silly answers

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by warren, Feb 3, 2004.

1. warren

warren Valued Member

silly aswers

when i use the forum i use it to try and get hopefully some expert advise from people from around the world yet so often i get some really juicy jems of what i call a complete waste of time useless info.
    i'll ask a question on how to make a technique more efficient or practical and the answer i'll get will range from apply principals not technique, enter lower and apply more kuzushi,just smack him in the ribs or the best one of all i'm sick of answering this question of how to make things work in the real world.
    perhaps i should mention i am a dan grade and don't profess to know everything but when i ask a question about a technique it would be nice to get an answer relating to the application of the technique and not peals of wisdom like why don't you try this techniqe instead because i'm trying to improve the technique i've asked the question about and if it doesn't work in the real world then its art for arts sake and not martial.
    so please,please,please when answering a question at least stick to the technique thats been asked about and if your sick of answering the same question don't reply simple.

2. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Suggest that if you’re a dan grade, you should already have the answers (if not a very good idea) to the questions you pose.

Technique is useless without principles; principles are meaningless unless they are used with understanding to the technique..

Attitude is the KEY factor in establishing the right application, either in training or god forbid, the street.

Find an uke that will attack you with 'intent' and see if you’re years leading up to your Yudansha have been fulfilling, especially if you are looking for realism in your skills.

Also suggest that you go to a Karate or Jujitsu dojo and train with these disciplines, this will quickly highlight where you are weak.

Finally, and respectfully, you post on a public forum, accept the replies you get otherwise don't post in future. If you want individualism in your answers you’re Instructor or others within your organisation should be the people to ask these questions, not, a public fora.

Regards

3. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

It's been my experience that techniques and applications are really hard to describe in writing. Maybe you need to be more clear about what you want in your posts.

4. warren

warren Valued Member

dave i must admit your replies have actually been useful,i am actually a dan grade in ju jutsu but was hoping to increase my knowledge on the forum by asking questions as i believe first dan simply means first step not that i shouldn't keep trying to build on my foundations.
    my problem is i've always been taught to question things not just to believe everything you are told.
    i accept i have to listen to other peoples opinions but it would be nice if they stuck to the topic and not think i'm trying to pick faults with their chosen arts.

5. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Warren.

Ok things make sense to me now, my apologies if my previous response might have sounded condescending, it was not entirely intended. The questions you were asking (and legitimately I might add) didn't seem to me to be coming from an Aikido dan grade, obviously I now know your primary art is Jujitsu, thanks for the clarification. :)

It is right to question the things you are taught however; I have also seen the rather adverse side to this approach. If a student questions everything an instructor teaches or says, it can create a rather unfavourable environment for the class, Yes I accept that any martial art has to be 'made to work' for each individual student however, one must, as a student, trust the instructor to pass on sound technically correct technique. I also accept there are a number of 'McSensei' running 'McDojo' but, if you (anyone) makes it their intention to practice their art at seminars and summer schools, one quickly realises that one's instructor may be less than expected.

It is difficult to articulate without illustration the method of a technique, or tips that enhance technique etc, on these forums so, whenever you get a reply to questions you post, you should also take what’s said with a degree of scepticism. Although through experience you may be able to tell if someone actually knows what they're saying, you'll never really know. I speak from experience having seen a student trying to apply movements and techniques that didn't resemble Aikido at all, when questioned what the hell he was doing, he said he'd read it in a book then asked advice on a forum about the technique !!

Sorry for the sermon :) :)

DaveH

6. warren

warren Valued Member

thanks again dave for the advise given,i'm lucky to have a good instructor,i'm just interested in the way different arts apply techniques to see if it can improve what i already know,i'm also very interested in applying more aiki into my techniques.
    ps
    sermons welcome

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

warren if you're interested in learning how other arts do things to better your own technique the best way to go about it is to go learn that art.

I appologise if I was abrupt with you before. However comments like "as a boxer I think I'd be too fast for any body to catch my arm" only serve to annoy people. It probably wasn't your intent. But it does come across as a bit arrogant.

I'll finish by saying you should never complain about being reminded the principal behind a technique is more important. Without it the technique wouldn't exist. More importantly a greater understanding of how the technique actualy works from a basic level would not only have answerd your question but will open up countless other posibilites. Important information if your going to apply a technique in a real fight. After all you'd be lucky to apply a technique in the street exactly as you would in the dojo.

8. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

This is quite a paradox, you ask for answers, and then you question our answers, and then those answers. Much like the enquiring todler. Dont take this as condescending, i am hoping you will see the humor in your precept and how futile it makes our efforts in answering it :).

To me it sounds like some one will have to *show* you how to make it effective. The majority of what they will show you are small nuances of principals of a particular technique. So in short, go and find the answers your self, what you are asking is beyond the capacity of this board's (or any for that matter) ability to answer.

I hope you find the answers your looking for. It's going to cost you a good amount of time in the dojo though.

Kind Regards

9. warren

warren Valued Member

virtuous,
    thanks for the reply i agree with what you say though i have managed to get a few good tips as reguards to techniques,i think its a case of read 10 replys and get 1 practical answer.