Steve Morris says all forms of Karate are useless

Discussion in 'Karate' started by ronki23, Mar 7, 2018.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: Matt F- please edit out profanity in those quotes in the future. Thanks!

2. Clobbersaurus

Clobbersaurus Valued Member

It's worth noting that Steve Morris is very vocal on Facebook in denouncing ALL martial arts and ALL combat sports as "lacking." Dittto for ALL self defence systems.

My own take, based on reading all his input on the net, and watching three of his videos (bought in the mid noughties) is that is basically just a nut. I was a huge supporter of his, but as time went on, it became clear that he really isn't worth taking seriously.

He has been making increasingly ridiculous claims about himself for years. Whilst simultaneously slagging off everyone else. No one else on the planet (apparently) knows a thing about training, fighting, or violence. Coaches like Greg Jackson have no idea how to coach. MMA fighters have no idea how to fight. He's the only one with the "good oil" so to speak.

This is obviously not a reasonable stance to take.

Personally, I think he impresses people who are simply aren't thinking logically and looking at him objectively.

On a personal level, he just comes across as unbalanced. Want proof? Look at his Facebook. He's always telling potential clients to back away, whilst simultaneously whinging that he doesn't have students and that he's broke.

Looney.

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: Please remember no profanity is allowed on MAP. Thanks

axelb and bassai like this.
  4. Clobbersaurus

My apologies for the profanity. I am aware of the rule, but got caught up in what I was writing.

5. Clobbersaurus

Before anyone counters with stories about what a great fighter Morris is, yes I am sure he is a very hard man. But I don't believe he's as tough as he says he is. Simply because one would have to be a comic book character like Batman or Daredevil to THAT hard! Likewise stories about him from people who have trained with him. Stories tend to get bigger with the telling, in general and hyperbole does tend to creep in. Morris is no exception.

6. Son of Putrid

Son of Putrid New Member

I have met Mr Morris in the past and he was impressive,at least in terms of his teaching ability.I have never seen him fight so I can't be a judge of his ability in that area.My only gripe with him was that he didn't let students punch and kick him.Some of the better teachers I have trained with have always allowed me to strike their body so they can see how my striking is progressing.He seemed to strike students so they could feel the effect of blows but didn't ask them to strike him which was very disapointing to put it mildly.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As my old mum would say "He's got two bob each way on himself". :)

Dead_pool and Hannibal like this.
  8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

"General assertions, like general truths, are not always applicable to individual cases." - Letitia Elizabeth Landon

9. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Again, got any links to these posts to show what he actually says and the context he says it in.
    And again it’s worth pointing out that it’s always guys on the internet who have not trained with or know the guy that say such derogatory stuff. As oppose to real people who are big names , fighters, ex fighters, trainers, etc etc who say good things , who have been influenced by him, had him in to do seminars, exchanged ideas, been good friends with etc etc and who would not agree with the view that he is nuts or a loon, either.

Concerning things that are not true.....which things?
    The guys a lying ,loony ,nut eh. Haha.

10. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Met or trained? Once, often?
    Which sessions or seminars were you at?

I only ask as that’s not my experience.
    Also there’s a clip with him getting the aforementioned Mark Tobin to hit him and can be heard asking him to do it harder. It was put up as part of a post about drills and to demonstrate drills he does and used to do to build a defence. He got guys to try to knock him out.

11. Son of Putrid

Son of Putrid New Member

Trained,and only once.It was around ten years ago and to be honest I was well past my sell by date and couldn't do his training the justice it deserved,hence the reason I never went back.In all fairness to him it was an introductory session and things might have been different as training progressed.It is true that he has asked guys to try and knock him out but he is defending himself rather than just standing there and taking blows.I should have said that "Chinese teachers I had trained with" took blows to their bodies to assess a students striking ability.Just their way of doing things and Steve probably has a different approach that works for him.

We did the drills you mention and they were very effective.The idea being that the defender asks for an increase in power as their ability increases rather than the attacker going all out to try and beat them up.I did train these drills with a partner for quite a long time and they are extremely effective.

