Situation.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bodyshot, Jan 5, 2015.

1. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

And thats a huge part of this, completely agree.

2. bodyshot

can anyone tell me how i can gets some posts deleted from my training log?

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

There is a forum thread called problems, suggestions, and questions. It is second from the bottom on the forums page. Post your query there.

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

They'd be out if it were my place, unless the powers that be above me had any particular objection to that course of action.

5. bodyshot

Think about the consequences of this going into your student folder/gym records...Your never gonna get selected to have any responsibility of anyones kids/students/property. And so much for a refrence right.

6. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

I'm surprised at the parents' decision not to let the boy and girl see each other, that's the most stupid reaction they could have. Not that it's going to work anyway.

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I think the instructor is right to take the key and give them a temp ban and I support the decision, for what little that's worth.

However, the bit in bold I don't get in the slightest. Do you happen to know what the criteria for "passing" is, or what they're being tested on?

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest and at the end of the day, it's probably a life lesson in respecting a persons' business and a place that many customers use that they needed to get.

Wow.

At the end of the day it is someone's livelihood these kids were messing around in, in a way that could cost the owner a lot of business through damaged reputation.

On the flip side, kids will be kids and my personal reaction is that the parents themselves might be going too far. But that's just my reaction.

8. aaradia

Has the owner owned up to his mistake in giving keys to teenagers? That was a very poor decision and one I hope he won't make again.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I don't see how him taking any blame in trusting a student to use his facility responsibly helps matters here. They know the difference between right and wrong.

I don't get the logic there Aaradia, sorry.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  10. aaradia

Fair enough, I see your point.

But my point is that many people here thought, "well'duh- teens will be teens!" I don't think it was a good judgement call to trust teens with the keys to his business. And I hope he doesn't do it again.

Sad that being too trusting is a problem, but it is. I hope he doesn't do it again.

11. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

I disagree here. That's the kind of behaviour you could expect from a 13-year-old, but these guys are 18. They're expected to behave as adults.

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Not sure I agree. I think its not a crime for people that age to have done those things, but with the information Bodyshot's given since the start of this thread I see this as by far the fault of rather dumb, constricting, authoritarian parents more than anyone else. The sex part at least, and forgive me for repeating a post, sounds less now like two teens decided to bang in a club 'cos they could, and more like some very dumb/naive parents decided they could stop 18 year olds from having sex so they went where they could. The pot smokers I'm a bit less forgiving to but hey. I'd also say that since they were referred to as "kids" I assumed they were like 13, not ages that most other countries would deem adults. "kids being kids" is harder to apply for them. Saying that, I lose track of which parents were for which teens but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some anti-authority "yeah lets smoke here" backlash going on.

13. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I have a teenage assistant instructor (18). I trust him fully with the keys to my gym. As a matter of fact I did so when I went away to Finland for a holiday and had him running classes for me. I'm generally not a very trusting person but I like to think I am a good judge of character and can usually see people for what they are fairly quickly.

I would hope this doesn't affect the instructors ability to trust, regardless of age, in the future. Perhaps just learn to become a better judge of character. It's all part of the learning process as a teacher I guess.

14. bodyshot

This just in... Well tonight we had a handful of special guests includeing the three boys and the girl who were members of our gym, the other special guest included a retired member of the highway patrol.
    I hadnt a clue what was going to happen. My instructor started class as usual, everyone lined up in an at ease posture (except Zack, hes always at attention with a total body pump going.), we were all called to attention and we recited the pledge and had a moment of silence as usual. Our instructor began telling the story of what had gone on with the banned kids.
    After rereading the contract signed by all students that details the consequence for such behavior he motioned to the assistant instructor, the assistant went to his office and opened the door, all the kids came out followed by a parent. The kids then appologized/admitted to smokeing pot to the entire class.
    What happened next I will never forget, Jeff (my instructor) took their belt and threw them on the floor over in a corner, they handed him their certificates and he ripped them up in front of the whole class two of the kids cried. Next they were topld to leave and that maybe they could come back in three months.
    We were all told that this was our Karate school and that we all needed to think about rather or not we should allow them to come back and that we would have a silent vote in three months for anyone who wanted to return.
    The highway patrol officer then talked for the next hour about drugs and a life of crime.
    There it is...

15. aaradia

Public shaming - not sure how I feel about that.

I don't think I like the tearing up their ranks and throwing their belts in the corner in such a manner. Especially AFTER they apologized. Too much drama.

An apology should be met with more grace I think.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  16. bodyshot

It sent a message, a very big message. I think the grace that was shown was that no one received a beating and the cops wernt actually called.

17. aaradia

And what message did it send? The public shaming part, that is?

That apologies should be met with humiliation?

18. bodyshot

If you arnt repentant then yes you could view it that way. It was in the contract mind you. These kids were very deceiving and took a huge advantage from a man that offered them a great opportunity.
    There going to walk this out and polish their honor or their not, its their call now.

19. aaradia

Oh, I get what they did. I have mentioned I think it is very serious in past posts. But no, the more I think about it, the more I don't like this public shaming drama/ ceremony.

I would get kicking them out outright, I get the more merciful ban of some time but not permanently. I get some private chastisement with some discussion of the potential repercussions to business and trust

.I don't like the rank thing, although taking away assistant teaching ability is fine. But after one apologizes, tearing up their rank in a ceremony seemingly meant with the intent of public humiliation? Putting their sashes on the ground in a corner? No, Sorry, I don't like it.

In a business, when one does wrong, whether one is fired or reprimanded, certain confidentiality is considered the norm. They deserve the same in getting their punishment meted out to them. These young people were already going to have to deal with the public humiliation of showing up knowing everyone knew what happened. The public shaming ceremony is just too melodramatic for my tastes.

Just my opinion, but I don't like it.

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think it's an overreaction by everyone concerned who seem to of forgot ton that this is all part of growing up. Yes they did some dumb stuff but that's what kids do, growing up you make mistakes, that's how you learn. Not much forgiveness in this story, were all the adults/parents really that straight whilst growing up?