Solo Excercises

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Phantom Power, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

Hi,

I was wondering what sort of solo excercises you do outside of class to support your Aikido? This can be anything from standard physical excercise right through to specific Ki excercises (regardless of what you define as Ki, I dont want to get into that particular debate, thanks).

Cheers

2. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

Bokken Suburi
    Jo suburi
    Jo kata
    Bokken kata
    Tandoku dosa
    Taisabaki
    Hiji kata

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Suburi (thousands of them ) concentrating on ki (spirit) ken (technique) tai (body alignment) and integrating them into a single expresion.

And guitar good for left and right hand co-ordination, relaxing, rythm and timing.
    (only slightly joking) :) I read you profile. I have a vintage fender stratocaster (worth more than me).

regards koyo

4. Phantom Power

Thanks, Looks like I'm going to have to get back out in the garden, and suffer the wrath of the neighbours kid's (I'm sure I heard one calling me "Star Wars Kid" lol). Luckily the club I train at is very weapons focussed, I just need to remember the various suburi. I find it easier to work my way through the kata than the individual suburi for some reason.

BTW Koyo, nice guitar! I was always more of a Gibson man myself, but got a Fender Jaguar a few yrs back and fell in love with it. Nowt vintage though, unfortunately.

5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Koyo's just looks vintage it's actually all the smoke he breathes on to it. ;)
    Ask what happen to his PC!!!! :0

The Bear.

6. koyo

I have to smoke about a hundred fags a day so that I can match the bears fitness.My PC was damaged from the smoke arising from the speed I type.

regards koyo

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Better up that to 200, busted my ankle and staring at the wall at the moment!
    Any if I got much fitter none of you guys would stand a chance. :D

You should put the fag down before one finger typing you know.

The Bear.

8. koyo

Hi Bear

Chris injured his leg...no big deal...he is going to a tai boxing camp next month in tailand already paid for...00000ps!!! BIG DEAL.

regards koyo

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Sugar Honey Ice Tea!
    How bad is the leg?

I would like to say mine was done being a martial arts hero but I fell over in the park.

The Bear.

10. koyo

Causing him a lot of pain breakfalling. I think he was overdoing it. He hates running so he was just banging away at the bags and circuit training. Pretty bad for him to complain.
    By the way please address me as koyo sugar honey is way too familiar. :Angel:

regards koyo

11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

What am I supposed to think most of the time I see you, you are wearing a skirt and the long flowing locks ... well you know bears ain't the brightest.

;)

The Bear.

12. koyo

Sorry for highjacking the thread phantom. You could try tanren uchi. If you have an old car tyre and can brace it at chest level then execute shomen and yokomen suburi.
    Remember to ALWAYS use surugi (wringing the hands on the tsuka) This makes all the difference.Good for the forearms even better than nikkyo. :D

regards koyo

13. Phantom Power

No apology needed, far more entertaining than my work! I dont have a tyre (other than the one above my belt) but I should be able to rig something up. Thanks.

14. rogerclf1

rogerclf1 Valued Member

Hi I was wondering can you transfer these exercises in English. I just started Aikido and since I can only train 1 or 2 days a week I really need something to train at home. thank you.

15. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

Solo Training Exercises

Bokken Suburi - short exercises with the bokken (wooden sword): Frontal strike (shomen uchi / mae giri), side of the head diagonal strike (yokomen uchi / kesa giri), thrust (tsuki).
    Also, four directional cutting (shiho giri) and eight directional cutting (happo giri)

Jo suburi - short exercises with the jo, there are 20: 5 thrusting (tsuki), 5 striking (uchikomi), 3 one handed (katate), 5 "figure 8" (hasso gaeshi), 2 "flowing" (nagashi)

Jo kata - long forms with the jo. 13, 22, and 31 count kata. In our system we also have a 39 count kata.

Bokken kata - 8 step kata and 37 count kata

Tandoku dosa (or Aiki Taiso) - stretching and conditioning exercies, including wrist stretches (tekubi undo) plus rowing exercise (fune kugi undo), arm swing and turn (ude furi undo), arms up and to the side (sayu undo)

Taisabaki - body turning and footwork exercies: body turn (tenkan), step and turn (irimi-tenkan), turn in place (tenkai), step and turn in place (kaiten)

Hiji kata - Elbow strike kata

16. rogerclf1

rogerclf1 Valued Member

OK thank you. I won't be able to do many right now because I haven't learned them yet. Something to look forward to. Thanks I appreciate it.

17. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

18. Phantom Power

Thanks Citcom, the steps listed in that link are pretty good memory joggers.

19. koyo

Any of Saito shihan's books on traditional aikido would help plus 'as the others have posted 'there are clips on the net.Best wishes for your training.

regards koyo

20. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

I find I am always doing Tai Sabaki (body movements).

Irimi (entering / stepping forward)
    Hiraki (sliding / stepping sideways)
    Nagashi (flowing / stepping backwards)
    Irimi Senkai (enter rotate / stepping in and around)
    Tenkan (turning around)
    Tenkai (pivoting) [I do this all the time, even when I am teaching at uni I am pivoting as I move]

These develop good strong hip movements, something that is very important in Aikido.

Regards,

Graham