Standard Kumite - a waste of time!!!!!

Discussion in 'Karate' started by kokuToraRyu, Oct 27, 2009.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

Yeah, seen that before. Amazing. Still, age effects everyone. Has there ever been a 65 year old world boxing champ? A 70 year old UFC champ, etc? No, and there is a reason for that.

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Sure it does, but you can either throw in the towel then or still keep doing what you love. Jack LaLanne is 95 years old and still does a daily fitness routine that would wear out the majority of the people on this forum. If you dedicate your life to being fit and healthy and doing what you enjoy, you'd be surprised how long you can keep doing it for if you play it smart.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Clearly on a technical level karate translates well to a different arena.

Indeed. As I see it the "debate" between MMA/Fullcontact and trad martial arts was never about the techniques but the way those techniques were trained.
    Hitting air v hitting pads if you will.
    And Leon Walters opponent had a terrible guard. Kept it up when out of range, dropped it when he was in range (as did Walters to be fair). Not to take away from Walters achievement...it was good. But there was a reason why his techniques landed so well.

4. puma

puma Valued Member

Yes, but that wasn't really the point. You can say that about any fight. You can make a case for any punch or kick shouldn't land. Did Pacquiao knock Hatton out because he is a magnificent fighter, or was it because Hatton made it easy for him? Probably a bit of both, but it is irrelevant. The point was that some believe points fighters can't hit properly because they train to control their techniques. This isn't the case. I believe good fighters can adapt, and they can adapt to whatever rules are applied for certain bouts.

Sure it does, but you can either throw in the towel then or still keep doing what you love. Jack LaLanne is 95 years old and still does a daily fitness routine that would wear out the majority of the people on this forum. If you dedicate your life to being fit and healthy and doing what you enjoy, you'd be surprised how long you can keep doing it for if you play it smart.

Sure. But I never said give up. I said getting bashed full-contact doesn't get any easier when you get older. There comes a point when you get slower, weaker, and you just can't take it any more like you used to, no matter how good you were.

5. Palace_denizen

Palace_denizen Valued Member

well said sir. when amir khan got knocked out in 54 seconds i think it was a karate moment in a boxing ring.