stances used with a bo

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Cougar_v203, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

would some one actually fight in horse stance it feels too unblanced and unstable.

ANd there is more to a stance than how you stand isnt there. I have a book tha has chapters on sword stances and the foot work is all identical.
    A lot of sword work can carry over to staff work especially if you study a style of swordmanship that uses a sword with two hands. well at least I think so.

2. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Thats a good point Cudgel me ole china. When I practice Yang Style Taijiquan I often perform identical movements in the Broadsword and Short Staff forms. The weapon forms are movements which are merely extentions of the empty handed forms.

3. Cudgel

Yeah the basic techniques of fighting stay the same only the particulars change. THe trick is know what can and cannot transfer over. Ive used modifications of my greatsword technique with larger polearms so I guess I could my greatsword with staff.
    and a shrot staff is a lot like a sword only not sharp.

<turns ramble mode off>

4. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Yes I've noticed [and also been told many times] that a lot of our stances and moves both open handed and with bo etc translate over into the sword work, particularly all the arnis work we do..

What sort of work do you others do with the bo?

We have a number of great kata and of course defensive moves.

Most of my work to date has been with these but I'm interested to hear what others are doing!

5. Cudgel

well stick work will transfer over but you need to have some experiance cutting with a sword as a sword behaves differently when it strikes than a stick.
    You have to be aware of the edge alignment so the sword willl cut where as with astick you can just hit the person.

Adn you have to have follow through ie you can just hit your traget with the sword you have hit through it.

But oince youve done some cutting it should be possibel to transfer stuff over really easy.

OK for a slightly more on topic post

Does any one else do wrap shots with sticks?

ANd the stick work I do mostly is with shinai tryin to learn to fight with sword.

6. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Cool! My next aim is to get into sword work.

btw we use the knuckle alignment with our arnis sticks to remind ourselves that this is where the blade would be...

by wrap shots do you mean snake disarms or figure 8 strokes or what??

:)

I'm doing a mean redondo these days... ditto with single and double sinawali

and I'm improving the banda banda daily! :)

Nothing like a bo though!

I did a rough count and my latest bo kata has over 120 moves in it.

When put together with the other ones its too big to even ponder, the numbers make my head hurt!

7. Cudgel

a wrap shot is somethign I learned from the SCA it involves using hte side of the stick that is closest to you. Its done at close range to hit usally inthe head.
    You throw normal blow but rotate you wrist so the stick wraps around the head or wahatever and snaps in with some nasty force.. It can be used to get around sheils nad other weapons..

I sauck at desrcribing moves.

8. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Which bo kata is this? I love my bo katas.

9. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

we just call it Bo kata number 4... :)

its basically shishi no kon no dai [hope I have the right name]

the others are Sakagawa, Shimabuku and Miasata and they all join together to become Bo kata number 5 for Nidan level.

10. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Thanks Reiki, just showing an interest :)