Spot the MAPers

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Alansmurf, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Sampsi

Sampsi Valued Member

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Someone really needs to add the Yakety sax "Benny Hill" music to these vids. :)

Seriously though....these are great. Just the sheer chaos of it all is amazing. You can see the groups and individuals well enough and then guys can moved 10-20 feet in a split second and there's people all over.

Just a thought...I know John uses some old t-shirts but I think it wold really help if each person had a different colour. It's much easier to see what Sampsi/Chris is doing (and easier to target too perhaps) because he's so visible in the tight pink number. :)

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Sorry john I improved with the throwing up ...I was manufacturing an out from the situation .... Chris's response was fantastic !!

Top day again gents many thanks

Smurf

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Who has continued to learn after the event, and after reviewing these videos?

I found that I gained a lot from just replaying the day back in my mind over and over. How I moved, held my hands and posture, how the techniques worked with my current art(s) and so on.

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

It's something I've considered. I'm one of the few people who uses t shirts (because it protects the armour and prevents pulling on exposed components).

I use the DART t shirts for the obvious reason that it identifies the training provider in all the videos. The 4 colours presently in use (yes, even that pink) have the DART logo. On the one hand increasing the number of colours would make it easier to identify people, on the other it reduces the confusion for the participants.

I do have other colours available (as part of my current stock) with printed logos that I can use. I could alternatively put coloured markings on the helmets.

Thoughts from other participants?

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'd go for more colours in T-shirts, personally. It's large and obvious, therefore easier to identify in the heat of the moment. Yellow, light blue, light green and white - might be some good ideas as they stand out and stand apart from each other on top of what you already have. Helmets might work if you were to get the whole thing in a different colour, otherwise it might be hard to spot. However, that would mean buying new helmets, plus there might be availability issues.

Watching the vids afterwards, with no pressure on, I still found it hard to distinguish between myself and Gary. He had white gloves, I had black, but I had to specifically look for the gloves if I wanted to tell who was who.

7. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Gary had 'the legs'. :)

I have white, yellow, dark blue, light blue and pale brown t shirts as well. :)

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I still have one of your small pink DART T shirts. My daughter now uses it as a nightie :D

MItch

9. Simon

As does mine.:cool:

10. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Ha ha! He did, didn't he. :D

11. Mitch

All the best dressed girls wear DART :D

Mitch

12. Alansmurf

Not being able to ID opponents was fun ...just hit everyone was a good sensible approach !!!

Smurf

13. Simon

Is that a personal or professional opinion Smurf?

On a seperate note congratulations goes out to Smurf, who yesterday was awarded his 6th dan in Jujitsu by the Mushin Budo Association.

Congratulations. :cool:

14. Alansmurf

Personal of course !!!!

Thanks simon been a good few weeks , new name HappySmurf

15. Mitch

Congratulations!

Mitch

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations Smurf! :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  17. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Congrats Smurf! Now use it to beat these English bastards up for having such cool gear and being organized enough to enjoy it without me.

18. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Well done Papa Smurf! :)

Also I'm really hoping if you have another date coming up its before I go back away - been lurking on this thread with great interest and would very much like to attend the next one if theres chance John.

19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

congrats smurf!

20. Simon

Really nice to see that these clips have sparked a lot of interest.
    It really would be worth coming to one of these seminars. It will really make you question yourself.
    Also how nice is it that style does not matter?
    I bet you can't tell the karate guys from any other style.

We are all not so different after all.