Smelly Gi

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dave76, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

So recently my gi starts to smell bad as soon as I start sweating. Smells like I left it wet in the gym bag for too long(which has happened a time or two). I hang it up to dry out after every class and wash it every other class. I have tried soaking it in soapy water before washing and also detergent with baking soda in it. I am a little leery of using bleach as I don't want to bleach out my patch.
    Just wondering if anyone here has had similar problems or or solutions. Thanks for the help, I don't want to be know in class as the "smelly guy"! :D

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

What temperature do you wash it at? At least 60. More if you can

I'd try soda crystals? Often old remedies work well

4. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Washing temperature too low? I'd go for 60 (celsius).
    And I'd also wash them every time, not every other time.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Watch out for major shrinkage if you wash at that temperature though (depending on the make of your gi).

6. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

I do normally wash with cold water. Are soda crystals the same as baking soda? I'm thinking buying a second gi is also a part of this solution since I'm an apartment dweller and have to pay for each wash, and I'm a cheapskate. ;)

edit: I'm sure it will shrink as I got a cheap one ($25) since I wasn't sure if I would stick with this style when I started. Thanks for the warning.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's the cold water not killing the bacteria

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I can't believe people don't wash their kit after every lesson! It must be crusty with sweat!

30 degrees with a whitener and a soak but the key is to get it in the wash straight away. Leave it and all the bacteria have time to breed and set up camp and you won't shift them.

Wash your sweaty kit you stinky MAPpers!

Mitch

9. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Whaaaaaat? Ya mean once a week isn't enough? :eek::eek:

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Tide Sport.

That's it. I had the same problem with a lot of my normal boxing clothes. Switched over to Tide Sport, liquid detergent and it has taken care of the issue for me. It smells pretty good too!

11. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

But then I'll close the door to Narnia at the bottom of my hamper. :(

12. Omicron

Omicron is around.

As someone just getting over his second case of ringworm in a month, WASH YOUR UNIFORM AFTER EVERY PRACTICE! You might not mind wearing a dirty uniform, but your training partners can end up suffering for your lack of hygiene.

As for your sweaty smell, I noticed the same problem a few months back. I wash my gi after every practice, and I still couldn't shake the smell. Turns out, I had just switched to a new brand of laundry detergent, and it wasn't getting the job done. As soon as I switched to a more reliable brand, the smell went away. Maybe consider shopping around for some new detergent...?

13. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Washing my gi 4x a week seems a bit ridiculous. Also with coin operated washers the amount spent washing it would be the same as I pay for training in a month. Smell has only become a problem in the last month. Previously hanging it up to dry as soon as I get back and soaking it before washing has been enough. In class we also wipe down all the mats 2x a month with disinfectant. I have not heard of anyone getting ringworm or other infections.

14. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If you train four times a week you should wash it, properly, four times a week.

Ringworm is one of the easier fungal infections to get. A lot of people can have a form of it and not even realise they have it. It is most commonly passed on from animals like dogs and cats, but can also be passed on through clothing, gloves, etc.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Double up on your kit.

One to wash one to wear sort of thing.

16. Dean Winchester

Damn right.

Straight out of the kit bag and into the wash.

Even the inside of my gloves get wiped down and left out to dry when I get home.

17. Count Duckula

True, which is why you should always buy your gi oversize.
    And of course, no tumble dryer and you don't need to wash 60 degrees every time.

18. Dean Winchester

Just be thankful you aren't dealing with Hakama. :D

19. Count Duckula

If you just let it dry out without washing, you're basically letting the moisture evaporate while allowing the bacteria to breed another couple of days before you go rubbing it off on other people. If this is your problem, buy more kit and wash it together if need be, or do a hand wash with the appropriate product.

Just letting the bacteria throw an no holds barred orgy like this is bound to make your gi stink, and bad manners towards your training partner.

20. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Is this like a white cotton gi? Definitely worth have at least 3 gis, then you could wash 2 a time or 3 a time if you can get 1 dry for next training day. As someone without a washing machine at home who relies on a laundrette to do my gis and bedding it's something I considered, the cost and convenience of washing them. I bought my first judo gis for £5-10 nearly new, it wasn't a great expense even if like now when I'm not so enthusiastic about return to training.