silat training

Discussion in 'Silat' started by ptkali778, Mar 18, 2007.

1. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

thinking of going to indonesia sometime next year. can you guys recommend a school? expenses like lodging, food and travel. any info would be much appreciated

2. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Dunno if you've been to the Far East before or not so excuse me if I'm telling you what you already know :) .

How long for?
    Most Westerners can only get a 1 month visa now...used to be 2 months :cry: However, you can always get a cheap return flight to Singapore, KL or BKK.

Where do you want to go? There are 17000 or so islands but I expect you'd end up on Java, Sumatra or Bali to start with. The unofficial capital of silat is the area around Bandung, but silat exists everywhere it's just finding it as a Westerner or bule ;)

Costs....well I'd be hard pressed spending 50 pounds a week unless I was somewhere that involved bars....like Bali.

Travel...take the train or bus. Yes, flying can be very cheap and useful for covering distance, but where's the fun in that? Sat on a bus chatting & sharing food you might just find a teacher ;)

Top Tips...

Learn some Bahasa Indonesia before you go. Just basic greetings, introductions & the like will be well appreciated show you have made the effort.

As with most of Asia, always try to be polite, respectful and softly spoken.

Eat at warungs.....good places for the local lowdown :)

Oh, and climb a volcano............. :eek:

3. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Going Ndhonez...

Where are you now? If you are in the USA I would suggest contacting either or all these names: Guru Yana in New York, the Mande Muda school, - or Bobbe Edmunds who posts here for guidance. If you are in the UK contact Aidinal Alrashid, Abdurrahman who teaches Cimande in the 7 Sisters Naqshbandi mosque in London, or the Walisongo group in Hendon for pointers.

If you are not in the UK or the USA I would suggest you post your question in the martial arts forum on the Indonesian triple double you dot kaskus.us site. As for food, travel and lodging you could quite easily get everything for free but you would need to contribute in a freindly, family way. On a US $ 30 a day budget you could get by very well. Just remember that in Indonesia things can't be done in haste.

Warm salaams,
    KC.

4. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

There's talk of organizing a training program for foreigners at the main training hall in Jakarta. but, as far as I know, nothing has been confirmed... might be up and running in 2008.

you can train in Bandung with Ibu Rita (head of Mande Muda). I recommend sending a query through their website www.suwandaacademy.com

especially when it comes to pencak silat. Unlike kali, Silat is typically taught with forms(jurus) first. I have a background in kali/silat/JKD/BJJ and I found it really frustrating to do all the "dancing" and not just learning and drilling the techniques.

now i actually think it's worth it ... i mean, the way p.s. is revealed so slowly, it really "hooks" me...like a good mystery novel: I just want to study it more and more.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  5. bayu segara

bayu segara New Member

you can go to jogja. you can learn Tapak Suci silat or Merpati Putih or others. It is nice place man....If you come from US, you can learn merpati putih in jogja and continue your lesson in US. There are 2 american brothers who open merpati putih class in US. 'Semoga mendapatkan padepokan silat yang cocok'. :cool:

6. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

Ptkali778 , did you have a particular style of silat in mind? If you have a foundation in Pekiti Tersia, perhaps you're looking for a style that will complement your previous training and motor skills. In that case I think you should look for pencak silat cimande. I've studied both and found a lot of similarities.

7. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

im in canada. never been to indonesia

8. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

i dont have a particular style in mind, im curious about cimande, cikalong or syahbandar. i've heard about it, but dont have much info

9. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Kuntau Macan is in Canada

The grandmaster of Silat Kuntau Macan is in Canada... his student Dr Phil Davies is in Reading, UK. I think that you can google the names and find contacts. From my experience training with Dr Phil the silat is a blend of Kuntau and west Jawa tiger. Silat Kuntau Macan is IPSI recognized. You should be able to get contacts in Indonesia from them.

Good luck,
    KC

10. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

thanks. i'll do that

11. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

they are in alberta, canada. im 10 hours away. im in vancouver, british columbia

12. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

what do you guys think of cikalong?
    i was also looking into seni silat gayang?

13. SundaWarrior

SundaWarrior Valued Member

Salam

Cikalong is a very good system to learn. From the little I have learned so far Cikalong players like to stay within very close range - I am talking about elbow distance - it is a fast and brutal system of fighting. I am actually leaving for Cikalong Village in Cianjur, West Java next Sunday. If you would like I can make contacts for you. I must talk with you privately first just to better understand your character before I vouch for you but I am sure you are a humble person if you are seeking out Pencak enough to go to Indonesia.
    As for Silat Seni Gayong, if I am not mistaken it is Malaysian Silat so I am sure the headquarters is probably in Malaysia but there has got to be some teachers in Indonesia as well. There are some very good Gayong players here in the U.S. I think they are in Michigan or one of the North Central States. Hope this helps.

14. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

singapore

hi,
    I might be heading to singapore for a week or two in February/March.
    My wife has an aunt there.
    I have no background in silat, my training has been in kali for the last five years. I did some training with a mande muda player for about two years in the kali school. He never mentioned much about it, but his submissions were great, if you werent on the receiving end!! Even then, he was pretty open about showing it to you.
    Anyhow, any information on getting introduced to a silat instructor would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Gordon

15. Zeras

Zeras New Member

all ways and I mean all ways try to be respectfull to everyone and you are ok,
    that how I deal with my parents who are old school Asians :) but you know I learned alot of repsect by seeing how even today they fear and respect all
    elderly people :Angel:

I'm sure you'll find a good place don't worry about it :D