Simple answer to ALL of your problems

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by gt3, Jul 7, 2005.

1. gt3

gt3 Member

So you have problems, you feel helpless, you feel like the world is often an evil place and it's always someone or something getting in your way or putting you in a bad mood. And you keep searching for the answer but it never seems to come? Well the truth is you've probably seen the answer many times but it was so SIMPLE that you just overlooked it, because humans usually want to complicate everything and think that every complex question has a complex answer. Well here's the answer (don't let it slip away this time!):

"To change the way that you process anything in your life is really so simple, and we try to make it so complicated. It's simplicity is what makes it so complex or so difficult for people. It's simplicity is when you say "how do you change one thought to another?" the answer is "you just do it". Nobody knows how, how you go from a negative thought of something that is very unpleasant in your mind to something very beautiful and very powerful in your mind. To go from an image of a suffering animal to a boquet of roses, the way that you do that is you just do it! you just picture the roses instead of the animal.

If you want to change a thought you just have to do it. It's just like if you want to quit smoking the way you do it is you just stop putting cigarettes in your mouth. If you want to quit the habit of nail biting then you keep your fingers out of your mouth. If you want to change the habit of processing the world in a negative way then you change the negative thoughts, you change the way you process, and how you do it is that you simply do it. How you sustain it is through being aware of what kind of thoughts are creating that in the first place.

If it's so easy why don't people do it? The answer to that is because the pay offs for not doing it are greater than the pay offs are for doing it. If you are able to manipulate and control somebody through your anger and you're not able to manipulate and control them through your gentleness, and manipulating and controlling people is on your agenda, then that's what you're gonna do. Now if you get that off of your agenda or realize that that agenda is keeping me from relating to the people the way I would like to, and it's gonna end up in another divorce or in another painful experience for me, then you stop. There was a payoff for all of that. So yes it's easier to be Christ-Like or Buddha-Like but the payoff's for that in a world where people are still trying to manipulate and control others and aquire for themselves and get on outcome, isn't nearly as great."

The above is a quote from Wayne Dyer's "Creating your life with your thoughts" Hope it helped

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol..

I feel a Nike commercial coming on.

3. gt3

gt3 Member

Shows how much television trains and invades our minds instead of the good stuff. Your mind is a spongue and some people choose to wipe up crap with it instead of truth and beauty :Angel:

4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

The problem with that philosophy is its difficult to maintain a continuous awareness of what you want to do. Some personal examples:

* I'm a hopeless nail-biter. Since it's not a major problem I've not bothered to do anything about it. However, I once tried to stop as an experiment to see how easy it would be. I went a whole week without biting but I can tell you the hardest bit is that you start to nibble when your mind is elsewhere and you don't even realise you're doing it.

* I went tea-total a couple of years ago as a new-year's resolution. 3 days later I was halfway through my second pint before I remembered I shouldn't be drinking!

Also, take the simplest of meditations: breath-counting. Breathe in (slowly), count one, breathe out (slowly), count two. Try to get to ten without any stray thoughts coming into your mind. It's not easy! If you can do ten then try 20, or 30, or 100. And when you fail (and you will) remind yourself of this "just do it" philosophy. ;)

Oddly enough though, I did quit smoking using the "just do it" method, so maybe it works for some people in some ways.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Most people over complicate a problem. Simple is usually better.

6. gt3

gt3 Member

well you can't just get over one habit without replacing it with another. For me 12 years ago i used to bite my nails a lot, then i got a computer and got into programming, typing replaced my nailbiting habit (and the image in my head was that of not wantin to put my fingers in my mouth after they've just been typing on my dirty keyboard all the time)

but really this is the only way you can stop your problems or develop new habits. get a new image in your head and KEEP it there, don't just have it one day and let it go the next, the longer you hold the image the more permanent the change will be until eventually you no longer have to conciously keep the image in your mind. It's 'single mindedness'

7. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Not everyone can do this. If it works for you, consider yourself lucky.

8. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

Oh? I thought you could "just do it"?