Silat??

Discussion in 'Silat' started by NeonxBurst, Mar 23, 2004.

1. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

I study TKD and was just wondering what Silat is.

2. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Silat is a Martial Art that comes from Southeast Asia: Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, some parts of Thailand and Philipines. If you have the chance to see Silat conventions or seminars, you will see the beauty of Silat. The beauty of silat cannot be describe with words. You have to see it yourself.

Silat have many styles. I'm not sure how many but maybe hundreds or even thousands. You should ask pesilat or you could go to Silat forum and have a general idea about it.

3. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

And ohh..I forgot to mention that silat too have various form of weapon combats. Traditional weapons like keris, taichat, parang, sticks, etc.

Every style of silat has its own unique style of combat. Some styles of silat are 'hard' eg. Silat Harimau(tiger) consist more on groundfighting and power while some styles are 'soft'. 'Soft' means you don't fight using your max strength but you kind'f absorb it and used it back to your opponent (some may differs). Just like you don't fight a rock hitting another rock but maybe you become the water. So, it all depends on what style are you learning or you want to learn.

4. bernie

bernie New Member

Aloha !

If you are interested about silat, consider looking at this website: suwandaacademy or mandemuda . Both can be found by doing a search and it is a West Javanese/Sundanese system of silat. Indonesian in origin and a system I was fortunate to learn from the late Pendekar Herman Suwanda. Incidentally, this past weekend was the aniversary of his passing as well. It is now 4 years since he left us and hope that all of you who were privileged enough to have known him or attended his seminars remember him as well and pay homage to his contribution especially in the US for his dedication to silat. Mahalo

5. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Hey, I see your hawaiian and I just was wondering if your from Hawaii and wich island of Hawaii?

6. bernie

bernie New Member

Brother from Hawaii Kai. I have a class at Aina Haina shopping center every sunday.
    Just email me via my profile here for additional info.

Mahalo

7. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

intan...what is taichat and parang....i train in silat too, its called Jati wisesa. have you heard of it?

8. amirul_tekpi79

amirul_tekpi79 Valued Member

Parang

Peace to all,

Hello ptkali778,

sorry that i'm interrupting your question to Intan86.

Parang is similar to Golok or machete. Taichat is unfamiliar to me. Maybe it's an indigenous weapon of Borneo :confused: This we need your help Intan86.

I've heard of Silat Jati Wisesa. If i'm not mistaken, the silat guru in Canada is Guru Roedy Wiranatakusumah.

Have you learn all 25 jurus? What are the weapons of choice for Jati Wisesa?

peace

9. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

tnx amirul tekpi79....i only know golok, im still a beginner....i've reach up to 15 jurus, but im still struggling with it, im comfortable up to 10 jurus, name's are confusing...

10. amirul_tekpi79

Jurus Jati Wisesa

Peace to all,

Don't worry cause malay/indonesian is an easy language to learn :)

I went to Jati Wisesa's website just now and got the names of the 25 jurus;

Susun
    Potong
    Sikut
    Depan potong
    Depan sikut
    Simur
    Selup
    Tebang atas
    Tebang bawah
    Sangkol
    Alip sangkol
    Sentak
    Gendong macan
    Kwitang
    Kiprat
    Stembak
    Serong
    Alip catok
    Alip naga berenang kedet
    Kepruk dongkari
    Dongkari tunggal
    Tendang besot paksi muih
    Alip tileup leungit
    Lube

Are they in order? If it is, then you are at Sangkol? Because some of these names are in Sundanese, i have difficulty in understanding them myself. (opps...have to take that 'easy language' stuff back! :D )

What are the jurus like? How long does it take to learn one jurus?

all the best,
    peace

11. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

no they are not...it goes
    jurus
    susun
    potong
    sikut
    depan potong
    depan sikut
    simur
    selup
    tebang atas
    tebang bawah
    sangkol
    alip sengko
    sentak
    gendong makan
    kwitang
    kiprat
    stembak
    serong
    alip catok
    alip naga berenang kedet
    kepruk dongkari
    dongkari tunggal
    tendang besot peksi muih
    alip tileup leungit
    and lube.........
    well first jurus is 3 movements, and as you move up more movements are added...

12. amirul_tekpi79

thanks

Peace to all,

Thanks!

What else do you learn in Jati Wisesa other than jurus?

peace

13. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

first we start with pernafasan then juros.....and some feeling of energy i cant quite explain...maybe you can explain to me bout feeling energy.....

14. amirul_tekpi79

energy?

Peace to all,

Energy? i think it's best you ask your teachers or friends in Jati Wisesa.

When i train, the things that i feel are; (in no particular order, i think)

excited cause i'm about to train again after a week long absence

nervous cause i don't want to disappoint myself or my instructors

anxious cause i'm not sure whether i'm going to get another buah or not

humble cause i know i'm surrounded by better and more knowledgeable
    people

alert cause i don't want to lose any info that my teachers/instructors
    are giving and cause i don't want to hurt or cause harm to my
    partner during drills due to my own silly mistakes

apologetic cause if i did do things wrongly, i will apologise to them

and finally, the adrenaline rushing through my veins everytime i'm knocked, swinged, tossed, sweeped, and forced down by either my teachers or my partners/brothers & sisters in silat. ;)

peace