Sparring A Girl

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by paulbrec, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulbrec

paulbrec Valued Member

It is not blind obedience. I happen to be really good friends with the coach. He used to be a professional boxer on the 80's and 90's. One of his opponents was Hector Camacho.
    Coach makes suggestions on what I should do to reach my goal, and I listen. I think he knows what he is doing. He is the best coach I have even had. I have nothing but praise for him. I always recommend him. He runs a non-profit gym, which means that his number one goal is to teach. Believe me, I have had a lot of crappy money-hungry "I don't care" "coaches". I have finally found one who cares about his athletes and not about the Almighty Dollar.
    So, yes, to sum up, I do obey him, simply because he is good at what he does.

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

See, I'm confused. In one thread you're saying stuff like this, and that you'd fight a gorilla if he told you to - and in another you're laughing about how you use the treadmill instead of skipping when he's not looking.

I really don't care about your relationship with your coach in the slightest. The only bit that annoys me is your disrespectful attitude to women in your training - and you have at no point apologised for this, or made any suggestion that you'd even consider dragging your viewpoing out of the dark ages and into modern day.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Don't sound like an "athlete" to me. sounds like somebody with weak knees and an inability to treat others equally.

4. paulbrec

paulbrec Valued Member

Now, there is a real mature response.

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

IMHO, I fault you for being incredibly short sighted.

When you are training, you don't have friends. Your sparring partners are all your enemy. After training, sure, go out for pizza and wine and be best buddies, but not in training. What you do in training is what you will do in the ring. This is why it is important to treat all in training as your enemy and them to do the same with you.

If you question something like who to spar, is this how you act in the ring? Do you hesitate when your corner is telling you to do a combination or maybe you just don't listen to them because you have your mind already set on something else. You got some chip on your shoulder and I bet it shows in the ring too.

IMHO, what is a big difference between amateur fighters and pro fighters (or potentially pro fighters/amateurs with a lot of fights)? When you get someone without a whole lot of experience as your opponent, you can be really good at one thing and do that same thing over and over again and they will keep falling for it. However, with a professional, you might get them to fall for something once, maybe twice, but they will figure a way around it very quickly and take it away from you. So with a professional, you need to be really good at more than one thing... two, three, four, maybe more things to be really good at. Keep them guessing and when they don't know what is coming, hit them with the first or the second or whatever.

It is, IME, incredibly short sighted not to take advantage of sparring partners, particularly beginners. You absolutely should want to make your sparring partners as good as possible. Train them to be really good at something. Train them to find a way to counter what you are really good at. When they do counter what you are really good at, then this forces you to get better and to get better at other things.

I don't suppose you really want to end up being called a "one trick pony" just because you were too short sighted to work with others to better them so they can force you to be better. Or maybe you do because you said you won't change. :bang:

And good luck all alone in the ring. I'll be with your corner at the pub having a round because obviously you don't need them either when you fight. :evil:

6. paulbrec

paulbrec Valued Member

Thank you for a thoughtful response. You are right.
    I do my best to help my team. I don't let my feelings get in the way. All I mean, is that there are things I would rather not do as part of training. That is true with all athletes. That is not evil. We don't have to like all aspects of training, but we have to abide by them in order to be successful.
    I have been over this earlier. I always listen to the coach's suggestions, even if it is something I don't like doing.

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

It not as simple as things you rather would not do in training, IMHO. I really depends on what it is you rather not do. In this case it is specifically sparring a woman who is a beginner.

This could be a freaking big deal if you want to be a fighter.

I fought a young man around 2005 under Thai boxing rules. I think he was around 18 at the time. I nailed him good in the first round, saw the blood leave his face. I looked at him, he looked like a helpless child to me and I could not pull the trigger and finish him (knock him out). I hesitated. I was used to older men, sure their faces turned pale when I got them good, same thing but never hesitated, in fact that's when I knew I had them.

What I had is called an internal conflict. My mind, body, spirit did not agree on what to do, so I hesitated. I had to come to terms in the months to come that I didn't have a true killer instinct, that deep down I was a nice guy. So I fake it, I learned to make everyone the enemy, they aren't people, just a target, a blip on the radar.

There are limits, sparring partners aren't out to kill each other, but at the same time, we aren't made of glass either.

