Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Infrazael, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

[​IMG]

2. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Not much of a spoiler, what happened and when?

3. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

You can't tell from that picture who won?

4. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

Who won? Scott Coker of Strikeforce.

5. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

I don't know which ones which to be honest but I was more interested in how he got put down and when? Was it a good fight or one sided? Did it last or was it over quickly?

6. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

[​IMG]

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Textbook...
    the straight right cross will always beat a left hook that hasn't been set up off of something else. lol... nice way to pull the trigger.

Ok just went back and watched the whole fight. Wow... nice fight. Some good exchanges. Surely Brett Rogers is a fair bit heavier than Fedor. He looks looks huge by comparison. Fedor has to have the most deceiving build in all of MMA. He looks stubby and then he just mega transforms into those long reaching punches that come out of nowhere. Brilliant. :D

Fedor got caught bigtime by the early shot from Rogers. Ouch. Looked like a broken nose.... of course TV won't show too much of it... wouldn' want the viewing public to see that Fedor is actually a robot underneath it all! :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  8. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Hey Slipthejab,

That last fight was sweet and the whole card was really great!
    Fedor and Rodgers what a match. I like it that Rodgers really got
    after him and that it was a challenge.

9. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rasdBIxowOQ"]YouTube- Fedor Emelianenko Vs Brett Rodgers GREAT QUALITY[/ame]

Much props to Brett on that fight. Really shows he has what it takes to be a top tier heavyweight in my opinion. Obvious that he's been putting in work.

Less props to strikeforce's administrative staff for not making the copyright claims against this video sooner :D

10. Yohan

Holy crap, the Silva vs. Verdum fight stole the night:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3N9c7qg12E&feature=related"]YouTube- Strikeforce - Fabricio Werdum vs Antonio Silva [november 7 2009]MMA part.1[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHGhfWSlN_s&feature=related"]YouTube- Strikeforce - Fabricio Werdum vs Antonio Silva [november 7 2009]MMA part.2[/ame]

These guys showed out. This fight has it all: hard strikes, takedowns, clinch wok, conditioning, excellent Jiu Jutsu. With Antonio Silva weighing in at 263, he's one of the only people big enough and skilled enough to face off with Brock Lesnar.

The Mousasi vs Sokoudjou fight was almost as good. Sokoudjou showed excellent kickboxing and judo skills. Obviously, there's a reason he beat Nogueira. Mousasi is possibly the best light heavyweight in the world.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhOSC8YX_M&feature=related"]YouTube- Strikeforce - Mousasi vs Sokoudjou [november 7 2009]MMA part.1[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uUB83GQYDA&feature=related"]YouTube- Strikeforce - Mousasi vs Sokoudjou [november 7 2009]MMA part.2[/ame]

11. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Mousasi was great and you are right he is very, very good!

12. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Shogun vs. Mousasi would be fight of the no swearing! century.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
  13. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Fedor is the chhhitt. I've said it once i'll say it again

This guy needs to fight Lesnar, or whoever the UFC champ is.

Say no to paper champs and let's all beg Fedor to erase the last big Asterix by every HW's name.

14. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

It was an OK event, but the crowd boo'd just about every time the fight went to the ground. Which was a pity, because Shields-Miller was pretty fun for grappling fans.

Alright, in the prelims, my girl Roxanne Modafferi got knocked loopy and armbared by a naturally-larger Marloes Coenen. This fight was originally supposed to be Cyborg-Toughill, then Toughill-Coenen, and since there are only four legit 145ers in the world of female MMA, they brought in Roxy, who normally fights at 135, and weighed in at 140 for the fight.

The only other fight I cared about in the prelims had Jeff Curran in his first fight outside of the WEC, Dustin Neace with a knee to the body. I hope Curran can get a bit more exposure and have more competition. Hey, he's 145...

Werdum-Silva was a nice HW tilt, even if it did have the normal slower pace we've come to expect from the big men. Silva had the heavier hands and won the first round by knocking Werdum down, but in the second and third, Werdum used his superior BJJ as well as his kicks to take the decision away from Silva. Werdum's standup looks to be improving incrementally with each outing, and I'm glad to see Silva back in the US.

