So in the spirit of conversation

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Hapkid0ist, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Hapkid0ist

Hapkid0ist Tsalagi Pride!!!!

So in the spirit of conversation, and since it seems to be a tad bit slow here, here is my question.
    So at the gup levels in your school, what techniques do you learn? Do you do learn any forms, striking combinations, weapons, breathing? What do y’all have to know for 1st Dan.
    For us the requirements are.

Black Belt:

Korean Terminology, no less than 75% / Sparring is a testing requirement for all belts.

Yellow Belt:
    Lapel Grab Hand Techniques.
    Break Falls.
    Stretch Kicks.
    Basic Kicks.
    (General Kicks) Begin at this level.
    Basic Breathing Exercises.
    Green Belt:
    Belt (Judo) Grab Hand Techniques.
    Basic Kicks.
    (General Kicks) Begin at this level.
    Basic Striking.
    Purple Belt:
    Inside Wrist Grab Techniques.
    Punch Defenses.
    Kicks.
    Side Kick Defenses.
    Blue Belt:
    Double Single Wrist Grab Techniques.
    Basic Rolls.
    Use of Elbows (Guarding).
    Kicks.
    Punch Defenses.
    Side Kick Defense.
    Brown Belt:
    Outside Wrist Grab Techniques.
    Striking
    Kicks
    Spin Kick Defenses.
    Red Belt:
    Front Double Wrist Grabs.
    Upper Arm Grabs.
    Front Single Shoulder Grabs.
    Double Front Lapel Grabs.
    Roundhouse Defenses.
    Kicks.
    BB Candidate:
    Rear Single Collar Grabs.
    Rear Double Shoulder Grabs.
    Rear Double Elbow Grabs.
    Rear Double Wrist Grabs.
    Walk by Techniques.
    Bear Hug Defenses.
    Hair Grab Defenses.
    Sit Down Defenses.
    Headlock Defenses.
    Knife Thrust Defenses.
    Overhead Knife Defenses.
    Horse Stance to Rear Side Kick
    Front Kick to Spin Kick
    Side Kick to Spin Kick
    Roundhouse to Spin Kick
    Low Spin Kick to Low Round House
    6 Consecutive Sparring Matches

2. timex

timex Valued Member

The techniques sound similar -we also have front kick punch defenses 1-12
    as a requirement for orange belt. Our belt system (colors) are a little different-white,orange,yellow,green,blue,brown,red,and black. Sparring is not a requirement -but we do it off and on. We have 5 forms, and we do weapons-staff, nunchucks, sword,cane etc. we do not have the Korean terms and do not use them at our school.
    sorry if this reply is a little spacey but it's getting late and I just got back from class-we are having a black belt test Friday-we always test on everything from white-black, not just the current requirements. So nice to hear from another Hapkido practioner :)

3. removal

removal Valued Member

By listing all the requirements for each gup would take me a lifetime, since there were so many things to learn! The instructor had a big chart filling an entire wall outlining what each belt test would include.

However...

In my class, we were exposed to all the above moves from the word go. From white belt, you do all the same moves as the black belts, but the idea was that by mimicking the black belts for 12 months, you gradually improved your skills. There wasn't any clear structuring of development for individual belt colors during the class training.

Also, a lot of students at our gym crossed over from Taekwondo, so there were many students who were proficient at all the advanced spin kicks when they were wearing a white belt.

Also, we had a lot of flying jumps - flying over people, bodies, equipment. As well as handspring, somersault and backflip and cartwheels.

There were about 100 self defense moves, but from what I've seen from online videos, many overseas gyms are teaching self defense moves at low level belts which would be expected from higher level belts in Korea. We were pretty weak in self defence.

We also had weapons - nunchuku, with 10 forms to be learnt before black belt; sword with another 10 forms; and staff with 3 forms.

Finally, if you couldn't demonstrate one of the moves at a test, in Korea, you will never fail a color belt test! We certainly NEVER did sparring in our tests, either!!!

4. Hapkido7

Hapkido7 New Member

HI Sir..
    Well lets see.. I just got my yellow..This is what I tested on ok. You tell me what you think. 10 joint locks. 5 hand strikes 1-center knuckle punch 2-knife hand strike 3-inner knife hand strike 4-Spear hand strike and 5-palm strike..5 kicks also and they are--1-center kick 2-inside kick 3-outside kick-4-side kick and finally the center toe kick. I did well if you dont me bragging.. lol... Robi--

5. klaasb

klaasb ....