I also learned that I have to do what I feel is the right thing to do. So I feel it is the right thing to help sparring partners get better so that they can challenge me to get better.

After training, well then we shake hands and are friends again.

Anyway, internal conflict is a big deal.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  8. masterPain

masterPain Valued Member

Considering the level of contempt you've shown for half the world's population in the OP, what do you expect?

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Call it like I see it. :cool:

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Question. If your opinion was never going to change why did you bother starting a thread about it?

As for people overreacting you're a sexist. By your own admission you're discriminating against people for no other reason than an accident of birth. This is no different to if you'd come here saying you didn't like sparring black people. The fact you don't think your views are sexist or discriminatory on that level does nothing to change the fact that they are. Sadly sexism in things like women and violence is just currently more socially acceptable than racism but that also doesn't mean you're anything but wrong.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  11. righty

righty Valued Member

Yeah lefty!

A while back I made a comment about understanding a man's position in society concerning women and martial arts, go back and read it. To paraphrase I said I could understand the opinion but that it was no excuse not to change it to something that isn't plainly sexist after a bit of training.

So the OP has stated straight out he is not going to change his views. Sorry, but you've just lost all respect from me. But hell, you don't respect women so it's a two way street.

LilBunnyRabbit has put out pretty much everything I could want to say, so I'll just say for the record my support is behind those statements.

12. Southpaw535

I remember it I think, go back and look for it in a sec. With all the crap society puts out about how women and violence should never mix I'm the same as you, I can appreciate someone feeling awkward when they first start. An outright refusal to stop being a misogynistic twit however is pretty low.

13. righty

righty Valued Member

There we go, beat ya. It's for everyone really.

14. paulbrec

paulbrec Valued Member

North Korea and China are good places for attitudes like these.

15. Southpaw535

Iran's a pretty good place for opinions like yours

16. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

righty and lefty double-team, GO!

17. paulbrec

paulbrec Valued Member

It is very clear that some people are not reading posts properly, or at all.
    Quite honestly, I am not going to repeat any posts.
    I suggest reading every post in detail before making any idiotic comments.

18. Southpaw535

Ok I will actually go back through the thread and read all your posts to see if any of my replies have been grossly exaggerated, but before I do that I just want to ask what you expected to happen when you wrote the OP for this thread? You must have expected some kind of backlash for it and opening it up for discussion and then getting worked up because we haven't all jumped over each other to agree with you just feels a bit pointless. Especially now you've said you have no intention of changing your mind. Other than making yourself feel better through us all patting you on the back and admitting that, deep down, we all wish women would just stick with their boxercise classes (hyperbole I know, sorry, I like it) what did you want to happen?

Leave aside everything I've said to you in this thread and take any anger I may have caused you and just answer that for me please.

19. paulbrec

paulbrec Valued Member

I said from the original post, that I don't like hitting females, because we all know that is wrong, and also that we should go a bit easier on beginners because going to hard on them may turn them off from the sport.
    I have an opinion which i am allowed to have, and I should not need to apologize for it.
    I also mentioned that I would train with anyone the coach finds, because he knows what he is doing.
    I did agree that personal opinions should not matter during training, and that we should all help each other.
    I don't know what else to do. To me it is not that big of a deal. The original idea was just for a light discussion on women in combative sports, and how to deal with beginners. Big deal.

20. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

If you mean we as in everyone currently participating in this thread, you're mistaken. A good chunk of us have provided why we believe your "belief" is seriously flawed and harmful. Add that with a dropkick from LilBunny and I can respectfully ay that the majority of MAP members disagree with your opinion concerning woman and hitting them.

Fair enough

Yes, you allowed to have an opinion, but in this case your opinion is harmful and flawed, which no one appreciates. At all.

Fair enough again, but I'm sensing a lack of critical thinking when it comes to listening to your coach.

Yes.

No, you made several uneducated sexist remarks that are outdated. You are also increasingly displaying a lack of critical thinking. Sure, you can trust a person, but trust comes with skepticism and critical thinking. Without it, it's blind faith.

For example:
    To be honest, my final words is to see this world with a more open mind, and don't stay closed off with narrow, outdated, harmful opinions and delusions of honor. Your missing a lot of what the world has to offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.