Situation.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bodyshot, Jan 5, 2015.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yep. I was an assistant instructor as well.

Mind you, my infraction was a lot less severe than this.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I may have missed it but how old are these kids?

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

With teenagers on a clandestine trip to go wick dipping?

...Is that a rhetorical question?

TBH I think the instructor basically made the right call. Though giving the key to his gym to teenagers in the first place was pretty damn dumb.

4. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

It's a kiwi thing. I had the same reaction when I heard the expression ""sweet as.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You would kick them down an empty well?

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yes.

7. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Well its been a long day for the kids involved im sure. The parents have been informed, and a the keys have been confiscated. Everyone involved has been given a three month ban and lost rank all the way back to orange belt, which is our yellow belt. They all have to write a 2000 word report on the negative effects of pot and must pass a board exaim to re enter.
    The kids haveing sex got it the worst, their parents were told of the incident and the two are no longer allowed by the parents to hang out.
    There was mention of rehab by one boys parents. wow glad it wasnt me.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yeah, that's going to work. Pregnant inside 6 months. Mark my words.

9. bodyshot

Well I hope not, hes 18 shes 17 and nobody wants anything but the best for all those youngsters. Its gonna be kinda sad not haveing them around the next 12 weeks. I really didnt see this comeing....Honestly this has changed my world view a bit.

10. bodyshot

Billy G. We have two types of three types of rank where I train. The first is belt rank, white is the lowest rank and third degree black belt is the highest rank. Make sense?
    Next is what we call "time in grade" which refers to how much time you have in the art total and how much time you have in your belt rank total. It comes into play mostly for testing and between students of the same rank, lets say the instructor is absent and thers two bb at class, so the bb with the most time in grade is the leader for that training session the other is the assistant.
    The last type of rank is certification, which kinda looks like a high school diploma and you receive a new one with each new belt, its like proof that you did it, the instructor signs and dates it.
    We also have a certificate for a combatitives corse that is offered at our school, there are I think five levels a person can have in that program from student up to instructor.
    And sinse im on a roll here we also offer a certificate for cardio kick boxing boot camp which is a nine week program mostly for the ladies. I have all the certs for Cardio boot camp Im not afraid to say.:)

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I was about to say the same; except the pregnant part.

If there is one thing that kids have proven, that parents saying: You won't see him/ her again!" won't work out.
    At all.

Besides they're 17 and 18. Instead of telling them whom to meet, they should be told about responsibilities. Way more important.
    And whether or not they know all about it inside out - and I hope they do know - I would mainly lecture them about contraception ^^

I don't quite get, why the boy who used the gym as his bedroom didn't get banned as well though.
    Personally I would have banned him just as well.
    Cling together, swing together.
    Especially if he and his girl did so much clinging and swinging there together.

12. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I think this is a very reasonable punishment.
    It's a hard pill to swallow, but it gives them an opportunity to make amends.

I'm no Martial Arts instructor, but I have volunteered with youth. Correct and develop as opposed to just punish and leave in the mud.

I would be very curious to hear how this plays out three months from now.

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Guess that explains why they were having sex there in the first place. Doesn't sound like their parents made their own beds a possible prospect.

14. bodyshot

not to harp on it but thats the second hand story I got, they wernt supposed to be seeing anyone at all, in fact the parents didnt even know they had botfriends or girl friends.

15. bodyshot

All the kids involved were banned for three months, and lost their rank.

16. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

If I were a teenager, and got busted down to yellow/orange belt after being a blackbelt, I'd probably either quit MA or just find a new school. I'm assuming they wouldn't be able to take test after test, and get back to where they were in a few weeks - from what you said earlier, it seemed like they'd have to spend years going through the motions doing stuff they already did years ago. Seems like something very few people would be willing to do. Especially if there are testing fees, etc.

If there are any competitors with schools in the area, they might have some prospective students knocking on their doors.

I understand the instructor wanted to punish them, and they should get some punishment. But this isn't the army, and he is probably just going to make them leave, and maybe make a bad situation worse.

17. bodyshot

Jeffs a hard ass, hell he didnt eeven act like i exhited for the first three or foour months i knew him, and his rep around town is squeaky clean, he was an air force pilot, college grad bla bla bla, he might have been an army pilot idk anyway not the point.
    Honestly if I were one of those kids id be trying to enroll else where, and i wouldnt hand in my certs. Just sayin lols.

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Which is dumb as balls anyway, yet alone for people their age. Was never going to end well.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hahah...banning 17-18 year olds from going out with people. Yeah that was gonna work.
    The teenagers sound about the most intelligent people in this story.

20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

This is why everyone needs to read Shakespeare in school.