Some Sparring

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Great pad holders make great strikers.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Someone fixed the camera:

Edit. Chadders' friend apologises for the bad language I'm sure.

If not Chadderz will be expected to punch him in the face next time they meet.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIo1lPsDwIE"]Tom danny horizontal - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Focusing strictly on you here Chadderz.

Centre line is wide open.

Keep the rear hand covering the head and ribs, as bit like holding a mobile phone to your ear.

Bring the lead forearm across the front of your body, covering that imaginary centre line.

Send that jab out at 50 and back at 100. Cover that centre line.

You move well from the waist, but the hands drop with the head, leaving you wide open for an overhand shot.

Soften the knees and slip the punches, rather than lean away from them.

Definitely an improvement though.

4. Simon

Tom drops his lead hand to his waist when he jabs.

This is fine if you are punching from a dropped hand position (Naseem Hamed style), but it can be easy for the other guy to just drop his rear heel to be out of distance, then follow your hand back knowing it's going to drop and not be in a position to punch.

Here are three movements all with the same principle that explain it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YXccWkxmd8"]Attack By Drawing - YouTube[/ame]

5. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, this thread is depressing :(

I want to see what I'm like with hard training and a good camp behind me.

6. Simon

It shouldn't be depressing.

I've put my sparring on video before and come away thinking, "oh dear, have I learnt nothing"?

You are only in competition with yourself and if you've only take one tip from the entire thread then you've grown from it.

10341659_776126109077871_2391204869288412113_n.jpg

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i'll second simon's tip. it's especially useful against people who prefer striking at long range and lean forwards to do so (and while you probably won't face many, it's particularly effective against people with a heavy sport krotty background), as they tend take a long time to rewind back to their regular position. lean forwards to lure them into punching, avoid by bending backwards (loading your rear leg), and spring forwards to bonk them in the face. it's one of the many things that are somewhat situational, but are hilarious when they land :D (also you can transition into a straight blast from this)

8. bjjbricky

bjjbricky New Member

Thanks for this Simon. Really bad habit of mine.
    I would like to work on slipping to the outside of the jab to land a right hook but my footwork and balance feels terrible when I try it. Any advice? Many thanks in advance.

9. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

There are various things you can do, but the key thing is practice. I spend more time on stepping, dropping, twisting and turning than any other part of training.

10. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Amen to that.

11. Pretty In Pink

This thread has pretty much destroyed all illusions I've ever had of my striking ability. I went kickboxing today and I've never felt more useless. Although there are other factors too so it might just all be in the head.

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Its a forum of instructors mate, don't feel too bad :p

Honestly dude, I've felt the same way about you when I've shared bjj videos and stuff about mma. I put them up to get feedback from people I know are more knowledgable than me, but then I feel embarrassed showing what I feel to be sub par skills in comparison. No one here cares. All anyone commenting on this thread is interested in is helping you make improvements where they feel they can offer advice. And I'm willing to bet money that if JWT or Simon, or any of the other guys filmed a video of them sparring they'd be able to watch it back and point out flaws they themselves are making. Its a very easy thing to do when you're watching a video back.

Don't let it get to you basically. Come to the MAP meet and spar with me and I guarantee you'll at least come away from that feeling great :p

13. Pretty In Pink

Don't get me wrong, the advice is great and I'm grateful for it! I just can't wait until I'm back to regular training, then see what I'm like.

14. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I've never seen a video of myself doing anything in the martial arts with which I am happy. I can normally spot at least ten things per minute of footage that I think need a lot of work.

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

You KOing someone quicker than 2mins?:star::eek::star:

16. Simon

Definitely.

Although I'm happy to post videos here for discussion I have done a few sparring videos over the years and never been satisfied.

Again I agree.

Chadderz, take everything you've posted and seen here as a positive.

Students leave the class saying, "I was terrible tonight, I got hit, was off balance", and so on.

What those students don't see is the other members of the class coming up to the instructor and saying, "he/she is really getting a sharp jab", or, "so and so has definitely stepped up to the next level".

This goes in cycles.

One day I think I'm terrible, six months later I think I've got it, a month after that I get a new drill or series of moves that has me perplexed and I feel like I'm back at square one.

It seems this is where you are at, Chadderz, but those in the know will tell you it's a good thing and part of the process.

Imagine that you join a class and get a white patch or belt. You go through the processes of training obtaining rank as you go.

You get to a black belt test, but instead of betting a black belt you get given the white belt again.

This cycle should go on throughout your training.

Don't be thinking the instructors here are better than you.

We're just old enough to have received several while patches and can pass on that learning knowledge.

I'd have you as my student in a heartbeat.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The only people posting videos without any flaws or faults are people that aren't posting any videos at all.
    Chadderz...you have fought very well in MMA. Something I'd not have the balls to do. Don't lose sight of the good things when people mention the not so good (note I didn't say "bad").

18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

If we didn't have anything to improve and work on, what would be the point of training?

19. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee Valued Member

Chadderz, hats off to you for posting a vid of yourself, even more so for it being a sparring video- nothing choreographed, rehearsed or slow motion. With the tools you have at range use them to your advantage, don't be over eager about getting inside as once there you're likely to be in a smaller guys comfort zone against you- yeah practice working from inside for when you find yourself there but don't look to take the fight there.
    I would hate to go against you put it that way

20. Pretty In Pink

Well I went back to kickboxing Monday and yesterday. Something really clicked and I realised what it was.

I need to hit people with more intention. Make people respect the fact that I might hit them. Seems silly but I think the difference is huge.