Sparring and Taijutsu:

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by zenpokaiten, Feb 21, 2006.

1. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Think Kurai Dori Duncan

2. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Hi

I think I'm hitting a wall on this one...

PRs points all resonate:
    1. The circling around thing, is in my mind a trade off between distance from the right hand and allowing him the option to counter by over rotating. It's definitely one to watch and I think I'm being over cautious in regard to his attacking hand. In my experience his rotation is quite easy to deal with especially if his arm is extended, but I think it's a good point
    2. My high elbow creates a gap in your ribs and the option to counter by pushing the elbow up. I can't get a resisted lock on without compromising this position with the elbow, but am going to work on this to see if I can find a way under resistance
    3. I'm being a muppet here - I should be either pushing his wrist or elbow across or releasing his grip
    4. I do tend to lean over a bit too much (bad habit I'm always working on)
    5. I need to get things working in unison under pressure - more practice needed

It's the point about the initial position that I'm missing. The distance for a kick to the front leg or groin is reasonably far and easy to cope with. I find if I pull the front foot in closer to his foot for greater protection then I lose the power in the first step (& get pulled in) & the leverage on the lock, also the back is exposed a bit (trade off again)

I'm trying to take these kind of foot positions. Under pressure I find the positions deteriorate a bit for sure, but I think I'm missing something that you guys can see. Help please?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  3. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

You want a foot position that you are stable, balanced, safe, and able to attack/defend from while his ability to do so is hampered to some extent. Changing what you do with your upper body will change your footwork requirements and vice versa. If you started over from scratch and did the things that were suggested, his ability to kick would change, his position would change(due to not dragging him around), and your footwork would potentially change. It seems in your videos that you are kind of running away from his rear hand like you mentioned. In doing so, it is affecting your posture and footwork. Change that(also taking slightly smaller steps) and the footwork flaws might disappear but if nothing more might become more obvious to you.

Regarding the pictures of your position you posted, neither look great but the second one appears more open. Camera angle could be a factor so you might want to film it from different angles but in the second picture, you are definitely wide open for a groin shot. The position of your front foot and knee determine how safe you are and also what likely counters he can try and whether or not you can easily deal with them.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  4. Dunc

Maybe I'm relying too much on the distance and the impact on his head....

Time to get paranoid about the back hand AND the balls :)

We'll add in groin kicks to the exercise and see how it evolves

Thanks for the feedback

5. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

dunc,

From the stills from the kihon vid, it is hard to tell if they already are completely controlling uke balance and so the ability to attack the groin....maybe. Soke's pic there is possibly different again IMO as it could be that he is tempting the kick in, maybe in a sakanagare(?) or koku or hanetsurube-esque manner.

In your pics, it looks like uke is free so do you just need to move the lead legs back onto (or closer to) the line of uke feet to close of the little bells?

EDIT: Having looked at your pics again on a bigger screen, uke does appear to be controlled onto his forward foot, which does reduce the immediate danger somewhat. The foot alignment onto his line might still be worth a go, if just by adding to uke balance problems and ability to move.

Just ideas, I'm no expert :)

6. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I’m still on the way outtie people. I just need to add a few members off-site I consider friends when time permits and make one final thread before I retire this account.

My offense was mostly centered around the culture of MAP where disseminating information to new ninjutsu students is entirely pointless in ze glorious troll hole that is the subforum here. We all make comments in frustration that are insensitive in retrospect, and I am far from an exception of that. I wish you the best on your martial journey.

You just found a bad school man, nothing more. Tried every way I could think of tell you that. The old unarmed tactics instructor that was teaching us ninjutsu that I’m presently being trolled about was a first-tier private military operator (99.99% of MAP doesn’t even know what that means, but watch Proof of Life if you want Hollywood’s take) who had maimed, interrogated, and I strongly suspect (I felt it was rude to ask) killed with his ninjutsu for work. He was a lead instructor for unarmed combat to special operations for many years during his time as a Ranger. If you listen to the echo in our dirty cave though, he was just “naturally” talented and could have done equally well in every martial art on the planet. *shrug* A solid half of the active users under this cyber bridge have never stepped foot inside a ninjutsu school. Others, like yourself, have experienced a single school or student and decided to take up their cudgels in their crusade to save us silly LARPers from ourselves and the world. On the Internet, I strongly doubt there is a single martial art more shiny and mesmerizing to troll eyesight, so unless you verify what you read in-person, I enthusiastically recommend you investigate ninjutsu statements in-person. And contrary to all the crap you might read about it, it doesn’t require a trip to Japan.

