slow computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Infinity, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Infinity

Infinity -Invincible-

i got this computer for a month now its a 1.8 sempron 3200+ 512 ram . it was so fast before the first time i got it and now its slow what cn be done to fix this? i downloaded some programs from download.com its called tune up. and it still slow after i ran the program. do i need to defrag it or something?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

stop downloading t3h Pr0n... ;)

3. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Basic maintenance is the 1st port of call (assuming you don't have a virus or spyware making use of valuable resources)

1) Close all your applications
    2) Delete your Page file (on all drives)
    3) Defragment your hard drive
    4) Re-create your page file (on all drives)
    5) Set the Performance Options under the 'Advanced Tab' in the System Properties to optimise the type of usage that best defines your needs.
    6) Set the visial effects settings to 'Best suited for performance'
    7) Check that no system process is taking an unusal ammount of system resources. Some apps are very badly coded, and don't release system resources back once they use them, even if the app is shut down.

See how this goes.

4. murphy81

murphy81 GM COMPUTER SERVICES

Without sounding sarcastic - Have you checked for Viruses/Spyware etc? Usually find that this slows down a lot of computers.

Maybe you have got a lot of music/video/whatever installed on your computer.

Another thing to try is a Disk Cleanup, might work, might not, but if you havent done one for a while, its amazing how much stuff you can find just sitting there doing nothing :)

5. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

The quickest and easiest path is to format and reinstall your OS

6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

yeah, get thumbdrive or an external HD and put anything you need on there. then wipe it and reinstall your OS. takes maybe 45 minutes and it fixes everything.

7. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Sounds like a PEBKAC issue to me.

You might want to ring the product vendor.

8. murphy81

murphy81 GM COMPUTER SERVICES

LOL Man, Havent heard that for ages!! :D

PEBCAC is also a good one....either way, it works :rolleyes:

9. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

Have a look at task manager and check the CPU and Memory usage, that might give you some clue as to what is slowing yuor system down

10. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Yeah, for the shotgun style tech with time to burn, yeah, I suppose that is the easiest...

11. armanox

Umm......I guess that's a reference to my style of computer repair? But I have 100% customer satisfaction. ;)

12. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Go to run and type 'msconfig'. Click the startup tab, and it'll show you every program that is loading up on your computer when you first start it. 9/10 times, a slow computer is due to someone's startup list being horrendously long. They'll have maybe 20 programs loading up in the background when they get into windows, and so before they even do anything most of their resources are already being used. Leave things checked that you know you want, but most everything else can go and that should make a big difference.

13. Crashed

Crashed New Member

Try fixing it the russian way, put on some combat boots and kick the poo out of it.

14. armanox

I had a comp that that worked with for a while. Turns out when I took it apart that the power cable going to the HDD was loose.

15. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Infinity, could you send my some screenshots of the following areas:

1. Add/remove programs
    2. Task Manager
    3. Windows Registry. Click on start>run and type regedit. Once in there open the following keys:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Run (take a screenshot of what is shown on the right side)

You can download a free capture utility in here:

http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

Helpful link that will help you to find where viruses and trojans hide on startup:

http://www.governmentsecurity.org/articles/Placesthatvirusesandtrojanshideonstartup.php

BTW, TuneUp utilities is an excellent cleaning utility but would no nothing when it comes to clean an infected machine.

I also remember that you are a P2P user (Morpheus if my memory serves me right ;) ) so no wonder why your machine runs slowly. You probably have a lot of garbage in your machine because if you turn your machine into a wide-open P2P server for unattended, direct file exchanges, your new "all ports open" machine is going to get hacked to death. The concept of security disappears with today's P2P applications, which simply were not designed with security in mind.

So be warned. Right now, I can picture in my mind what your machine looks like. Basically something like this:

[​IMG]

:D

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

yeah, use the remote assistance function

17. Infinity

Infinity -Invincible-

ok i reformated everything is fast now