Split: Why did/do you want your KSW black belt??????

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Silentmonk, Jan 4, 2006.

1. PopeCoyote

PopeCoyote The words of the fool

I used to train in Shotokan before I came to Kuk Sool, and one of my Shotokan Sensei's favorite sayings was that the only thing a black belt means is that you've mastered the BASICS and now you're ready to BEGIN training. :) Always liked that phrase.

2. KSW_KJN

KSW_KJN Valued Member

Funny, but my master also stated the same thing. When I received my black belt, he told me, "Now, we start." :) Additionally in KSW, many of the techniques you learn throughout your training are revisited and typically extended as you advance through later belts.

3. JoKyoNimJey

JoKyoNimJey Valued Member

The first time that I went with my instructor to visit his instructor, I noticed that they talked about their students (particularly the ones who stuck around to get their black belts) as if they were part of a family. I've kept that in my mind for quite some time. To me my black belt means that I have put forth the effort to make the aforementioned family a better one.

4. JKN_TREV

JKN_TREV New Member

nicely put jey........

i suppose for me, ive always wanted to become a martial artist, so when i checked out kuk sool for the first time i was hooked, from the moment i joined and got my uniform i made a promise to myself that i would get my black belt no matter what! then after i took my first test in front of Kuk Sa Nim i realized there was more to getting a black belt than just being a badass, you become a part of the kuk sool family. As jey put it, when we first met our instructor's instructor, he told us that kuk sool isnt just a place for anybody, its a big family, and he said that we are welcome in his school anytime. That made me want that black belt even more, and to progress even further, hopefully to attain at least a 7th degree before i die.

So yeah, getting my blackbelt wasnt just a belt to me, its much much more.

5. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

Dude, that is one of the coolest things I've heard in a very long time. I want that out of KS, and it often makes me sad how hard it is to get my fellow students to do things with me outside of class, even if most of them are way outside my age bracket one way or the other.

6. ember

ember Valued Member

I guess I was too busy with grad school to see much of it at my dojang before going to Korea. But in Korea it was pretty good. By chance, several people from my father's hometown happened to be on the exact same bus as us, and we talked some on the trip.

The week after we got back, I went up to Indiana for what ended up being my grandfather's funeral, and I ended up in emergency surgery. They drove an hour and a half to visit me in the hospital on the day of their local bb testing. That really stuck with me.

7. scotlfs

scotlfs Valued Member

The quick answer is "Self Reliance". However the complicated answer is well, more complicated than that. I can't really depend on myself to "Work out" without a regimented program of sorts, or at least something that demands I show up regularly. So its also for health, but that's also self reliance (hence the quick answer). I also practice yoga for health and as part of martial arts training, I also garden for self reliance and health, and I also hunt for the same reasons.

I want to Kick Ass. I don't mean I want to go around looking for a fight, it doens't mean I want to dive into trouble, but it does mean that if I am walking down the street with my wife and kids that we are able to protect outselves whther that be by fostering situational awareness and knowing to get out and away quickly, or being able to stand side by side with each other stop the harm from coming.

Martial Arts, beyond all the philosophy and athleticism provides one thing and one thing only in the grand scheme of survival, it gives you the opportunity to grow from meek to master of your immediate surroundings. It is the grand equalizer that prevents the average hooligan from taking advantage of you as an average meek person, there is always someone better that me and you as a fighter/protector/agressor, however the playing field is leveled, when one raises themself above meekness.

Martial Arts builds Real Men and Real Women from mice. Practicing Martial Arts is Practicing to be a Real Man. I am however not detracting from those who do not, being kind and gentle are just as much part of being a Real Man or Real Woman as anything else. Not everyone is right for Martial Arts Practice, and there are plenty of other venues for self development. I however choose Martial Arts as part of my program that includes safe firearms practice, small scale farming, home repair, and general independence/self reliance as part of my continual growth as a Real Man.

That's my opinion...just remember, you asked :)

Scot

8. scotlfs

scotlfs Valued Member

As it turns out, like many in this thread, this will be my third martial art. IsshinRyu when I was 15-17, Tae Kwon Do started a few years ago, and now Kuk Sool Won.

