Steven Seagal... why does it seem everyone is so down on the guy?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Fair.

2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

In addition to what has been said:

I have heard rumors that Donn Draeger schooled him pretty badly.
    Also that Francis Fong put him in his place as well.
    And that he was rude to Dan Inosanto.

If he had a reasonable ego and attitude, and didn't mess with people he shouldn't (Judo Gene, etc.), didn't do silly publicity stunts, etc. he would have a meme about how tough he is just like Chuck Norris.

But being good at Aikido, even being 7th dan, doesn't go a long way when you alienate lots of other martial artists and behave the way he has.

Well, he did give cooks in the Navy some street cred in Under Siege.

3. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

My thread purpose wasn't really meant (although I guess it opened up a can of worms) to base his life and his attitude on why he was looked down on, but people do seem to down him as a MA's. I'm just saying I don't think that's particularly fair to anyone... especially anyone who takes it seriously and has put in their time to get to a high rank. Whether this person or that person was able to choke him out or whatever isn't really relevant. He clearly has not ever portrayed himself as a ring master in any of his movies or as far as I know... his life, but that Aikido can be used for SD, like I believe any MA can be if it is learned properly. Like the guy or not, he did help put Aikido on the map and I have to admit that it made me take a lot of interest in both Aikido and Hapkido.... the latter happened to be closer to me though.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I shout in pain when I have electric needle therapy - but if I don't allow someone to hook them up to me it won't be able to work

Same with Silva and Seagal

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Agreed. My current dojo is run by Seagal's former students. They speak very highly of his skill on the mat, and they themselves are very good.

They're also not fond of his personality, but -- yes, credit should be given where it is due. His aikido is fine.

6. Hannibal

Guro Dan also considered Seagal to have "top notch" Aikido

7. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

ok, so the guy is good at what he does, but he's a jerk, so that sums it up pretty much?

8. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Loved his early films especially Out for Justice and Nico, respect him for his earlier accomplishments in Aikido, wish he would stick with it through as some of his latest movies look like really badly done Wing Chun.....

He has an ego the size of Manhattan and is a little weird, remember his claims of being a reincarnation of a 17th Century Buddhist Tulku a while back?

Cheers

Dan

9. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Why are we talking about Seagal. Seagal is like bag head off Futurama: The Theif of Baghead.

"Bender develops the photo of Cobb and shows it to Fry, Amy, and Hermes, and the sight of it causes their lifeforce to violently escape their bodies, leaving them as nothing but empty, deflated husks. Professor Farnsworth deduces that Cobb must be a "quantum lichen", a race of alien lichen parasites that feed off of attention and admiration. Victims who pay attention the lichen are feeding it, but gazing at its face will cause a biological being to have their lifeforce sucked out"

Seagal is bad news. Don't feed the Seagal

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Like the fight scene in the fish market of "Belly of the Beast" where half/two thirds of the shots in the fight sequence look more like they got a guy about thirty pounds lighter to do the same shots for him?

Initially I sat there and went "err, that was a weird reaction from the 'raptor". Then I googled it. Yeah, that might have been a tad on the inappropriate side.

You might have answered your own question there.

Now I fully admit I have never met the man nor trained with his students. Yeah, he was given a 7th dan in Aikido once. Yeah, he might have been reasonable once. Yeah, his dojo might have had a reputation for being hard.

Certainly if you look at him now though, the way he conducts himself and the way he moves, he's definitely let himself go. Hell, for a "buddhist" and an "aikidoka", he looks like he's spent more time playing up to a mix of "camera fu" and "burger jutsu":

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psb29yl7IKY"]Action star Seagal shares aikido expertise with Russians [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

But every time I've seen him do an interview, feature in a documentary or anything else, he just comes across as a massively egotistical tosser. Everything from claiming he was a reincarnation of a former Dalai Lama and was born "clairvoyant" and "a healer" and can teach spirituality to his fans just by looking at them to telling people how he taught Silva loads of "secret techniques" and so forth. His attitude towards other people, the way he conducts himself, he just comes across as a terrible person.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/6/1...taught-anderson-silva-techniques-chael-sonnen

And then his movies...goodness grief, he's a one trick pony of an actor who plays the exact same role in the exact same type of story in every film he features in.

So...how he's managed to stay in some form of limelight after all this time is probably his biggest achievement.

11. embra

embra Valued Member

Seagall's Aikido is over-rated. Why?