Its best to either meet or train with him before coming to a judgement.I can assure you that he won't spend the entire session ranting about how bad karate is,or if he even mentions it at all.

12. Clobbersaurus

I didn't make up any of the criticisms I have levelled at Morris. Everything is there in Facebook, or his website if you care to look.

As for the implication that my opinion is not valued as I am not a "big name," I fear I must accuse you of hypocrisy. If I were on here singing Morris's praises, you would be all for it. My opinion is only devalued when I have something negative to say about (apparently) your hero.

Regarding big names, the VAST majority of people who have trained with him left him. Why? I would ask. He can't keep students for very long. He isn't popular. He admits this himself.

I am not going to bother getting into a tit for tat discussion with you.

SWC Sifu Ben and Hannibal like this.
  13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

In boxing the constant solo practice of combinations and sequences of techniques is fundamental, and a lot of that is because you want to hone basic things like footwork, core muscles and learn to not lock your joints, etc. I liken it to grace. I don't even remember my old karate forms it's been 30+ years, but I don't feel they were useless. Clearly somebody who'd spent a lot of time challenging their body came up with them. I remember struggling to even perform them, and that struggle was a big part of the learning process. Sensei wacked my legs with a wooden stick more than once to improve my posture. The basic idea is simple, you should make sure you can conquer your own weakness before you try beating someone elses in any format. If karate kata was a prerequisite for boxing, it might really weed out a lot of people. Lot of people will end their boxing career at basic conditioning....kata did seem to have at least a formulaic approach to building endurance.

14. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Just asking for a link to these posts to show what he actually says and the context he says it in , that’s all.

Your opinion is valid. Your free to say it.
    Just as I’m free to offer mine.
    Your implication was that he impresses people who aren’t thinking logically or looking at him objectively.
    Some of These people are experienced and respected guys from all areas of martial arts and differing styles.
    And I’m sorry, but it is always random guys on the internet who have never met the guy or trained with him who say things like he’s a nut or loon.....and even worse at times.
    I’d love to know how others would react to that kind of criticism haha.
    I think most people would find it unfair if someone had never met someone yet was calling them a loon or nut.

Your my hero.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

*you're

:D

SWC Sifu Ben likes this.
  16. Clobbersaurus

You have to love the internet. You can spend days, weeks, months, years, going round and round with some idiot who ALWAYS has to have the last word. and who doesn't even know the difference between "You're" and "Your."

I

17. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Seems a bit much.

I think you both made good points. I reckon dismissing MattF as an idiot is both inaccurate and unnecessary.

Grond, Simon, Travess and 1 other person like this.
  18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Or one who starts a new sentence with "and", and also in lower case.

Just saying. :D

Grond likes this.
  19. Clobbersaurus

That was a deliberate mistake. Top marks for noticing that man.

Well it's quite right that there was no cause for me to insult Matt F personally. Personal Attacks are silly, and I apologise to Matt F.

Grond likes this.
  20. Clobbersaurus

Regarding Morris,

Let's leave aside whether or not he's a nutcase (I think he is, but that's clearly not the point of the discussion).

This thread is basically about if his claim against Karate is valid. It obviously isn't as Karate isn't "useless."

There are plenty of people who do Karate who can fight.

Morris is very vocal about how everything other than what he does (whatever that is) is useless. Don't believe me? Look on his Facebook page and read what he has written.

Obviously this is nonsense. I don't think I need to go into why.

All styles and methods (apart from his obviously) are useless. Ditto everyone other than him. Again, don't believe me? READ what he himself has written.

Greg Jackson

Bruce Lee

MMA fighters in general

W.E. Fairbairn

Geoff Thompson

Everyone who does any martial art.

Some examples of people or groups who don't have a clue according to Morris.

Again, untenable nonsense.

I get he needs to market himself, but these claims go beyond common sense.

Look, as we all know, fighting and training to fight isn't rocket science. Realistic sparring, bagwork, padwork, conditioning, realistic techniques. That's it!
    Look at Morris's vids. What is so very different from what other people do? Bagwork? Padwork? Shadow boxing? Yes. So?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Grond likes this.