My two older sons attended Tae Kwon Do along with me, the older son attained a High Green Belt (5th Gup), and my younger son who started later got his High Yellow (7th Gup).

I am starting KSW first, then my older son, then my younger son. My youngest son who is now 3 is really excited to do it also, but I don't think Master Jeff Green will allow it. But boy he wants to. He's the sort for it too...

Maybe in the smaller classes, he'll allow my 3 year old to "practice" with us on occasion.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  9. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

Well, I started KSW to get fit. Having tried the gym thing cycling running etc.
    I didnt have the self discipline to do those things. Guess I needed someone else telling me what to do. I also started to encourage my 6 year old son.
    When I got to yellow belt I started to think about opening a club (!) I actually asked my instructor what I had to do. He laughed (not surprisingly) and said, get to Black belt first. So I did.
    That was about 11 years ago. Now I teach KSW for a living!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  10. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

I'm glad you achieved your goal, even after he laughed at it.

I heard a funny story about a woman in Kuk Sool, who said that when she first started, she told her master she wanted one of the pretty unifroms with the red trim. Without skipping a beat, he said, "That might take awhile." She gets to wear silver, but I don't know if she is still working on the red.

11. NO PAIN NO GAME

NO PAIN NO GAME New Member

After so many years of Karate, I decided I wanted a new challenge

I went to a local KSW demo, loved what I saw especially the weapons!, gave it a try and have loved it ever since!

12. Gav123

Gav123 Valued Member

I started after 15 years of doing Karate, Kick Boxing and Muay Thai. Having trained Martial Arts for so long and having had a black belt for about 8 years it is nice to start at the beginning again with a new art. Motivation for black belt is a confidence thing as I hate performing(!) in front of people.

Eventually I would like to start my own school with a mix of all the martial arts I have done in the past, although this will probably only ever be a dream. Bills and commitments etc, I'm sure you all understand.

13. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

I had a simliar dream Gav123..see post 49 above. When I made the decision to go full-time at KSW I was in the middle of a divorce, had just bought a house and my wife to be (after the divorce!) was pregnant. There is ALWAYS a way if you want something enough.

14. scotlfs

scotlfs Valued Member

KIWEST,
    Now that's a lot of samsara, but you did it.

Scot

15. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

EVERYTHING is Samsara scotlfs. But, for the time being anyway, we have to live in it! But yes, I did it. So I suppose I must have done something right at sometime. (Previous life no doubt!)

16. scotlfs

scotlfs Valued Member

True, it is all samsara, but to put it in a certain point of view (even if truly an innaccurate description of samsara). Some people seem to been drawn to more of it, some people go with the current, some people dive right on into the samsara pool, and some people seem to splash their samsara on everyone around them.

You seem to have done very well despite all the samsara around you.

17. DoJe

DoJe Valued Member

Did the education bit until late 20's, not really being big on physical as a child, then needed new challenges.
    Learnt to fly late 30's which was different - so then what?
    My 6 year old started KSW to improve his strength and coordination and I [and my wife] decided that the best way to support him was to join ourselves.
    Now from my chronology you will have figured out that I was no spring chicken when I started - in fact I am proud to be the oldest member in my club - sneaking it over my instructor by 14 days ;-). This gives me great joy when I outstay the youngsters and an excuse when I don't - but don't think I have to play that card too often actually.
    So progress towards BB will be more of a saunter for me than a gallop - but all the more enjoyable for that I suspect - afterall what is the point in dashing to an ever moving finishing post? To quote someone far wiser than I "a journey of a 1000 miles starts with just one step". Surely BB is just another one of those steps -albeit a very important one - but hey - I thought that about my Yellow Stripe ;-)

18. Locoduck

Locoduck Valued Member

I started KSW because I joined the Police Force, I wanted to gain confidence, strength and learn how to defend myself even though they teach you that in the force...................Plus I really liked the Instructor and after 4 years down the line I married him! LOL