Sparring Armor...whats good, how much, etc...

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Killbot, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

Hello,

Looked through some old threads but couldn't find anything directly related...

My instructor and I have been going around on ideas of what kind of sparring protection equipment might be good.

We have come up with everything from a set of more combat heavy types of sets, like baseball leg guards, riot helmets, JKD gloves, and BP vests with trauma plate inserts...these sets, after everything, are expensive...but they should be able to withstand impact up to a lead pipe or more. Mobility actually suffers little.

On the lighter side, I suggested that we use sets of soccer shinguards for the shins, thighs, forearms and upper arms, with a good lacrosse helmet and some sort of chest\spine\kidney protection. The key here is to use very light plastic pipe wrapped in foam as weapons instead of ratan sticks. This is extremely cheap compared to the above "riot gear." Mobility suffers none at all.

ANy suggestions or ideas? What kind of stuff do you use? Anything we shouldn't use?

Thanks for minute of consideration. :)

2. Taliesin

Taliesin Valued Member

Why don't you just use the WEKAF gear, supplemented with shinguards and the like as you see fit?

Alternatively, just pad the stick (pipe insulation does the trick) and wear a fencing mask and some street hockey gloves. If a padded stick is still too heavy for your taste, try a section of 15mm plastic water pipe wrapped in pipe insulation and gaffer tape.

3. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

I keep seeing WEKAF mentioned. Where would I find such equipment for sale?

Their website is under construction.

The sticks are a good idea. Sounds like what i had in mind.

Thanks

4. Utotin

Utotin Valued Member

I do not take arnis but I do have a pair of arnis to mess around with my nephew. I have started using my Kendo gloves (kote). As I do not really train in arnis they suit my needs just fine but I have always wondered if they would be suitable for someone who really trains? The do provide plenty excellent hand and wrist protection, but I have never seen anyone use them for arnis. Just curious. Thanks!

5. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Whatever works for you is fine, so it's been said. People have personal preferences, so different strokes for different folks.

Some use ice hockey gloves, but they tend to be cumbersome and offer a pretty big target for your opponent to hit repeatedly.

I don't know of any who use kote (until now!), but I'm a bit weary of their flexibility because they're not really intended for single-handed twirling that requires maximum wrist flexion.

Some use lacrosse gloves, which seem to be a bit better because they're not too large and they provide good protection.

Some don't use any hand protection at all. Hardcore, but disabled for a few days/weeks if hit.

6. Juego Todo

Try a search engine, inputting WEKAF equipment as search criteria. You should be able to find a few vendors. However, one of our esteemed MAP members (specifically in the FMA community) has her own FMA supply company.

Lucy O'Malley (Guro Pat's better-looking half...please don't hurt me for saying that, Pat...you know it's true!!! ;) ) and her company can be reached via this link:

http://www.eskrimador-supplies.com/

She should have everything that you'd require. If she doesn't have it, then you don't need it!

Good luck in your training :)

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Definately visit Lucys site. She's got a lot of great kit there and she's always got a bargin going :)

8. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I posted a review of all the equipment we tried at our school for both sword and stick sparring, including what did and did not work. Hope this helps:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38618

9. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

:) Very much help. Thanks, just the kind of breakdown I was interested in.

Rock on!

10. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Now why would I do that, I know it's true and if I said otherwise she would kill me:eek: , take it from me, don't make her angry, you would not like her if she was angry. But saying that I am pretty sure you have been put in her good books you lucky man.;)
    Anyway I would say for the type of sparring our questionaire is looking to do I would also opt for the WEKAF gear, there are suppliers obviously her ein the UK, but also in the US and other parts of the world too. It is the most popular Arnis / Eskrima sparring gear out there.

But beware I have found some reacently that have been made cheaper and they protect nothing, like the fake version jackets they are more like wearing a sweat shirt, you may as well go old school. Make sure you get a reputable supplier for your gear.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  11. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

Thanks Mr O'Malley.

It really didin't cross my mind you could get "bunk gear."

I'll double check the merchandise and the suppliers reputation.

I'll also make an effort to check out Mrs. OMalley's website. :D

12. Pat OMalley

Please call me Pat, every one else does including Lucy:D ,

Where are you based, if it somewhere like th USA maybe I can let you know some good suppliers there.

Best regards

Pat

I will post a picture in a few minutes once I have scanned to show you what happens when you get "bunk gear"

13. Pat OMalley

Bunk Armour

Here you go, a pic of a person who bought "Bunk Armour" as you put it, the problem is you think the armour will protect you and you become too complacent and rely on it to do it's job, which it does if you buy the right gear.

[​IMG]

:eek: :cry: :eek: :cry: :eek: :cry: :eek: :cry: :eek: :cry: :eek: :cry: :eek: :cry: :eek: :cry: :eek: :cry:

Attached Files:

14. Juego Todo

Mmm...what a delicious pic.

I like my rack of ribs basted with a tangy mix of BBQ sauce & beer, served with mashed potatoes, gravy & some veggies...

Oops, my bad...me thunks 'twas the BBQ Grill Cooking thread :eek:

15. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

Well, thank you, Pat.
    My real name is Joshua.
    Nice to meet ya.

I'm in northern West Virgina. Really close to Pittsburgh, PA. But I'll order stuff from about anywhere.

So what's this "Rapid Arnis"? I've never heard anything about it. I read a post about your guy's 12 strikes pattern. Seems more blade oriented.But thats all I really know.
    (Duurrrr...guess I could just click the link you have.... :eek:)

And...SWEET *******!!! :eek: !!! those are some pretty bruises.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  16. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

looks like the guy was run over by a truck more than stick battle scars.

17. Pat OMalley

Well what happened, the guy thought he would by a cheeper made version of the real thing thinking it would do the same as the how shall we say..... Pucker ... version, he relied on the armour too much which is a mistake even with the real thing and ouch.... there you go.

Best regards

Pat

18. reydominguez

reydominguez Valued Member

1.3 Inviting outside Contact:
    "Inviting" is termed as a post where you invite other members to contact you to find out more information, rather than post it in the forum. This is not allowed and any posts with emails or invitations to contact for more information will either be edited or deleted entirely.

1.4 Posting Personal Contact Information (Address/ Phone Number):
    Members may not post personal contact information such as home address, work address, home telephone number, work telephone number, email address etc., in the public forums.
    1.4.1 ANYONE, including guests to MAP, can read the public forums - this policy is in place for YOUR safety and protection.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005