Street Attacks

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Judderman, Mar 11, 2004.

?

How many attackers?

1. 1 (One) ?

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Two ?

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. Three or four ?

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Over 5 ?

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

When attacked in/on the street how many attackers do you think you could typically encounter?

Budo.

2. valetudo74

valetudo74 Master of Ching Ching POW

I did some research on the typical attacks in my area according to the U.S. Dept. of Justice. The majority of attacks happened with 1-2 attackers typically brandishing a firearm. The other types of attacks occurred with knifes or blunt weapons such as sticks, pipes, etc.

MA instructors should really do their homework on common attacks, how many attackers usually mug someone, etc. That way, they can prepare curriculum based upon their research, and continuously update it to keep current with what's going on and how to prepare students for specific encounters.

3. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I find that there are at least two. One to actually harass you while the other makes sure there is no other available help (or to help his bud just in case your gaining the upper hand).

4. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I find this a rather strange question as there is no straight answer. You get attacked you...you get attacked. Who knows if it's going to be an army or not.

5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

This is a very situational question. However, in most cases, since attackers typically don't want to get hurt they often operated in small packs. However, there's almost always a leader/front man. What I've personally observed in fights is that there is a tendency for people to get involved after it's clear that "their" person is winning (i.e. the pakc of kickers that surrounds someone on the ground and comences to stomp). It's a weird pack mentality of sorts.

- Matt

6. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

ValeTudo, could you point me in the direction of this research as I would like to compare it with what I have from the UK.

Morphus and Matt, I agree that it is completely situational, perhaps I'm making a simple issue more complex.

Budo.

7. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

In my life, i have been attcked four times! Three out of the four times, there were two attackers.

8. ranger

ranger New Member

i answered two because in what i've have experienced and taught others that there would be AT LEAST TWO which means its very possible that there could be more.

good day :)

9. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

I've been involved with as many as 7 once (fists and feet flying from all directions) but I think I can only handle 2-3 at a time. I'd run or pick up a good weapon if I could. Don't bother putting weapons into the fray, that's not a good situation.