Situation.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bodyshot, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Is this a martial arts club banning kids for messing about or a military unit cashiering its members at a court martial? Jesus christ.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

The sledgehammer has cracked the nut :)

3. Southpaw535

Ignoring the kids being kids thing, do you genuinely think that? Your instructor is a businesman running a martial arts class, not a deity. If anyone thinks that "a beating" would have been anywhere close to a thing he should be allowed to do, yet alone actually do then I'm going to be rather stunned. The teens messed about and broke a business contract. They did not offend their king. If anything I respect them for going through that and taking it instead of giving him a two word parting and walking out.

4. Southpaw535

The sledgehammer's got a stick up its backside and one hell of an authority complex from the sound of it.

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Young people having sex and smoking pot in a place they do a hobby in doesn't surprise me. :whistle:

The whole gym knowing about it and members of that gym posting the situation on a forum and discussing it with outsiders does.

Makes me wonder what kind of morals and ethics this god-like gym owner is pushing.

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

How much detail did the instructor get into over the matter?

Why? It wasn't your place of business or religious ground, they had done nothing (as I understand it) to directly insult you, break your trust or anything else that might realistically damage your reputation, ability to train or otherwise interfere with your right to an undisturbed life.

The hell?! So after publicly shaming and humiliating them, getting them in trouble with their parents with two of them having a ban on seeing each other and one (if I've followed this right) being sent away to live with extended family members, he then puts it in the hands of his student/customer base on whether or not they should be given another chance?

See, I supported most of the actions of your instructor up to this point, but the whole public humiliation bit - and this bit in particular - is a big no-no. Frankly it's not the business of the rest of the students that the kids screwed up. Your instructor screwed up as well by trusting them with the keys, that doesn't mean that he should make it the business of the rest of the club.

Your instructor might like to tell himself that "this is your club", but the reality of it is that you're customers in a place of business at the end of the day, just like they are. Way to vilify people who made a mistake.

Is he still insisting that they have to pass a "board of their peers" if they ever dare setting foot there again?

EDIT: No, wait, being voted to be allowed to train again is the board of peers thing, I'm being daft.

If you genuinely believe this then I question the moral and ethical integrity of your school, your instructor and yourself. There's plenty of ways to punish someone for a breach of trust and contract without doing that.

Several of the kids burst into tears and all of them accepted apologising, rather than giving the one fingered salute and walking out of the room.

Do you think they were unrepentant?

7. Bozza Bostik

Dunno Sloth.

Personally I think the males should be branded with a "J" for junkie on their heads and the girls should be branded with an "S". They should be then stripped naked, covered in dog poop and whipped and paraded around the nearest trailer park while onlookers throw rancid food from McDonalds at them.

After that has gone on for a week, these disgraceful young criminals should be dragged into the centre of the trailer park and hung, drawn and quartered for the males, and burned at the stake for the females.

That'll teach any other young people to think twice before having a good time and doing what pretty much every other teenager in the world does!!

8. Moi

Finally a true Conservative :)

9. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Wow, that sounds insanely excessive.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Holy crap. I'd get my kid out of that school.
    OVERKILL ALERT!

11. Moi

It may only be called "Forbidden January" and may never be mentioned whilst wearing your gi. Let this be a lesson to all.

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

he should know; its not their fault, it was the reefer madness.

way excessive kobra kai karate cult

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

14. Bozza Bostik

Great song, great song!

15. Moi

I met him at a rave way back in the day :)
    Made my night :)

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Your instructor is loony tunes.

17. Moi

He's probably just hurt & overreacting to a situation he doesn't seem to understand. Being a megalomaniac is just his hobby :)

18. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Playing Devil's Advocate here:

Basically this. Much as it's one of those things that "every kid does at some point", it's easy to forget that as the premises owner/tenant he has responsibility for the care of the building and the acts that go on within them. Those kids were still breaking the law with the drugs which could have put him in a potentially difficult spot legally. Also, we're all calling them kids (which mentally they pretty much are) but it's easy to forget that these are legal adults in most countries.

I know what I might've done differently, what would everyone else have done?

19. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Yes- "teens will be teens" but I wonder how well were the actual moral lessons of martial arts were taught. One would think, that with rank/belt, the "moral responsibility" was instilled.

But again, black belts and/or instructors are known to break the law. Even if it is a traffic violation

If there are other martial art schools in the area, the teens will not "care about" being banned and go to those others schools.

20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The moral superiority of martial artists is as bogus as the battlefield origin stories of the martial arts they practice.