Sine wave

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Sub zero, Nov 21, 2003.

1. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

TAGB, ITF, former ITF.. a mountain starts with a few pebbles after all!

I agree (and figured thats what youd be saying), the institution of the new type sine wave has majorly hampered applications, as you know, its a subject I cover in the book and I guess for many technques that need twisting, you may have to go against the grain of what is taught today - a little! Still, it depends on whats important to the student! If ITF perform most things with no twisting at all (ie. the low block no longer chambers at the side) then IMO they are limiting themselves quite a lot.. and once the competitions are done with, they will be left wondering why so many techniques that do the same/similar thing!

Or the pre-new-sine wave ITF/Ch'ang Hon style!! :)

Cheers,

Stuart

2. BlindvSide

BlindvSide New Member

erm

ok, what's the difference between a hip twist and a sine wave? Really, I've taken courses in statics and dynamics and I have a fairly thorough knowledge of how you generate more or less power depending on what you're trying to do i.e. inflict damage, prevent injury during training. So far however I find ppl swearing by one tech or another. Is the "sine wave" a method for the start up or recovery of a kick or is it a method for your body movement during a kick, which i have to add is inevitably UP for any kick except a sweep as your body moves up to push up your leg.

3. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

The exaggerated "sine wave" that people are talking about is a pronounced down-up-down motion durning strikes and blocks, particularly in the patterns. Flex the knees, raise up as you move, and drop with the strike. It's an overexaggeration of a natural spring of the legs during a technique in my opinion, and I suspect that this is what Mr. Anslow is doing; not the exaggeration.

Hip twist is the generation of power by a rotation or snap of the hips during the technique. For example, if you were in a left leg forward walking stance throwing a right reverse punch, viewed from above your hips (and most of the rest of you) would snap counter-clockwise to generate the power for your punch.