Special needs Judo

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by finite monkey, Jun 26, 2011.

1. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Hi all

The judo club to which I am the tresurer is moving towards providing special needs judo
    Here in Ireland, special needs covers all physical and intelectual disabilities. Kind of a broad brush, but hey, I did'nt make up the rules!

I would love to hear your advice, hints, ideas and anecdotes

Our club is dedicated to providing judo training to all and relish the challenge of this new and exciting area

Thanks

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

blind judoka are really skilled

3. righty

righty Valued Member

There are a few special needs Judo places around, although generally they are hard to find. I would suggest finding one and getting in contact for some tips. Maybe develop some sort of sister school relationship.

4. mike.Budo

mike.Budo Valued Member

Greetings each

The society I belong to is focus on providing such training . Everyone is entitled to achieve.We do not recognize disability we recognize other abilities.

To be honest those students who are deemed to have special needs are generally ADHD,OCD,Torettes , or just not coping with life to well.I am the Welfare Officer for our Society. If we can be of any assistance, please just ask.

5. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

thanks Mike
    So far we have two instructors that have taken a basic special needs coarse, and the first few phone enquirys. At present we are waiting to see who is interested then tailoring our training to meet those needs.
    One of the things I love about judo is its accesability. Any one can do judo, ANY ONE!
    Would love to get advice from you in the future
    :topic:
    I live in Ireland now, but went to school im Maidstone. Small World;)

6. mike.Budo

mike.Budo Valued Member

Greetings

Aye small world indeed :). Be happy to help if we can my friend. The head of the society Keith Mewes Renshi works at a special needs school so he is well equipped to meet the students needs.
    the best of luck in your quest :)