SPARRING - GLOVES?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by SPIKE THE RAVEN, Apr 23, 2009.

1. SPIKE THE RAVEN

SPIKE THE RAVEN Valued Member

question - when sparring,what do you generally wear for gloves ? does anyone always spar with the regular mma gloves ? thanks in advance.

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Depends really- you can get the mma sparring gloves that have more padding on the knuckles or just the usual mma gloves. What level of sparring? If you are just starting off it may be an idea to get the slightly more padded type. Would check with your instructor.

3. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I'm about to buy some of those Sandee ones myself.

5. SPIKE THE RAVEN

thanks guys....we've got a bunch of young guys here always swinging for the fences ,wearing the regular mma gloves.....nothing wrong with a little blood but i worry about these kids getting concussions and broken beaks...oh well it's their choice,maybe after a while they'll calm down a tad ...

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I spar with 14oz boxing gloves, the gys who do proper sparring in the cage use fairtex sparring gloves. We've had guys start recently trying to use vale tudo and ufc gloves but since they don't actually pad blows they're not allowed

7. Kokoro-Dave

Kokoro-Dave Valued Member

Unless we are doing specific Boxing or Kickboxing sparring drills, when we wear boxing gloves, we spar with these

http://www.thewrestlingtalk.com/mma-gear/images/Black%20Rogue%20Competition%20Pro%20Series%20Gloves.jpg

SPIKE THE RAVEN just to comment on your post. It IS NOT! the choice of students how hard they go in sparring! It is the choice of the coaches. If they persist then they should have to spar one of the senior students/fighters next and be shown what real "hard" sparring is like. Well that's my opinion anyway. But students thinking that sparring = fighting just ****es me off.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  8. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I have a pair of the MMA sparring gloves that were required for seminars I've been to. And you're right. Sometimes people just swing for the fences with them. They can't seem to get it into their head this is just training and not a UFC match.

But I will say this for the gloves. They are comfortable and it is easy to grapple in them.

Whenever the coach said, "Okay go 60 percent..." I always played it real defensive just to make sure my partner wasn't a spaz first....

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

straight up 10-14oz boxing gloves and "common sense"

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I've got a question on that. Why spar with boxing gloves? I mean doesn't the size difference mean you could have a great guard but when you put on mma gloves they can go straight through the middle?

11. MPhelan

MPhelan Valued Member

The same argument applies to stand up training. If you train with 16 or 18 or 20 oz gloves then certainly more punches will get through when you put on competition 10 or 12 oz gloves (amateur, pro glove weights elude me now).

I think that usually it's a tradeoff worth making since MMA gloves, even sparring or shooto gloves, are way more liable to cause cuts, scratches, bruises, etc. than boxing gloves. Getting ready for a fight? Put on training MMA gloves. Training for recreation? Boxing gloves are fine most of the time.

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Off to buy some of the Sandee sparring gloves from Fightshop this very aft. It's fine doing stand up with 12oz gloves on but not possible to grapple in and I'm starting to put it all together now. Just need to remember that it's going to hurt more with smaller gloves and of course the guard won't be as "strong" without the big gloves, if you know what i mean.

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

If I ever end up in a MMA store, the first thing I think of is how much overtime I need to do to balance out my account.

I remember when I first started learning Vale Tudo in the early 90s, we didnt have MMA gloves back then (or at least not widely available) so we used to only train with headguards and handwraps....and to be very careful. :s

Its is a bit of a shock when you train with the MMA gloves coming off from boxing gloves. You realise a clinch is easier to be caught in and your guard lets more punches come through (esp hooks). Just got to remember that its the same for the opponent and to keep moving your head.

14. SPIKE THE RAVEN

to Kokoro Dave - i hear what you're saying and i agree ....and certainly sparring is not fighting,but some of these guys don't quite understand that yet...we do a fair amount of hard sparring and our head instructor is happy to let willing "combatants" that are fairly evenly matched go pretty much all-out...myself , i think they should be wearing at the least the mma sparring gloves,and that is why i posted this question ...i have mentioned a few times in class that i don't think most people hard-spar with the regular mma gloves,for what seem to me to be obvious reasons ...i think some of these young guys are afraid of looking like wimps or whatever,and don't take my hint ...if it was my class i think i'd say sparring gloves or light head contact only,take your pick ....

15. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

The biggest problem I have with wearing mma gloves is poking people in the eye and mouth. I'm used to wearing boxing gloves so sometimes I forget to close up my hand properly.

16. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

We do lightish sparring with MMA sparring gloves and harder sparring with 14-16oz boxing glvoes.

Personally I think regular MMA gloves should only be used for drills/very light sparring. It very easy to KO somone, break a nose or open a bad cut with them.

17. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Got some of the sandee sparring gloves (from Fightshop and went when Bisping wasn't there :( ) , the quality is excellent and they are pretty comfy too. All my stuff is sandee as it is quality.