Starting Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Willsy, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Hi there Judo guys, have just decided to take up Judo with the university club here in order to try round out my skill set. I have a strong base in karate, did a year of JJJ and can safely do the simple breakfalls, which I hope is a good start. Went to my first lesson tonight and quite enjoyed it, although it seemed that there was a black belt guy there maybe late 60's, 70?), his son and another guy, brown belts, took training. Is that normal? Apparently the guy has quite a good record as a Judoka, just getting on a bit now. Not complaining, simply wondering :)

I'm quite glad I've found this club, as I first wanted to train in BJJ for groundfighting, but 3 thing stopped that:
    1 They didn't seem to cover much transitioning from stand-up to ground, which I'm interested in as a karateka.
    2 I found the method of learning quite difficult, maybe it's from being in karate for so long, but there didn't seem to be a clear progression through techniques, rather randomly decided on all the time.
    3 The cost went from $5 to $10 when they changed location, so as a poor uni student i cannot afford that.

Anyway, i've heard that judo fits quite well with karate, indeed I know that the head of our org, Morio Higaonna Sensei, holds a dan grade (2nd dan?) as well as another top dog in our org.

Anyway, enough of my prattling, any advice?

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Enjoy ......

You will ...

dont expect to get good clean jjj breakfalls in Judo !!!!!

Smurf

3. thauma

thauma Valued Member

good luck and enjoy it.

To an extent don't worry about the grade of the person teaching, think more about their ability to 'teach', communicate, motivate and enthuse. their judo techniques need to be good, but you will learn a lot from a blue belt. At brown belt they have leant most of the things that they need for their Dan grading, and you don't know how far they are from it.

As a Dan I would be happy being taught by a lower grade (e.g. blue / brown), however I would be wary of a club where all the teaching was done by a blue or lower. I think brown is fine, providing that they have the appropriate coaching qualifications.

4. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Coaching certificate is only given to Shodan or higher rank. If there is a brown belt teaching class, rest assure - he/she is NOT a USA Judo certified coach... Not to say he/she is not qualified to teach at brown belt - and in fact may be a better instructor than some black belts - but they are NOT certified coach/instructor.

I am a USA Judo certified coach/instructor - however, even though I have over 30 years of BJJ training, I hold no rank in BJJ. Due to my long time experience in BJJ, however, I still teach it and coach my students in Jiu Jitsu & NAGA events - but I can not promote them to a higher belt. That's where my brother comes in... he is a brown belt under Carlos Rollinson - and has trained with some of the better known BJJ guys in Miami. PS: in BJJ - a purple belt CAN promote belts.

The brown belt Judoka may be a great instructor, but he can not promote his students.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  5. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

I don't think USA Judo applies to the OP as he appears to be located in New Zealand.

For the record, in the UK, you can achieve your Level 1 coaching qualification at nikyu, which I am doing, and your Level 2 coaching qualification at ikkyu.

Also I don't believe the brown belt would be promoting anyone as there appears to be an older judoka who is of dahn rank at the club.

6. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

As above, I'm in NZ so that probably doesn't apply, but yes we also have an older dan grade who I assume grades people. Also the other Judo club in town (non uni) and this club train together, the instructor in the other Judo club is apparently an 8th dan with a lot of achievements, so he might have something to do with that.

Anyway I'm just gonna enjoy being a new student again and learn as much as I can.

7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Go and enjoy yourself Willsey

Smurf

8. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

:eek: Oooops! My bad - Sorry.

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

What he said ;)

I like that we have a seperation of fighting and coaching (kinda like the seperation between state and church ;) ). And that there is even a seperation of coaching and examining! Maintains high standards and allows those coaches who may be awesome coaches but mediocre fighters to do their thing.

10. thauma

thauma Valued Member

As has been pointed out there are differences from country to country, and my original comments relate to the UK.

Interestingly in the UK (in my experience at least)gradings are also generally run at a regional level and rarely at the club level, thus ensuring a more consistent level of quality; however it is a while since I practised judo as I have moved on to pastures new so things may have changed

Of course much of this will depend on style (BJA, BJC, Zen, Traditional Kyushindo etc) as well a geographic location.

I would suggest that if you're unsure, then find out who your governing body os and ask them what their coaching requirements are.

11. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

6, 5, 4th Kyu are still done in-club.

Theory for 3, 2, 1 Kyu can be done in-house if the coach has the correct examiner qualification, or can be done at a national grading.

Points for 3-1 kyu are at national grading or three-star and above competition.

Dan grade theory has to be done at a national grading.

12. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Valued Member

That sounds like the BJC grading syllabus.

The BJA system is theory up to brown belt in your club. The grading documentation does mention that kyu grades are encouraged to enter split grade and club competitions, however because it is not a 'requirement' to grade this seems to be missed. Personally I think it is important to emphasise that competion for kyu grades is still encouraged.

Once brown belt a mixture of theory and competitive grading is needed, unless you want to stay a brown belt for 5 years and grade through the technical route. Theory for Dan grade can be carried out by a 'senior examiner,' there are competitive gradings you can enter dotted around the country every weekend.