South Paw?!

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by JKN-Taylor, Oct 27, 2005.

1. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

OK, I was reading KSWs mini book on Sword Techniques KSW handbook #4 And found in the section discussing the history of etiquette, a mention of right handed swordsmen carrying their sword in their left hand (as we all do, "three fingers down"), then in parenthesis it said "(the sword is carried in the right hand for left handed students)"...

Have I been training on my bad arm, for two years, for no reason?! :confused:

I'm sure I've benefited tremendously by learning on my less coordinated arm, as someone said in another post, it's turning me somewhat ambidextrous.

I really want to know if I can start training with my left arm in stead (I really think It'll help me out come tournament time)

does anyone know? I guess I'll have to ask one of the KJN next time I see them.

2. Pyro

Pyro New Member

It said CARRIED by the non-dominant arm, not used to fight with.

3. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

I know, but do you think that means I draw with my dominant arm, or just switch hands before I fight/technique/hyung and draw with my right(weaker) arm?

I've been training with my right, but my dominant arm is left... see what I'm trying to figure out?

4. Pyro

Pyro New Member

You draw with the dominant arm. Learning both isn't a bad idea though.

5. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I think it sounds very strange to draw with the dominant arm and then switch hands. I can't think of a situation where that makes sense. The only reason I can see switching hands is if your sword arm got cut.

6. ember

ember Valued Member

I'm a southpaw too. Last fall I was pretty good at practicing my weapons on the "off-days" from regular training, after my classes had finished.

At home, on my own, I worked on the sword meditations with both hands. First the right, the way they teach it, then left-handed (more natural to me).

Considering that eventually we'll get to double-sword forms, I don't see any reason not to train the left side as well.

You're a JKN, surely you've practiced your empty-hand forms left-side?

And did you see the promotion demo last November? As I recall, it had people doing forms on each side, with those on left doing them left-side, and those on right doing them "regular". I seem to remember that going for the sword form in the back as well.

7. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

yeah, I talked to PSBN David this saturday. He basically said I would be at an advantage later on if I kept training on my right arm in class and both arms out of class.

8. ksn-joe

ksn-joe Valued Member

it is always good to practice on both sides whether it is forms , weapons or empty hand techniques it will give you better balance and more options in a self-defence situation along with an element of surprise.

9. ember

ember Valued Member

All right, I'm resurrecting a thread that died a year ago. Any other southpaws out there? How has it helped / not helped?

10. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Leftys will be guided toward using the right hand for the sake of compliance in class.
    Imagine teaching a group of 12 people and 1 or 2 of them are using the left. From the teachers perspective, it is a major hassle, particularly where there is limited space. The whole class will be constantly shifting to adjust positions to prevent accidents.
    There is no technical reason for someone to NOT use the left. But the general, unwritten rule is that everyone is a right handed swordsman at the fundamental level.

The real question is, if a lefty is permitted to use the sword left handed, where does it end? What's next, techniques, bong, hyung? I have nothing against it personally, but from the classroom management perspective, it is a can of worms. I know it seems a little unfair, but when people begin sword training they typically are not very skilled, regardless of the dominant side. So, since it is virtually all a learned skill, it shouldn't make much difference.

I think right side should be required initially, and the left side should be required for instructor certification so you can "mirror " the class while you teach them, that way you don't have to turn your back on the student.

Usually when an instructor gets to that point they are close to preparing for jang ssang gum (double long sword skills) anyway, so this really helps prepare them and they are able to sort of "train while they teach".

11. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Also How would the instructors know you were left handed, you expect all the instructors at your school to remember your name AND hand orientation, or you what ppl to start wearing "Im a lefty" or "righty" badges on their uniforms. It is up to you to pratice and familarize yourself with the opposite side,whether it be left or right handed, not your instructors job to both know that you are left handed, AND to teach you the opposite side.

12. Ferran

Ferran Valued Member

I'd say it's not important to be able to duplicate your movements like a mirror. It's important to be able to use your left hand, but not necessarily with the same exact movements. If what's natural with your strong hand is an inner deflection but you're more confortable with an outer one with your 'weak' hand, by all means, don't punish yourself. Practice basic moves with it, and practice ways to use what you know. But also, practice how to swap hands: if something comes to your weak, you should be able to answer, but maybe the answer is passing the trouble to your strong. After all, we did agree in another topic that 'techniques' were not some sort of quick self-defence pills, didn't we?

