Special Constable application

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Tommy-2guns..., Mar 18, 2010.

1. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

Just thought id throw this into the ether. Im in the process of applying to become a special constable, i was just wondering if there were any on here who could give advice about their experiences either within the application process or being a special on the job.

The role looks interesting to me and giving 4-6 hours a week isnt much of an ask (he says until he gets stabbed for telling someone to pick up a dropped crisp packet!)

So any serving police officers or specials out there who would like to shoot some advice, encouragement, gratuitous discouragement or whatever they would like, please do so or drop me a message.

Cheers

Tommy

2. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

I'll never talk to you again! ;)

3. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

so... what the hell is a special constable? are you talking reserve officer, or guy who keeps an eye on the short bus, or elvis getting a badge?

4. Tommy-2guns...

Haha, oi! im a good man, dont you take out your years of police dislike on me when i come up to your class!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. Tommy-2guns...

Its an unpaid police reserve thing, basicially you have the same duties and powers as a policeman when on duty, doing minimum of 4 hours of police work a week.

6. d0ugbug

Course not mate! :)

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

ROTFLMAO!!!

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You must wear a full ninja suit to the interview, roll into the room, make some unconvincing passes with a childs plastic toy sword before sitting down and staring, unblinkingly at the chief interviewer for the duration, without uttering a word.

It's a strange interview process, but that's how it works, swear to God!

Mitch

9. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

LMAO at that !!

Well done Mitxh

Smurf

10. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

My honest opinion. Bad enough when you are getting paid for it. Good intentions are NOT armour against nutjobs.

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I would think, that if someone is looking to apply for this position, they would have checked upon it with real-live persons within the office or position, rather post here.

In other words, too many times a subject comes along which may not be suited for accurate responses.

Perhaps this subject or thread should have been posted on a law enforcement forum such as;

http://forums.officer.com/forums/

or better yet;

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/

12. d0ugbug

Most people on this forum tend to have a life / job out side of martial arts. And the fact its in "Off Topic" I can't really see the harm...

13. Tommy-2guns...

Well, contradictory to what you suggest ive had two useful people contact me already from this, so it hasnt proved fruitless. Of course ive looked elsewhere, but the greater the range of people the ask, the better and more varied the responses.

As for you Mitch, i'll trust you, because you seem like a reasonable man, after all, Ginger Ninja road safety talk at 12.15 would be an appealing prospect for Gwent police's P.R. :p, now i have to get me a ninja suit, would you suggest traditional black or 80's movie white or gold?

14. I think Tommy is perfectly justified in asking for advice here.
    It is in the off-topic section and there are alot of people on MAP with a great deal of experience and knowledge. I've been lucky enough to get very useful and informative advice from the guys here. Equally, if I was able to offer any decent advice to Tommy on this topic, I would be happy and eager to help him out.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You need to fit on the mean streets with all the playas and hos. Your ninja suit needs to be Leopard print with fur trim.

MItch

16. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

special constables

Hi Tommy,
    I think that applying for the role of Special Constable apart from being of benefit to the community allows you to get an idea what the job of a p.c is all about.It helps if you wish to pursue an active role as a full time [paid ]
    policeman.It helps on your C.V. if you decide to follow this course of action.
    Good luck with your plans, cheers, Joe.

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

True, but make sure you have a high viz jacket as well - just to keep the Health and Safety folk happy!

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

After you finish playing ninja in the interview, take off all your clothes and run around in a circle while punching yourself in the face.

Nothing makes an interviewer say yes quite like a naked nutter.

19. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

This is so true. It's how I got my job in child protection. They didn't even bother asking me about my CRB as they could tell I was the right dude for the job

20. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I am not saying that there was anything wrong with it, I am saying that before posting it here, other resources strongly pertaining to it would have been far better