Anyway, you have the information I provided if you want a cluster of legit ninjutsu schools that are driving distance for you. (The one I most highly recommended to suit the tastes you described is where that old special operations teacher I mentioned studied.) Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  7. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thanks John for the thoughts and advice. I wish you well on your travels sir.

8. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Shame to see another good man go. Hope it's not completly due to some skinny kid, who's life experiance so far probably amounts to zilch.
    Good luck in whatever you do John. I have met a few millitary types in my stint in the buj, one guy in our dojo was a high ranking officer In the Australian airborne forces and also passed sas selection. IMHO if he could see value in the training, similar to yourself perhaps, then that's a credit to the art.

9. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I was never military man. Just a peripheral CPO and training to be a PMC before the market got flooded, I developed a serious injury that required two surgeries, and I got semi-domesticated. Now I barely pee on furniture. *proud*

And it's not just the Kave-Fusen troll tag team I'm leaving over. It's the culture of MAP and it's use of this sub-forum to get it's jollies when people are trying to give legitimate advice to newbs. As busy as I am these days, the ninja kiddies were my only reason for remaining. The zero-tolerance-for-trolling-in-name-only policy we have prevents the unfavored from attempting to be clever in response to all the non-ninjers antics here too. Without our mean words we're reduced to a circle of sad LARPing mimes. *tear pantomime*

I'll leave some means to contact me off-site through what will hopefully be life-long friends I've made on MAP though. Especially Ero-Sennin. Just shine a spotlight into the sky on a dark knight in the shape of Crisco and he'll know to summon me. Or flood his inbox with images of pink ponies.

#bronies4life

Attached Files:

10. hatsie

It's great to know the weak and fearful can sleep safe at night, although they can't see him, they can know he watches always. The 'gambit' :D

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

They better know the password when they come knocking, or at least have a fresh tub of Crisco as tribute. :cool:

:p

12. Dunc

I'll miss your contributions - hopefully we can meet sometime

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Giving advice that is based on extensive experience of the topic in hand is not trolling.

Sad to see anyone leave, but if you cant stand rational discussion with opposing viewpoints maybe its for the best.

14. Dead_pool

As you say its the non ninjers who are the trolls?

15. Dead_pool

You do know it wasnt the instructor, that was being questioned, it was your own personal viewpoint of it.

But your right, personal experience is the most important thing, which is why its ok to disagree online. Good luck for the future.

16. Dunc

Similar to the ura gyaku exercise, here's a few short clips of a similar one for omote gyaku (I know it's not sparring, but hey I thought I'd share)

Based on your feedback we've incorporated kicks into the attacks (which slightly surprisingly kinda helped tori)

The defender can only lightly block (no daken or counter strikes) and only apply omote gyaku sufficiently to control/unbalance them (no cranking it on)
    The attacker grabs, then punches and kicks freely. They can resist the omote gyaku

Initially with a t-shirt, but it was quite easy to get the lock on so we put on a jacket (apologies to any traditionalists for my terribly rude way of wearing it)

Enjoy and all comments gratefully received
    https://vimeo.com/93576148

Oh and I know I screwed up the last one and got lucky :)

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  17. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

dunc I liked that video sir. If I may ask, how were they resisting the omoto gyaku? For some reason It isn't readily apparent to my eyes. Did he just stiff arm or did he try to pull or yank it back?

18. Dunc

Nah the exercise is only resisting the rotation and grip release

Idea being to continue to attack until taken down, rather than resetting

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  19. hatsie

Thanks dunc nice clip. Do you find the takeori easier to apply in these situations? Or is it just however it ends up?
    ( did I answer my own question ?:D)

20. Dunc

Yes take ori works quite well when the grip is difficult to remove I find

In my experience omote gyaku works well as an early response to a grab or as he's in the action of attacking from the opposite side. It's really difficult to remove the grip if you mistime it. Which, I think, is why in many kata omote gyaku is part of a broader throw or take down rather than the take down itself

Having said that when wearing a loose jacket or shirt removing the grips not really necessary to get the movement in the wrist, so it depends on the clothing and place where he grabs