Mousasi-Sokoudjou was next. This match reminded me that CBS needs to get a new announce team. Pat Miletich offers some insightful PBP for Strikeforce on Showtime; they should put him in this spot instead. Anyway, at one point Gus Johnson, who I assume knows everything he does about fighting from reading "Captain America" comic books, comments on how Sokoudjou is having trouble getting Mousasi to the ground; looked to me like he was doing a very good job of faking the shot to get Gegard to drop his head, then landing with an uppercut. Anyway, Sokoudjou finally started using some of that Judo I keep hearing he's trained in, and controlled the clinch, even landing on top of Gegard a few times, though he's get reversed pretty quickly. In the second round, Soko was on his back, eating punches, and the ref stopped it. He did better than expected against a guy who's getting touted as the next best fighter at 205/185.

Shields-Miller was fought almost entirely on the ground, but the few times it was on the feet, Miller was obviously the far better striker. Shields used his grappling and great positioning skills to frustrate Miller, who early looked to pace himself and get Shields to wear himself out. Miller actually had the highlights of the night, as he landed a German Suplex on Shields, and had him in a tight RNC at the end of the third. Shields, for his part, worked some weak ground-and-pound, simply trying to stay active on the ground, but definitely controlling the fight. He attempted a few subs of his own, including a Twister, but in the end the fight went to decision, with all the judges awarding him the win.

The Fedor-Rogers fight got me thinking: either Fedor has lost a step, or Rogers is much better than I originally thought. Rogers busted Fedor's nose with his first punch, breaking it and causing it to bleed a lot. He was also able to reverse Fedor on the ground during the first, and land some ground-and-pound before an attempted arm bar by the Russian cost him his top position. Fedor, for his part, never looked hurt, despite the obvious damage, and though he swung wildly most of the time, his punches hurt Rogers. Early in the second, Fedor landed a right that put Rogers down, then laid in some brief GNP before Big John stepped in to stop it. Post-fight, Fedor said his victory was a victory for Orthodox Russians; Rogers was angry at himself and wanted a rematch.

Despite the A-level talent, it felt like a B-level show, mostly because CBS is still working out some kinks, like the announcing and production. The audio went out a few times, too. Aside from Werdum-Fedor or possibly Overeem-Fedor, I have no idea what they're going to do for another show. Presumably, Coenen has earned a shot at Cyborg, who's quickly running out of challengers; so's Mousasi, who's belt wasn't even on the line for this fight. The lighter weights offer some potential, and there was talk of Aoki being in a January CBS show, but these guys have all of two dozen fighters or so, and the gap between the top talent and the undercard is as stark as possible.

15. Topher

Topher allo!

[​IMG]

16. Yohan

Dude, seriously?

Maybe it's because I didn't watch the undercards, but I thought the main card was freaking AWESOME! I thought it really beat the tar out of most of the recent UFC cards I've seen. I didn't watch Shields vs. Miller, but Silva vs. Werdum, Rogers vs. Fedor, and Mousasi vs. Sokoudjou were AWESOME. They had all the things I want to see out of an MMA events: hard punches, hard kicks, takedowns, ground and pound, Jiu Jutsu, huge heart, strategy. I mean seriously, those guys were going at it.

Additionally, I don't think Rogers being able to compete with Fedor shows Fedor as weaker than previously thought. I think it shows that Rogers really has the stuff of a champion. He did put Arlovski away in the first round (just like Fedor). That guy really brought it to Fedor. That being said, strikeforce does have a reputation of putting scrubs up against their champions so they can keep raking in the cash.

Seriously though, what recent UFC card has had that kind of quality from beginning to end? Shogun vs. Machida was boss, though dissapointing, was awesome, but there weren't 2 more totally awesome fights on that card.

Honestly, in my opinion, this show really elevates strikeforce from a b-level event to an a-level event. I think they may give the UFC a run for their money.

17. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Ahem:

It's not the action I'm complaining about, but it just didn't have that big-event feel to it. Purely subjective, of course. I thought that Werdum-Silva and Mousasi-Sokoudjou were solid fights, but unremarkable ones compared to Shields-Miller and Fedor-Rogers. Which is OK. I'm just wondering where Strikeforce, especially on CBS, can go from here. I enjoyed the action in the "Challengers" event on Showtime more than those two fights, by and large. And I was looking forward to all of them.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  18. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Dude I agree that the event is solid. But honestly can Strikeforce pullout another fightcard with this many important fights? Allistair Overreem vs. Fedor. That's it. dude

Maybe if Strikeforce coalesces w/ every fight org. besides the UFC you might get 2 more fightcards worth televising.

Dude I hate to say it but I honestly want to see the best of the smaller promotions move onto the UFC.

After hating on Dana White for like 5 years. Damn dude I'm tired I just want to see the best fighters fight.