First-off my days of Aikido are well behind me - so my criticism may not be valid.

However 3 points.

1) In a lot of his throws and projections, he loses his centre-line balance as he offsets his position - he has lost (due to old-age - quite common) or never had - the development of his weight-change, entering capability and general mobility. You see this a lot in his kote-gaeshi.

2) As a consequence of the above his posture and general movement is stiff and often not well-aligned. As a consequence of his stiff posture, a lot of his technique is not that developed i.e. he depends on power and strength too much - which is ok at his size, but will never be useful for someone half his size.

He can get away with this because he is a big fellow.

3) In a lot of Seagull's more energetic vids, his ukes are small. Very rarely is he training with fellows with the same size - who really attack him with some menace and purpose.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I make bad jokes sometimes, but I always try to ask myself, who's laughing the victim or the victimizer? I meant to joke that Kelly Lebrock was very attractive and Seagal was… well, not. I only googled after Zaad's post. Mea culpa. :[

edit: oh wait, were you saying my 'inappropriate' was on the weird side for me? I edited out my joke and replaced it with 'inappropriate' because my own jokes were… well yeah. It doesn't look like the years have diminished this scum bag's practice. Guy needs to be put behind bars.

13. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Well, he (Seagall), is certainly all over the place – from coaching and attempted-coaching (Jon Jones declined) high-level MMA stars in their dressing rooms to training armed school-patrol posses in the American Southwest desert; being sworn in as an actual law enforcement officer – a “sheriff's deputy” ( this is the States after all )in a border state; is also a law enforcement agent in still another part of the country – a reserve deputy in the City of New Orleans and somehow, manages the time to oversee the Russian Youth Physical Fitness Programme under Vladmir Putin.

Hunger for …. something … still unabated, he is said to be seeking a Governorship in another Southwestern American state and oddly , seems to have enough political support to stir up the kettle.

Must be something in the water.

It would be like Rowan Atkinson holding a presser at the Yard as he walks about giving the Diplomatic Protection Group pointers one day, photographed holding focus mitts for a smiling Amir Khan the next, then there he is on Sky News mouthing off on Scottish Independence and you flip the channel to BBC News and now he's at Thames House, accepting a pat on the back for work well done 'rounding up errant Pakis, with members of the Home Office looking on and applauding.

Would this actually happen?

Mr. Bean, handing out traffic tickets for Northumbria Police one day, giving Michael Bisping RNC pointers the next and then overseeing weapons training at NSY the next. Would it be questioned ? LOL!

Seagull [sic] is or was more than likely a decent martial artist at some point, but I don't know anything about Aikido; however, I think he was one of the few outsiders/foreigners to teach MA in Japan, IIRC.

What happened?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304873/Steven-Seagal-trains-armed-posse-protect-Arizona-schools-firing-guns-using-actual-children.html

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Silva didn't break his leg on Weidman's knee - Seagal exploded the bones with his mind because Silva forgot to say "Thank you, Sensei" when Seagal taught him how to blink.

Be careful what you say about such a powerful individual.

15. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Yeah, normally you have some kind of witty comment concealed in your repertoire somewhere that I can normally have a giggle at, so when I just saw "-inappropriate", I sat there and went "...really? That's stranger than a platypus in beaver/duck convention...".

EDIT:
    Hahaha :D

16. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

I used to like his movies in the early years, now he just looks like a fat turd

17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

nonsense. any ma cannot be used for self defense. it's an illusion of the industry and a way to separate people from their money.

no he didn't help put aikido "on the map". morihei ueshiba, kisshomaru ueshiba and others did that. saying that it was steven seagal is an insult to the founder of aikido and several very high ranking promoters of the art.

18. Hannibal

Actually I think "on the map" within the context means "in the public eye".

Few people had any concept of Aikido mainstream wise before Seagal....he is the Hulk Hogan of the Aikido world

19. Ruark

Ruark New Member

As always, any celebrity figure will be awash in rumors. "I heard..." "I read..." "somebody said..." Everybody loves to throw food. Eventually we'll read that he's a space alien from Mars, and he brushes his teeth with radioactive pixie dust from the Seventh Ring of Saturn.

Jeez, close this thread already.

20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

What I would like to know is...what's wrong with his hair? His hairline..it's just disturbing! He looks like Eddie Munster or has had a black doormat superglued to his bonce!

Steven Seagull

[​IMG]

Eddie Munster

[​IMG]

(yes...I know!!)