6. ray8285

ray8285 Valued Member

Take to long to list each test but in general:
    10-20 self defense at each belt
    3-5 kicks
    3-5 strikes
    all rolls and falls
    at least 3 sparring matches

Also, during your testing you will do virtually all of your kicks and strikes learned to that date. You will do all of the current rank self defense as well as several from each of the previous ranks.

7. Hapkido7

Hapkido7 New Member

MMMM Not sure yet.. I just got my Yellow---And beleive me it feels great because I was flawless in my first testing.. lol..I was tested on 10 joint locks.. 5 strikes and 5 kicks...I even had to break a board with a side kick that was a suprize..I'm having fun and thats what matters most to me..Always wanted to try MA and here I am..Olm man too. lol....
    Robi

8. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

Each rank has a few blocks, Kicks, punches, strikes, Pressure Points, etc.
    I'll give all of the whitebelt requirements but then.

10th Gup Whitebelt
    Basic History of Hapkido
    Dojang Etiquette
    Meditation
    Standing Breathing Exercise #1
    Falling (Side, Front, Back, Forward and backward rolls)
    12 Wrist grab defenses Outside Grab
    12 Wrist grab defenses Inside Grab (Mostly the same techniques)
    6 Pressure Points
    Blocking: Palm Block, Backhand Block, Hand Exchange Block, Inside Combination Block
    Punches: Forward, Reverse, Lunge
    Strikes: Knifehand, Palm Heel
    Kicks: Side kick, Scoop Kick, Front Snap Kick

9th Gup Yellow Belt
    12 Throws
    Pressure Points
    Blocks, Strikes, Kicks
    Roll over obstacle,
    Standing Breathing Exercise #2
    Sitting Breathing Exercise #2

8th Gup Orange Belt
    Clothing Grab Defenses (2 to 6 defenses for each grab)
    Sleeve Grab (Near Wrist, Elbow, Shoulder, Behind Neck)
    Chest Grab (Straight Grab, Inverted, Twist, Armpit)
    Belt Grab
    Kicks, Strikes, Hard Blocks
    Pressure Points

7th Gup Low Green Belt
    Two Hand Grab Defenses
    Two Hand Grab Defenses from behind
    Double Handed Grab
    Double Handed Inverted Grab
    Standing Breathing Exercise #3
    Kicks, Strikes, Blocks
    Pressure Points

6th Gup High Green Belt
    Punch Defenses using Jointlocks and Throws
    Sitting Breathing Exercise #3
    Kicks, Strikes, Blocks
    Pressure Points

5th Gup Low Blue Belt
    Kick Defense (Side kick, Roundhouse, Front Kick, Spin Kick)
    Advanced Jointlocks
    Kicks, Strikes, Blocks
    Pressure Points

4th Gup High Blue Belt
    Knife Defenses
    Kicks, Strikes, Blocks
    Pressure Points

3rd Gup Low Purple Belt
    Ground Defense (Various Possitions, submissions)
    Chokes
    Kicks, Strikes, Blocks
    Pressure Points

2nd Gup High Purple Belt
    Jointlock Counter Techniques
    Throw Counter Techniques
    Kicks, Strikes, Blocks
    Pressure Points

1st Gup Brown Belt
    Attacking Techniques
    Kicks, Strikes, Blocks
    Pressure Points

We recently reorganized the curriculum but this is it for the most part. It will become clearer to me when I actually promote someone up to that rank. Right now my highest student is at Low Green belt level.

9. klaasb

klaasb ....

10. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello all,

Klaas,

Looks great - the only thing I would do is add more light - its a little dark - top light in particular to eliminate the shadow- but great job.

11. klaasb

klaasb ....

Thanks for the tip.

Actually we still have to paint the wall in the back as well ;)

12. saint15

saint15 New Member

hey i only started training about 6 months ago and am currently a green belt i have been reading some of the threds here and you guys all seem to have way more belts than us we only have white, yellow, green, blue, red and black.

For white belt we have to show 13 same side wrist releases, defence from the front and 7 attacks i.e playstation, piano, shoulder lock, wrist lock, belt grab, knife arm, cradle (you may have different names for them so sorry if the names dont make sense to you)

for yellow belt we had to show five throws bar throw, sholder lock throw, bow throw, hip throw and a trip throw as well as defence from behind, five cross wrist releases and some 2 handed releases.

in each grading we had to do some basic kicks

for green belt we have to show 6 sets of punch defence and kick defense and have been told we have to do some combination kicks

we get tought long stick from white belt and i currently know the first form and am being shown lots of other practise spins

sorry i cant help out with the curriculum for the other belts and i hope this is helpful to you but i am currius as to how soon other peple start wepon training and why there seems to be a difference in the belt colouring.