size matters

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mai tai, Sep 28, 2005.

1. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Ya you go ahead and overcome strength or whatever as soon as you overcome the wind.

2. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

Wind is a good principle to overcoming strength, actually. :)

I'm not getting into a protacted debate about the advanced and spiritual side of the martial arts. I've said what I've said; if you deny it, I'm probably not going to change your mind over something as remote as an online forum.

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Because thats what the law of averages state's, sometimes the little guy will be mroe skilled, sometimes the bigger guy will be more skilled. Anyone whoit thinks size and weight aren't significant factors has probably not fought against someone bigger than them of equal experience under full contact rules.

edit; Not directing that at you in particular, just saying that a lot of people think size and strength are less important tan they are.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Ph33r 73h Fu11 C0n74c7!!!!

[​IMG]

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I don't think they're insignificant, but sometimes it seems as though people also forget that speed, reaction time, reflexes and ability to move properly are also important to fighting ;)

6. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

Simply put, there are no rules on the street. Even if a big person and a small person are equal in skill, it still depends on how they move. The deciding factor might be who gets in that vital punch or eye gouge, or whatever.

And if they are a real martial artist, then they wouldn't be attacking you. Therefore a real MAist who has trained long enough will be the one with the real advantage... an unknown amount of skill and an element of surprise.

Yeah, in the ring if you try to play with a bigger wrestler in his own game, he wins. But in real life you might just crush his larynx if he starts to wrestle you, et cetra and vice versa for strikers.

7. Slindsay

And let's not forget the bears. Incidentally, wouldnt the guy who moves better be the one who's more skilled?

Yes, the deciding factor may be who get's in that critical punch but how is that not related to size?

8. larry

larry New Member

Size or not to size

This is an interesting question. Does size matter. I have found that size matters if you are not willing to go to the N'th degree of violence. If you don't initiatate contact you have given away a great advantage. If you do however you can not stop untill your foe is down and out. People always talk about a real fight. I wonder how many have actually been in a " real " fight where someone dies? Things can take on a whole new light in these cases. If a mistake is made the fight will probably end. I place my vote for size does NOT matter. I have never seen a fight where both fighters were of equil abilities. In the gym you might see this but in the jungle or the ally of some stinking third world country it is who has the skill and is willing to kill the other guy first.
    In my opinion

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  9. Slindsay

You guys would all suck at science experiments.

10. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

I don't see the big deal here. What are we argueing about? Size can be an advantage and in some cases it can be a disadvantage. So what? What have we proven? At the end of the day I'm still 5'9" 210 lbs, someone else is 6'4" 300 lbs. Can this person beat me? I don't know, I don't care.

We don't get to pick our attackers on the street. If you're in a self defense situation you have to go into it with the attitude that you are going to win. You don't get to say, "Stop big mugger guy. Please, attack someone else in your weight class"

If someone has an advantage on you, you need to take that advantage away.

11. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

The fact is that all else being equal the bigger (stronger) person will win period!

First some people say just kick them in the knees or gouge their eyes or what ever they think will give them the advantage. Now what makes you think the bigger stronger person will not do the same thing to you before you do it to them. You will not be fighting a heavy bag.
    Say you do get to them first with; say a kick to the knee. The person is larger and will be able to withstand more punishment then the small person. As stated you will need to hit a “live” target so the odds are not good you will bring them down on the first strike. So they most likely will have a chance to get something in. When they do it will depend on the size difference and skill as to how much damage they will most likely do. All you need to do is to view some of the videos out there to see the damage a larger person does when they get one in on a smaller person.
    The basic factors in a “fight” are skill, aggression and strength.

The greater the size difference (strength) the more of a skill difference or other equalizer is required for the smaller person to win.

I have always liked working with stronger and more skilled people. You can not learn if you always have the advantage.
    By the way I am 6’1’’ 180lbs.

12. larry

larry New Member

My man there is no such thing as a dirty fighter. There are however fighters that live and those that die.

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

So for all you people who say that bigger is better, why the hell am I wasting my time training? I'm 5'3", 150lbs. Your average 15 year old is bigger than me. Really why should I bother training since it's all a moot point because I can't possibly win in a fight?

NOT :rolleyes:

And again:

ALL WILL NOT BE EQUAL!

14. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

I see no connection between getting in a vital strike and size.. if anything, the smaller person would seem to have the advange there.

And just for an "in the end" comment.. the goal of training physically, mentally, and spiritually is to be 'one with the universe', whatever that means to you. Being one with the universal ki, God, the clear light, the void, whatever your belief might say. If someone is initiating violence and attacking you, it is dissonace.. they are attacking the universe. And who can defeat the universe? :rolleyes:

15. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Of course size matters, if someone is bigger than you, they will have a longer reach, as well as probably being stronger, more powerful and being able to take more punishment.

Size isn't the only thing to consider, though and skill and fitness will play a role, however saying 'well i'd attack the weaker knee's etc' is not going to get you very far, there still gonna be trying to knock your block off so your either good enough to hit them or not.

I'm sure 'smaller' people perpetuate the myth that bigger guys are slow and have huge 'vunerable' spots not present on others that allow us to be easily beaten.

We're exactly the same as smaller guys, so if it works on them it will work on us, you'll just have to be quicker and braver to pull it off.

16. Slindsay

I have decked the universe on many an occasion, it's all talk.

17. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

Really? Crap.

I'll get the tiger balm.

18. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

The fact is that all else being equal the faster person will win period!
    The fact is that all else being equal the more skillful person will win period!
    etc etc etc

Rubbish rubbish rubbish!

You may as well say
    "The fact is that all else being equal the person with the spottiest **** will win period!"

I totally agree with BaiKai guy here. Nothing is ever 100% equal. If it were, there would be no point in any of us training, as there is always someone bigger.

Size can be a factor, but then can so many other things!

If size was such a deciding factor then everyone should give up training as there will always be someone bigger, better, faster, stronger blah blah blah.

19. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Slindsay's right. You really would all suck at science experiments.

20. Evil Betty

Evil Betty Birdy, birdy birdy

Yes, size matters. But so does strength, health, speed, endurance, shape, height, reach, skill, environment, clothing, shoes, psychology, experience, alcohol, drugs, weapons, and so on. Just train. :bang: