun goes. He also fought a aussie street fighter for fun, lol. The aussie was amazed at his fighting skills. Lol, I saw how nice the aussie got him though. He had a cut on his forehead. He went ez on the aussie and the guy wasted all of his energy. He admitted the aussie was a good fighter too.

20. totality

totality New Member

irrelevance.