sp jab/hook question

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by shs111, Mar 25, 2013.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I don't understand the question.

2. sampla

sampla Valued Member

a combo a jab, followed by the straight

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That still marks no sense - you really have to stop posting these silly one sentence responses. Try articulating your point and you will get answers; the alternative is you get ignored...at best

4. holyheadjch

Ok, so if you're asking about using a jab in the middle of a combination against an opponent in opposite stance - that's fine, so long as you are wary of the rear hand counter. In fact, you can jab to your heart's content and only have to worry about the read hand (unless you're fighting Pacquiao) , which is harder to disguise.

5. sampla

sampla Valued Member

a jab, rare straight to the head combo

6. holyheadjch

you mean a jab cross combo? A 1-2?

Against a good southpaw, you'll be dealing with their cross before you've had a chance to throw yours.

7. sampla

sampla Valued Member

ma 1/2 is fast

I also seen some pro fights, 1/2 was like the most domination of a regular fighter on a southpaw

while a southpaw never used 1/2, which why he lost

8. holyheadjch

A southpaw's 2 is going to be faster than an equivalent orthodox 1-2.

Can you point me to a video of a fight between comparable fighters where a southpaw was dominated by an orthodox fighter using a 1-2 combination?

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a bit of a unique situation at the gym I go to because we have a couple of south paws. I've found that if I am physically superior to somebody, meaning I'm faster, stronger, and in better shape, as well as being more technically sound, then I can use the 1/2 all day long and have great results. If I'm sparring somebody who is on the same level or better, it doesn't work as great and I end up getting countered a lot.

I've actually been working with a south paw in the gym lately and have probably logged about 15 rounds of light/medium sparring with him this past week. One thing I've really stressed to him is to start using his cross (left straight) to replace his jab. When he's thinking about it and starts doing it, the way I have to fight tactically changes dramatically.

Holyheadache brought up a great point in saying orthodox fighters train the hell out of the jab. I know I do, and it's something I also stress whenever helping out another orthodox fighter. Lately, I've also been training my cross nearly the same way I train the jab (throwing consecutive crosses, head to body/body to head, pop and move, etc.). An orthodox fighter has the same "advantage" over a southpaw with using his cross for more opportunities, but a southpaw is more likely to have trained his cross for fighting orthodox fighters.

Another big thing to be aware of is the footwork, because that's really what makes the cross so effective in a southpaw/orthodox match up. Whomever has their lead food on the outside of the other person's lead food is at a positional advantage. The person with their lead foot on the inside can't get good leverage for any punch and has to reposition, leaving them available to hit without serious threat for a moment. From here, the 1/2 can be very effective for either the southpaw or the orthodox fighter.

I'm willing to bet you that if you watch the fight you're describing of an orthodox fighter using the 1/2 effectively, you'll also find that he consistently had his lead foot on the outside of the southpaws lead foot. Would love it if you could find the video and post it.

10. holyheadjch

He should really know that. Although a big problem we lefties have, is that our coaches are orthodox, so we don't always get southpaw specific coaching.
    Getting outside the lead foot is everything! Although sometimes you get an orthodox fighter who gets his foot on the outside and thinks that's enough, then the southpaw pushes their rear foot up, pivots and they suddenly have the angle for a big left down the pipe.

Because we train that footwork as much as orthodox fighters train their jab. Southpaw boxing is all about the footwork (and the left cross). We gotz t3h anglez.

11. Ero-Sennin

And I just learned a new footwork for fighting southpaws :D

12. sampla

sampla Valued Member

what about the southpaw rare hook, rare uppercut, liver attacks

13. holyheadjch

If you keep your foot on the outside, it is difficult for the southpaw to get the angle for a hook to the liver.

14. sampla

sampla Valued Member

are you talking from the perspective of the southpaw or either

15. Ero-Sennin

The perspective is the same by both the orthodox fighter and the southpaw. The difference is literally that there are more orthodox fighters, meaning they train their tactical game for fighting orthodox fighters more. Southpaws are less common, so they have an advantage because the tactical approach to fight them is different for an orthodox fighter, but the southpaw has most likely trained tactically for fighting orthodox fighters from day 1 of learning how to box. It's familiarity that is the advantage, not some mystical power those who are left hand dominate possess.

I'm not trying to blast you or anything, but you're spelling "rear" as "rare" which makes it a bit "um, what?" when reading your posts : P.

16. sampla

sampla Valued Member

ma foot, like if I fight a southpaw, is it

by the way, yea, perhaps you don't understand because I wrote rear as rare

:D

17. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

Assuming you're using the left jab, as you jab step off to your right. Then your oppopnents counter right will find empty air. it works for me.

18. holyheadjch

But why? Your jab is rarely going to land against an opponent with an opposite stance and you're effectively trading jabs for crosses - if you get caught once you're on the canvas.

19. holyheadjch

whenever you fight someone with an opposite stance.

20. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

Like i said, its to make a counter right miss. I have landed the jab and dodged a right hand counter that way. Remember to keep your right guard up when you jab, i learned my lesson about that.