Sparring Questions

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Fireblade, Nov 29, 2015.

?

Is the lead leg defensive side kick effective enough to protect you from round kicks?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Fireblade

Fireblade New Member

Hi

Being new to Taekwondo I am not sure what the more technical rules and tactics for sparring are, so I have a few questions:
    1) Are you allowed to use things like cartwheel kicks, butterfly kicks etc. that continue through the target, or must your kicks be snapped back?
    2) How effective is the tactic of standing in a side stance and using the side kick to keep someone at a distance whenever they charge in, trying to hit you with round kicks?
    3) Are you allowed to kick someone on the arms? In many TKD sparring videos the practitioners seem to be hitting each other on the arms and shoulders, and even hips or thighs with many consecutive (quite sloppy-looking) round kicks.
    4) Are you allowed to clear someone's guard with a kick, ex. hook their arms away with a hook kick, following up with a kick to the head?
    5) Would you be able to counter round kicks effectively using only front, side, back and hook kicks?

Thanks

2. liero

liero Valued Member

1. Technically, Yes. Though no part of your body other than your feet are allowed to touch the floor, or you will get a half point deduction. And you cannot push the opponent with your hands.
    2. Very, if your timing is good and you have a strong enough accurate enough side kick to keep them away.
    3. Hmm, yes. You can kick anywhere above the belt. Not the thighs intentionally. Hitting arms hard enough may weaken the opponent. But its also a waste of energy
    4. Hard to tell. Depends on the circumstances. and Ref. I'd err on no.
    5. Yes. Basics are fine. But you might need to combinate these kicks and develop footwork, guard and timing.

This is all for WTF TKD

3. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

From a Sport Karate Perspective (we have alot of TKD fighters that participate in NBL competitions. -Former Ref for junior black belt divisions until University.

1. I saw my fair share as well as recieved a bunch of these. Unsure of your federation's rulings on this but I've even seen a TKD fella throw a front flip axe kick. It was fun to watch.
    2. Yes, you have the reach, speed, and accuracy to hit him. Personally when I did this, I threw it at their hip, while I wouldn't necessarily get my point from this, I would follow up with a sliding/insane hop forward roundhouse kick to hit them wile they're off balance.
    3. I use to backleg roundhouse kick hte arms all the time, I might lose a point of two but I regained them quickly due to my opponent losing their guard. Watch our for the freak elbows though.
    4. I did this, but it depends on the ref. It's a rough move on your hips if you aren't as flexible or doing it suddenly because you think its a good idea.
    5. A spinning hook, and turn back kick may work best for this. They expose the least of you to the opponent or atleast giving them "no point" zones to hit. The basic front kick and side kick are going to be bread and butter, and you could even counter with a solid roundhouse kick if you're agile enough to react and still be faster.

4. liero

liero Valued Member

This is the number one, most important answer to the questions.

Take heed!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  5. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

During a black belt test, I was sparring (read: beating) a candidate, I was throwing hard, fast, back leg roundhouse kicks to the arms to break open their guard. All of a sudden, I hit an elbow. I could barely walk after I left the ring.
    Within about 10 minutes, I had a bruise the size of a regular size deodorant stick.

I had to march in a parade the next day for marching units.

6. Tkdfanman

Tkdfanman New Member

1) To me any strike that aims to be effective wants to carry through. Sparring is friendly though and that follow through is not. So we pull strikes at the last moment so not to really hurt each other.
    2)Its effective, but like anything else, the more times you use it consecutively especially to a neutral result, the less effective it will become. They should eventually start thinking a way around it
    3) People are trying to hit small moving and changing openings, the other person may actually be blocking an opening that was there.
    4) you could, but it seems like the long way.
    5) if the timing is right, i dont see why not, hook kicks havnt been my bread and butter, but im working on being better with them. as was mentioned above, side kicks and front kicks are great. Straight lines are fast also, especially good for when youre reacting.