Slothosaurus Training Log!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by LemonSloth, Aug 28, 2013.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I'm curious about this too. I've used the ab wheel at my gym, and I don't really get much of anything out of it ab-wise...more of a back exercise to me.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

that likely means your lats are weak
    if you can't fully flex the shoulder (which is essentially an isometric pullover motor pattern), then to go lower your lower back flexes, which is poopy. your lower back should be extended and your abs firing on all cylinders to prevent your sternum and pubic bone from moving away from each other, and that requires motion at the shoulders.

3. matveimediaarts

Huh. I extend all the way out when I do it with no problem. I've got a wheel around here and I'll play with it as you suggest before bed. Thnx.:cool:

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

da hell??...::rapidly blinks eyes:: abwheel?? ::skin crawls as an odd, uneasy sense of dejavu begins to envelope his whole being::

[​IMG]

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Nearest one to me is about 1hr 15min driving away, so at this time I cannae go very easily. I would love some heavy(ish) Atlas stones though. That and a yoke. And some decent bars for doing farmer's walks with. Maybe a car to deadlift...

:whistle:

Yes. :eek:

There's a crap ton of progressions you can do with them as well, so you should never really get to the point where it stops working. It's pretty cheap and very useful. Plus, as I found out recently, you can simulate pull ups with it pretty easily (the movement is almost exactly the same, perhaps a little easier than a regular pull up). I picked up my ab wheel for about £12 and when you consider I'm close to 18 stone it's holding my weight nicely. Creaks a bit though :p

But yeah, pretty decent value for money actually.

Also, what Fish said. :)

Haha!

This guy, he gets it :D.

6. belltoller

It is depressing, I know how you feel. Things like heart problems, inner ear surgeries and the like - meh...muscle through it. But those sprains, tendonitis and seemingly insignificant (to those who don't train) injuries to the feet and hands, joints and tendons - those are the ones that can take one out of the game - and they occur so easily and frequently.

Uh-huh. You've to take it where you find it. All I've been able to do all week is play basketball after my kid's tourney games are over for the evening but I go all out when I'm there; trying to make up for lost time.

Its always a game of catch up.

But you'll find that you gained something that you wouldna otherwise. Picking up large, cumbersome pieces of furniture and carrying them over uneven, unpredictable terrain is a different ball game than lifting ergonomically convenient weights in a (relatively) safe, clutter-free gym. You've no doubt thrown in more muscle combinations than you would've if you had your own personal training coach to design a plan that mimics picking up and carrying cumbersome objects over tricky footing.

BTW, I'm assuming you're strapping the tumble dryer you mentioned to your back and not carrying it in your arms. <----- if you are, I'd rather not know

Your doin' well. The sun'll peek through soon enough.

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Genuinely sorry to hear you're feeling down. I've been in a very similar boat - haven't been able to train more than once a week for the past few months. Kickboxing/aikido will be back when you're in better physical health. :]

8. LemonSloth

Well, another brief update. Slowly upping the amount of training I do each week, but still small amounts for the most part. Been swimming again, did some bag work which was cool (though I've lost a lot of speed, movement & power obviously) and been doing general other bits and bobs like more weighted walks and the like.

Also my strongman log turned up yesterday and I gave it a go. Had a bit of a press medley with a dumbbell, barbell & log at varying weights later on in the day as well.

...I hate the log. It's an amazing piece of kit to play with but holy crap, you just can't come close to pressing the same weight or even getting the same weight up as you could with a barbell. For obvious reasons admittedly but knowing about it then actually experiencing it are two different things.

I think I'm in love :love:.

Decided to get my gym membership cancelled now, I'll be using the money to get an outdoor squat rack and some tarpaulin to stop it being rained on when I'm not using it. Saves the wife being terrified I'll injure myself in the gym and not be able to get help, plus it means I can access it much easier. :)

9. belltoller

Strongman log?? Missed that one completely. Looking at a few poses on google - whazzit do (differently)? Provide the ungainly bulk that barbells wouldn't?