On a similar note: there's an article in March'99 Black Belt with B. Harmon (J. Hallander writing; you can find it in the KSWA site) performing sword basics with his left hand, sheath mostly on his right side. Basically: how come?

13. KSW88

KSW88 Valued Member

KJN Harmon himself is a south paw.

14. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

KJN Harmon has a permanent injury to his right wrist that prevents him from using full weight swords on that side. this is why you ALWAYS see him receiving ee in jap sool from KSN's right side (grabbing with the left hand)
    and it is also why you will only see him do cutting using the left as dominant. He fully understand the dominant/non dominant arguement.

And he still insists everone train RIGHT handed, like he does!

I think his injury occured when he was a 3rd dan and he had to relearn EVERYTHING sword (his favorite) left handed. So leftys,,, on this issue you will probably not gain much ground.

Bottom line ................every one in WKSA is a right handed swordman. Period!!!!

15. ember

ember Valued Member

If you would please re-read all ~7 posts, and pay attention to the DATES.

The reason hwarang_cl didn't know I was left-handed after three and a half years of training is because I do not make a big deal about it in training. Everything's done right-side first, so be it.

If we lefty's want to train our left-hands AT HOME away from the dojang, that's OUR business.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  16. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I am left handed. The only weapons I do left handed are archery and knife throwing. The other ones don't even seem to make much of a difference. The sword feels just as strong in the right as it does in the left. Even things that require more finger dexterity like the fan don't really bother me. Left and right sided techniques are the same.

I think this comes from the fact that we live in a right handed world. When I was a kid all they had was right handed scissors in school. I do alot of woodworking and all woodworking power tools are safer to use right handed. I even learned guitar right handed because the choice of left handed ones was so limited.

17. ember

ember Valued Member

At the dojang, I usually do the same. Jool bong we'll often do both sides. Sword meditations... sometimes if I get tired and/or my hand starts cramping, I'll switch over. Usually not.

But I've watched the KSNs do jung gum hyung left-side, and I know we do empty-hand forms left-side at the black belt level. Do you train that way, or not? If you do, do you find that being left-handed helps with left-side forms and techniques?

I had one test where I accidentally told my partner to grab my left hand for sohn pae gi, and did all five that side. I didn't realize what I was doing until we moved on to ki bohn soo... I looked around and realized that everyone else had been using the other hand.

It seems like most of what we do are gross motor movements, and it really doesn't matter too much.

Well, and there's that too :) . Every lefty ends up doing some things right-handed. I chop vegetables right handed, and use scissors that way too.

18. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

If I think that practicing the left side has practical value, then I do it. I do Jung Gum and Yuhk Gum with the left hand. It was very easy for me to switch. Jool Bong spins I do on both sides but not the single Jool Bong form. Staff spinning is right and left so no issue there. I don't do any of the staff forms left side. Any form with two weapons, I never change sides.

I don't practice any of the empty hand forms left side but I do pick out the hard parts, usually kicks, and practice sets of 10 on both sides. I do this to prevent myself from getting too lopsided.

Changing technique sides has never been a problem for me. My guess is that being a lefty helped on this.

19. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I'm a righty, and when we do the opposite side on our forms and weapons, it seems that the left side is 1) easier for me and 2) flows better. Maybe i was born left handed and society forced me to learn righty IDK. But a lil off topic here i play bass guitar left handed, but play everything else righty. Wierd huh ?

20. ember

ember Valued Member

Makes sense to me. I've tried jung gum hyung left-side once. I had to refresh my memory with the meditations first, but then it seemed easy.

Dahn bong I'll do both sides, but doesn't the form go through both sides anyway?

Joong bong I haven't worried about. HOWEVER, on joong bong il hyung, I have a tendency to let my right arm do all the work, while the left is mostly along for the ride. I might try doing it opposite side a time or two, to see if I can fix that.

Thanks.