[​IMG]

10. LemonSloth

Much as I'd love one of those, my one is a cheaper version like this:

[​IMG]

Basically it's got a different grip, different alignment of the hands/shoulders (etc) when you're prepping to put it overhead and yeah, it's bulkier which actually makes it a little more difficult to get up ready to press overhead. The difference between trying to put a barbell overhead and a log is massive, it ends up being a completely different animal.

Example: End of this video, the guy who can put 180kg overhead struggles to make a 100kg log go up:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSp9AxOUWlg"]Powerlifter & Strongman Overhead Party Crashed By Weightlifter (eng sub) - YouTube[/ame]

11. belltoller

I priced a few of the "cheap" ones...not exactly "cheap" but yes, I can readily see a number of benefits over traditional barbells - more muscle combinations involved and would hone one's sense of agility and timing as well.

There are probably others I've not thought of.

12. LemonSloth

Probably, but I wouldn't know. I'm just more of a fan of grabbing random heavy things, picking them up and pressing them or moving around with them. I don't care too much how they work as long as they do :p

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  13. LemonSloth

07/05/15:

General update for today (I'll forget if I don't post it):

Log Clean & Press:
    w/ 30kg (unloaded log) & 2 x 5
    w/ 50kg @ 3 x 5
    w/ 60kg (2 strict, 1 push per set) @ 3 x 3

Barbell Clean & Press:
    w/ 55kg @ 3 x 5
    w/ 65kg @ 3 x 3 (all strict)

Dumbbell row:
    w/ 33kg @ 3 x 10

Goblet Squat:
    w/ 33kg dumbbell @ 2 x 10

14. LemonSloth

Leading up to 12/05/15:

Lots of bits and bobs. Swimming, a few rounds of bag work, etc. Nothing too special.

12/05/15:

OHP (all started with a clean)
    w/ 20kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 35kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 45kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 55kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 60kg @ 3 x 3
    w/ 75kg @ 2 x 1

The 75kgs were interesting. First rep was so damn close to a strict press but, again, I got stuck just before the lock out and had to do a tiny push to get it going. Second attempt needed a proper push press. Third attempt I got it up and dropped it. Decided to call it quits. It's interesting that despite not having trained consistently for a while, my press strength has barely shifted.

13/05/15:

Had a rest. Not enough sleep, too much food :p

14/05/15:

Deadlifts:
    w/ 55kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 70kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 85kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 95kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 105kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 120kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 130kg @ 1 x 3
    w/ 135kg @ 2 x 3, 1 x 1

Still haven't bought some new plates, so 135kg is the most I can pull while I'm at home. Will be rectifying that in the coming months (plan on getting a pair of 25s so I can go up to 185kg). Harder than it used to be obviously, but what surprised me was that up to 120kg it took me a little over 5 minutes (including changing the plates round) and even at 135kg, the bar has never gone up so fast. Even though my grip felt weaker and I haven't deadlifted in over 5 months. 135kg was a bit more of a strain than I would have liked though, but nothing excessive.

I'm still trying to get my head round that.

OHP (started with a clean):
    w/ 60kg @ 4 x 4

No warm up into it, just a few quick presses to finish. Felt surprisingly easy. Had to resist the temptation to push for more weight. Each set finished with a 10s lockout at the top.

Hey, considering I've been out of action for a while, that's not bad I don't think.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  15. matveimediaarts

Impressive shenannigans! I reckon I'll have to just keep on at my slow/steady pace to catch up or save some pennies to hire a good coach.

16. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Pretty awesome work mate, it's nice when weight that used to feel heavy suddenly feels light!

17. LemonSloth

Ta very much :)

You'll get there. The weight I'm deadlifting it pretty much a baby weight actually ;)

Thanks buddy :)

Looking forward to the day I can actually pull a reasonable weight like 2 x my bodyweight (unfortunately I've not gained a large amount of flab but I've added nearly 10kg in the last 5 months :eek:)

18. matveimediaarts

19. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

what size log you got?
    (weight wise)

20. LemonSloth

30kg. Only one I could afford. Max weight limit 150kg (lol, like I'm going to get anywhere near that in a hurry :p).